Thread: computational photograph change the focus of a picture you’ve already taken

Default computational photograph change the focus of a picture you’ve already taken

In the future, the technology of computational photography may guide rescue robots, or endoscopes that need to peer around artery blockages. In camera phones, the technology can already merge two exposures of the same image. One day, it could even change the focus of a picture you’ve already taken.

At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one experimental camera has no lens at all: it uses reflected light, computer processing and other tools to let it see around corners.

Ramesh Raskar, leader of the Camera Culture research group at M.I.T., aims his camera and an ultrafast laser attachment at a door half-open into a model room containing simple objects. The laser — the equivalent of a flash — fires pulses shorter than a trillionth of a second. Light bounces off the door, scatters into the room, hits the objects within and then bounces back to the detector. Dr. Raskar traces those bouncing echoes of light photon by photon, based on when and where they land.

NYT
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Default Re: computational photograph change the focus of a picture you’ve already taken

I can imagine one day we throw off the Canon L Lens and Nikon Lens and use lens-less Canon Camera to snap photos
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Default Re: computational photograph change the focus of a picture you’ve already taken

IQ matters. I guess without the lens, you cannot have creamy bokeh? I think the above is about imaging and not entirely the art of taking photos.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 12th February 2011 at 03:13 AM.

Wow! So basically you can take 1 image, and the computer calculates it and you can then theoretically view the image from all angles I guess????

nahhh.....this tech is basically part of a larger tech to see around corners, or are a freaking good imager that can create image in ultra dark situations......i'd say the dynamic range will be very high.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    nahhh.....this tech is basically part of a larger tech to see around corners, or are a freaking good imager that can create image in ultra dark situations......i'd say the dynamic range will be very high.
    from the first posting, it suggest to me the 'camera' only works out the outline of the objects. certainly software can then be used to colour the objects, shades etc as needed, either based on heuristics or user suggestions.

Bokeh, no problem I think, if it can manipulate the focus since it has a sharp photo to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    I can imagine one day we throw off the Canon L Lens and Nikon Lens and use lens-less Canon Camera to snap photos
    sooner or later... we'll be shooting with L Sensors. not L Lenses.

this is quite old news. i remember reading the same news article 4 years back.
    it's called integral imaging.

the downside is that your image is severely undermined in the resolution area as more photosites are used to capture the derivative info of 1 practical pixel.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    sooner or later... we'll be shooting with L Sensors. not L Lenses.