Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: What PAPER you use if printing urself??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default What PAPER you use if printing urself??

    Any idea? I used the Cannon Glossy Card. 4x6 one.
    But the effect not as good as the A4 provided free when buying Espon Printer.

    What recommandations?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Which printer are you using? Did you get the Canon S820 or S9000? I remember reading that you are planning to get that.

    I am using Canon S9000 that I got last week. Had been printing on Kodak Premium Picture Paper and got very good results. BUT!!!! that is provided I use the profile provided by a gentleman called Joe Barnhart who has kindly published a suite of different profiles for different papers on his website.

    If I use Kodak recommended settings for that paper on S9000, I get very poor results.

    If you are not using the Canon printer than I shall save the details.

    Canon Photo Paper Pro has been highly rated. Not sure if that is the same paper as the one you are using.

    Try to get the right colout management profile for the printer and the paper you are using.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi roygoh,
    I own a Canon S800 and have tried the Kodak PPP but could not get accurate colours. Tried tuning the driver settings as recommended by some pple in dpreview but still not good. What is this profile that u are using and can share? Thanks!
    Oh, yes, Canon PPP is wonderfully painless to get good prints, except on the pocket....

    ..NuTs..


    Originally posted by roygoh
    Which printer are you using? Did you get the Canon S820 or S9000? I remember reading that you are planning to get that.

    I am using Canon S9000 that I got last week. Had been printing on Kodak Premium Picture Paper and got very good results. BUT!!!! that is provided I use the profile provided by a gentleman called Joe Barnhart who has kindly published a suite of different profiles for different papers on his website.

    If I use Kodak recommended settings for that paper on S9000, I get very poor results.

    If you are not using the Canon printer than I shall save the details.

    Canon Photo Paper Pro has been highly rated. Not sure if that is the same paper as the one you are using.

    Try to get the right colout management profile for the printer and the paper you are using.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Try the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl inkjet paper. It's very good, so good that it can impress people from a pro lab!

    Costs $19 for 25 sheets in a nice red box, available from Ruby Photo. Much better value for money than the equivalent Epson papers.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5

    Default

    I am presently using Epson Archival Matte and the semiglossy and premium glossy papers. Using the Epson 1270 printer...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    It's probably not dissimilar from film really. Try out as many as you can, do your own tests, and then keep a whole range in your arsenal. If anything, I'd say the differences in paper are greater than the differences from one film to the next.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    Try the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl inkjet paper. It's very good, so good that it can impress people from a pro lab!

    Costs $19 for 25 sheets in a nice red box, available from Ruby Photo. Much better value for money than the equivalent Epson papers.

    Regards
    CK
    can i know where is ruby photos?
    they got branches? prefer something closer to the east

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Mystix


    can i know where is ruby photos?
    they got branches? prefer something closer to the east
    Ruby Photo is in Penisula Hotel, next to Funan, opposite Penisula Plaza where Cathay Photo is. They have no other branches afaik.

    Regards
    CK

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh

    Canon Photo Paper Pro has been highly rated. Not sure if that is the same paper as the one you are using.

    yah i second that. using it with canon s600. think will be even nicer if i was using a s800.

  10. #10
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Have the same printer as zapp! but having played around with Kodak and some no-name 3rd party brand papers, reverted back to Epson's papers for best results.

    Currently using:-
    1. Matte Heavyweight paper (A4 & A3)
    2. Premium Glossy paper
    3. Premium Semi-Gloss paper

    After mucho experimenting and paper/ink wastage, I find that the best setting for my printer is to use PhotoEnhance at Normal setting and no Effects. Turning on profiles and ICC just really messes up the prints.

    Will be trying that Ilford paper that ckiang is so enthusiastic about.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by nuts
    Hi roygoh,
    I own a Canon S800 and have tried the Kodak PPP but could not get accurate colours. Tried tuning the driver settings as recommended by some pple in dpreview but still not good. What is this profile that u are using and can share? Thanks!
    Oh, yes, Canon PPP is wonderfully painless to get good prints, except on the pocket....

    ..NuTs..


    The reason you cannot get satisfactory results by just tuning the colour setting in the driver is because the driver colour adjustment is too simple. Colour profiles are done by people with the right equipment, namely, the printer, a scanner, and the paper that he/she is generating the profile for.

    I am not too sure of the details, but what I have been reading, I gathered that the process involves printing a special test pattern of different colour stripes with varying intensity on the target paper, and than scanning the print and use a special software to compare the scanned print against the original file. The result is a colour profile for the printer and that particular paper that can be used by the printer driver to fine tune the colours.

    Imagine having individual curve control for each of the colours separately. You end up having a custom colour profile for the printer/paper combination that is simply not achievable no mater how you tweak the sliders in the driver.

    Trust me. I've gone through more than 20 pieces of the Kodak paper over the weekend, trying to tweak the colours myself. When I got to best that I could get, the results are still a long way from what the colour profile can deliver. If I had read about the profiles last Friday, I would have saved myself a lot of time, paper and ink.

    Having said all that, I am not sure if it is applicable to the S800. The profiles are created by a Joe Barnhart, and you can download them from his website at http://wandb.com/icc.htm.

    I suggest you check your user manual as well as Canon's website to see if the S900/9000 profiles can be used for S800.

    The installation steps are simple, but I would like to have you check on the suitability before we talk further on this.
    Last edited by roygoh; 15th June 2002 at 01:22 AM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  12. #12

    Default

    how about colour laser printer , anyone hv experience with that ?
    any paper to go along with colour laser printer ?

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    Have the same printer as zapp! but having played around with Kodak and some no-name 3rd party brand papers, reverted back to Epson's papers for best results.

    Currently using:-
    1. Matte Heavyweight paper (A4 & A3)
    2. Premium Glossy paper
    3. Premium Semi-Gloss paper

    After mucho experimenting and paper/ink wastage, I find that the best setting for my printer is to use PhotoEnhance at Normal setting and no Effects. Turning on profiles and ICC just really messes up the prints.

    Will be trying that Ilford paper that ckiang is so enthusiastic about.
    Darren, when u print from PS what color space do u put for your printer?

  14. #14

    Default

    Hi ckiang,
    I actually tried the Ilford Galerie after u (or was it u?) posted in the forum some time back. But I tried the glossy one instead (green pack). The results were great and I was really happy. However, after a couple of days, found that the ink seems to 'leak', ie. the picture will have a magenta 'outline' as if the magenta part of the picture have shifted by a few pixels... I'm using the Canon S800. Whats your printer & have u tried the green pack?

    ..NuTs..


    Originally posted by ckiang
    Try the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl inkjet paper. It's very good, so good that it can impress people from a pro lab!

    Costs $19 for 25 sheets in a nice red box, available from Ruby Photo. Much better value for money than the equivalent Epson papers.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by nuts
    Hi ckiang,
    I actually tried the Ilford Galerie after u (or was it u?) posted in the forum some time back. But I tried the glossy one instead (green pack). The results were great and I was really happy. However, after a couple of days, found that the ink seems to 'leak', ie. the picture will have a magenta 'outline' as if the magenta part of the picture have shifted by a few pixels... I'm using the Canon S800. Whats your printer & have u tried the green pack?

    ..NuTs..

    Only tried the Red "Smooth Pearl" one after a very good review by Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape. My prints have not had any problems. My printer is the Epson Stylus Photo 890. There's a very slight magenta cast which can be corrected easily in the printer driver.

    Regards
    CK

  16. #16
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by zapp!

    Darren, when u print from PS what color space do u put for your printer?
    For print, I work in AdobeRGB colorspace and save the files in AdobeRGB. If i do print from PS (very seldom), i dont set any profiling or color mgmt, just leave it to the printer driver.

    I use QImage Pro to print multiple prints on a single sheet - here I set to use embedded color profile for input, Spyder profile for monitor and NO ICC/profile for printer. Then set the appropriate settings in Epson printer driver.

  17. #17

    Default

    Hehe, of course trust u cos I've gone through 1 pack of Kodak PPP as well and same conclusion with u ...

    Didn't really bother abt the icc thingy cos I thought it will benefit only if your whole process flow include icc. Anyway, will take a look at it, if only that link u provided works.....

    Thanks

    ..NuTs..

    Originally posted by roygoh

    ....

    Trust me. I've gone through more than 20 pieces of the Kodak paper over the weekend, trying to tweak the colours myself. When I got to best that I could get, the results are still a long way from what the colour profile can deliver. If I had read about the profiles last Friday, I would have saved myself a lot of time, paper and ink.

    Having said all that, I am not sure if it is applicable to the S800. The profiles are created by a Joe Barnhart, and you can download them from his website at http://wandb.com/icc.htm.

    I suggest you check your user manual as well as Canon's website to see if the S900/9000 profiles can be used for S800.

    The installation steps are simple, but I would like to have you check on the suitability before we talk further on this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default

    No... I got the S520 instead. Cheaper. But print out is really good enuf. Just wanna know what photo paper is really good.

    Originally posted by roygoh
    Which printer are you using? Did you get the Canon S820 or S9000? I remember reading that you are planning to get that.

    I am using Canon S9000 that I got last week. Had been printing on Kodak Premium Picture Paper and got very good results. BUT!!!! that is provided I use the profile provided by a gentleman called Joe Barnhart who has kindly published a suite of different profiles for different papers on his website.

    If I use Kodak recommended settings for that paper on S9000, I get very poor results.

    If you are not using the Canon printer than I shall save the details.

    Canon Photo Paper Pro has been highly rated. Not sure if that is the same paper as the one you are using.

    Try to get the right colout management profile for the printer and the paper you are using.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by siron
    No... I got the S520 instead. Cheaper. But print out is really good enuf. Just wanna know what photo paper is really good.

    I see. I am using Kodak Premium Picture Paper. The price is very good here in the States (~US$0.20~0.25 per letter sized sheet). I have got very good results that are comparable to the original Canon PPP which costs 3 times as much.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  20. #20
    itanium
    Guests

    Default

    how does the ultima picture paper(ultra glossy) compare? got it @ 23/15pcs... i feel a bit exp though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •