Thread: Basic handling tips for newbie with Olympus EPL2

Default Basic handling tips for newbie with Olympus EPL2

Hiya all,

I'm a new photographer and just purchased my first SLR - Olympus PEN EPL2. For those familiar with this camera, I have a few very basic handling questions:

- When detaching the lens, is it best to keep the release button held down the whole time you're rotating the lens off the body? Or do you only need to press the release button once, and then rotate the lens off the body?
    - If in auto focus mode, is it still alright to 'override' the auto focus by manually rotating the focus ring on the lens, or should we put the camera into manual focus mode before manually rotating the ring?

Thanks for any tips!

Default Re: Basic handling tips for newbie with Olympus EPL2

i keep the release button held down when changing lens, i think it is a personnal preference things, dont think they will be any difference.

i am guessing it is called quick shift, my pentax lens have that function as well.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Default Re: Basic handling tips for newbie with Olympus EPL2

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRoll View Post
    Hiya all,

I'm a new photographer and just purchased my first SLR - Olympus PEN EPL2. For those familiar with this camera, I have a few very basic handling questions:

- When detaching the lens, is it best to keep the release button held down the whole time you're rotating the lens off the body? Or do you only need to press the release button once, and then rotate the lens off the body?
    - If in auto focus mode, is it still alright to 'override' the auto focus by manually rotating the focus ring on the lens, or should we put the camera into manual focus mode before manually rotating the ring?

Thanks for any tips!
    Haven't personally held an EPL-2

1) The release button should be operating a physical catch? If so, you would have to hold down the release button and turn the lens a bit, otherwise if you let go, the catch will inhibit the lens. My personal habit is to hold the button down until the lens has come off the camera. Just being slightly KS.

2) A lot of lenses now have auto-focus yet allow manual over-ride. This is due to a more sophisticated clutch mechanism that prevents damage to the AF gears. But this does not apply to all lenses. Best to check with fellow users.

Perhaps you can post your queries in the micro four-thirds section? More specific to that group of users.
    Exploring! :)