Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

  1. #21
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives

    because one upon a time, PalmOS dominated the PDA market. then Microsoft came along, BANG, bye bye to PalmOS.

    It ruled the market for a while, then came along Apple and Android. It's pretty obvious now MS lose to these 2 competitors.

    Will MS give up, no way, the fight will continue.
    I switched windows mobile briefly from a long Nokia stint to an O2 atom. Didn't like the experience. N went back to Nokia. The old windows CE days of atoms n ipaqs never really hurt Nokia then.

    But that was sometime ago.

    Nokia would make a fantastic hardware carrier, and they might just drive the market penetration of WM. The symbiosis might just strike a deal actually. N Microsoft is not going to give up.

    Meanwhile Apple the California fruit company will continue to innovate, and Google will let open source run everywhere as far as it can fly ( n yet still make much money from iPhones heh).

    Ryan

  2. #22
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    I do like to see android on a nokia though. Hahah.
    Still can. If the Nokia hardware is fantastic, I will dualboot WM 7/8 whatever into Gingerbread/Honeycomb/Ice cream!

    Bhwahahaha

    Ryan

  3. #23

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    I bet that most of the people who say Windows CE/WIndows Mobile sucks have never used Windows Phone 7 before.

    Advice: if you have not used it, stay silent. Having reviewed 3 Windows Phone 7 handsets last year, i can say that the user experience is almost superior to both Android and iOS COMBINED, if not for a few teething issues Microsoft have yet to fix.

    Don't group Windows Phone 7 into the same class as Windows CE, Windows Pocket PC and Windows MObile. It is a complete insult to the new mobile OS Microsoft has delivered.

  4. #24
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    window 7 is an OS that's half a year old. Have u even use android when it was in it's 1.5 or 1.6? Or iOs 1.1 , 2.1? Pek Chek. The early iphone OS dun even have sms functions.
    Do you know multitasking is not available on the iphone until version 4? And do you know that multitasking on android slows down the phone (even though they say the OS is smart to close the software when you dun need it? )

    Give it time and Win7 will become pretty decent and i think it's pretty decent now actually.
    People think it sucks b/c it's different from android or iOS, but if u think it's the same, Win7 will be just a shadow. They deliberately make it different, yet user friendly to appeal to it's own niche.

    It's a pretty strategic move that nokia come together with Microsoft. It's romance of the three kingdoms 三 国 顶 利 。。。The battle will be interesting.

    I do like to see android on a nokia though. Hahah.

    The reason why we said it s**ks, is because that Microsoft didn't learn the lesson from older iOS or Android OS of yester years.... like you said... its only 6 mths old, but is already outdated when it arrived.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  5. #25
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Apple, Google (Android) or Window?

    I place my last dollar on Android
    How can you not mention Blackberry OS?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  6. #26

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    The reason why we said it s**ks, is because that Microsoft didn't learn the lesson from older iOS or Android OS of yester years.... like you said... its only 6 mths old, but is already outdated when it arrived.
    And Windows Mobile OS is not 6 months old, it's much older already, from the older Windows Mobile OS 5/6 etc. iOS had no multitask, and iOS 4 had it. WinMo had no multitask, and still has no multitask. And what's with the no copy/paste function, it's pretty crap to come up with an OS that is incomplete and say that you will "add those soon". Copy paste is a very basic function, why is it not there? IMO they rushed it out too soon and in order to really compete with the giants, they need to come up with all these stuff before they release. If the OS is incomplete, it needs something special, like open source for Android and ease of use (and eye candy) for iOS. WinMo has nothing special other than integrated Microsoft Office, which is clunky to use on such a small screen. Office integration would work much better if they came out with a Winmo touchscreen tablet.
    Last edited by brapodam; 13th February 2011 at 11:52 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    it needs something special, like open source for Android and ease of use (and eye candy) for iOS. WinMo has nothing special other than integrated Microsoft Office
    which is the selling point. windows mobile is for executives who need to access their emails, officice documents and etc...they don't care about eyes candy, gadget and stuff, those are toys, those are for boys.

    all they need is to click 1 button and it will sync everything with their laptop or PC.

    iphone and andriod? you have to select this select that, music? wth??pic? huh?? you think executive know how to do that?

    many yrs back i was once working as a help desk, and most of the time they do not know how to sync their phone if the application is too complicated.

    i came all the way from Palm OS, my 1st device is TRGpro. They have all those eyes candy stuff, i been there and tired of it, it never ends.

    Apple and Android make applications more easy to accessible through "market", which is innovative and smart. but sooner or later, users will realize they are all the same and will get sick of it...
    Last edited by ninelives; 13th February 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Objection !!!

  8. #28

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    which is the selling point. windows mobile is for executives who need to access their emails, officice documents and etc...they don't care about eyes candy, gadget and stuff, those are toys, those are for boys.

    all they need is to click 1 button and it will sync everything with their laptop or PC.

    iphone and andriod? you have to select this select that, music? wth??pic? huh?? you think executive know how to do that?

    many yrs back i was once working as a help desk, and most of the time they do not know how to sync their phone if the application is too complicated.

    i came all the way from Palm OS, my 1st device is TRGpro. They have all those eyes candy stuff, i been there and tired of it, it never ends.

    Apple and Android make applications more easy to accessible through "market", which is innovative or smart. but sooner or later, users will realize they are all the same and will get sick of it...
    But Office integration isn't very useful with the small screens of touchscreen phones. I haven't used any Winmo phones so I can't comment on how well the Office integration works, but it will definitely be much better on a tablet than a phone. Which is where I think they should move towards. Tablet, not phone. Phones don't do justice to their selling point.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    How can you not mention Blackberry OS?
    From what I read, these three leaders do not take blackberry as competition!
    always the Light, .... always.

  10. #30
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    From what I read, these three leaders do not take blackberry as competition!
    BlackBerry OS still has a seizable chunk of the smartphone platform market. In actual fact by your definition, Research In Motion (RIM) BlackBerry OS has far more users than the "leading" Windows Mobile thus positioning itself just sightly behind iOS in Q4 2010.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  11. #31

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Negative (Symbian) x Negative (Windows Mobile) = Positive.
    best application of mathematical theories ever ;D

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Have you not heard about David and the Goliath?
    lol Goliath=Apple David=Nokia. let Nokia throw a small stone @ the iPhone 4 and watch a magnificent crack form on the ultra-sensitive glass hahahaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    From what I read, these three leaders do not take blackberry as competition!
    Blackberry is in a league of its own hahaha
    canon fan boy ;D

  12. #32

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    BB is a common item in thailand or BKK

  13. #33

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    And Windows Mobile OS is not 6 months old, it's much older already, from the older Windows Mobile OS 5/6 etc. iOS had no multitask, and iOS 4 had it. WinMo had no multitask, and still has no multitask. And what's with the no copy/paste function, it's pretty crap to come up with an OS that is incomplete and say that you will "add those soon". Copy paste is a very basic function, why is it not there? IMO they rushed it out too soon and in order to really compete with the giants, they need to come up with all these stuff before they release. If the OS is incomplete, it needs something special, like open source for Android and ease of use (and eye candy) for iOS. WinMo has nothing special other than integrated Microsoft Office, which is clunky to use on such a small screen. Office integration would work much better if they came out with a Winmo touchscreen tablet.
    Don't mix up Windows Phone with Windows Mobile. Windows Phone OS (WP) is not Windows Mobile (WinMo). WP is a completely different OS than WinMo despite the "Windows" in the name and the numbering. WP is only a couple of months old. WinMo has multitasking, copy and paste, etc. WP has no multitasking, no copy and paste (until the first patch arrives), no local sync with documents, etc.
    Last edited by Convoy; 13th February 2011 at 10:25 PM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Still can. If the Nokia hardware is fantastic, I will dualboot WM 7/8 whatever into Gingerbread/Honeycomb/Ice cream!

    Bhwahahaha

    Ryan
    if we can have android on the N8...i think i happy le. The N8 at about 500 is a sweet price point. Good camera, good sound, excellent screen, good battery life. Only thing that suck is the Os ( and the lack of apps with the symbian OS)
    In terms of hardware, there's not an android phone that comes close to the N8. Not even those $800 desire HD...

    I really hope someone manage to hack and run a froyo on N8...

    And i dun really understand the release of those dual core tegra smartphones... I mean, other than games, what software actually requires such power?

  15. #35
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    if we can have android on the N8...i think i happy le. The N8 at about 500 is a sweet price point. Good camera, good sound, excellent screen, good battery life. Only thing that suck is the Os ( and the lack of apps with the symbian OS)
    In terms of hardware, there's not an android phone that comes close to the N8. Not even those $800 desire HD...

    I really hope someone manage to hack and run a froyo on N8...

    And i dun really understand the release of those dual core tegra smartphones... I mean, other than games, what software actually requires such power?

    I want Angry Birds in 3D

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  16. #36

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Apple is developing a new line of smaller n cheaper iPhones - code named N97, about half the size of iPhone 4 and will cost half as much! WSj reported.
    This aims at slowing down the advancing handsets based on Android software.
    always the Light, .... always.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by Convoy View Post
    Don't mix up Windows Phone with Windows Mobile. Windows Phone OS (WP) is not Windows Mobile (WinMo). WP is a completely different OS than WinMo despite the "Windows" in the name and the numbering. WP is only a couple of months old. WinMo has multitasking, copy and paste, etc. WP has no multitasking, no copy and paste (until the first patch arrives), no local sync with documents, etc.
    Realistically speaking, they just renamed it as it had a bad rep. WP, Winmo, I don't care. So what if it's a new OS. They shouldn't have taken away those functions of Winmo just to make it suck less. It's not the way to do things. You ever see them take away Windows Media Player or something as they progressed through Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 etc? Aren't they all different OSes? They worked on the base OS and then improve it. Not take away stuff to make it lag less cos they couldn't optimise their OS properly.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    This incident really amused me.

    I was queuing up for my iphone 4 months back when it was first launched. There was a big display of the iphone 4 infront of the M1 shop. It was late and the staff wanted to keep the big iphone 4 display but before that, they had to switch off the screen on the display and guess what, it was running on a MS Window! haha. We were laughing our heads off.. are we buying a window OS of iphone 4 in disguise?!!
    Visit my flickr at Pixels Palette's Flickr

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

    Quote Originally Posted by Etna-sama View Post
    I bet that most of the people who say Windows CE/WIndows Mobile sucks have never used Windows Phone 7 before.

    Advice: if you have not used it, stay silent. Having reviewed 3 Windows Phone 7 handsets last year, i can say that the user experience is almost superior to both Android and iOS COMBINED, if not for a few teething issues Microsoft have yet to fix.

    Don't group Windows Phone 7 into the same class as Windows CE, Windows Pocket PC and Windows MObile. It is a complete insult to the new mobile OS Microsoft has delivered.
    Sure, Windows Phone 7 is supposedly based on the Zune codebase, which is superior to Windows Mobile.

    Few people are buying. LG went as far to blame WP7 for poor sales of the phones they made specifically for the operating system.

    Given that the Europeans almost hate Microsoft, I doubt that they'll be buying Nokia phones with WP7 installed. Nokia said that Symbian will continue in cheaper phones and MeeGo is suddenly Intel-only.

    I expect RIM to move to a hybrid QNX/BlackBerry product and finish off what remains of Nokia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •