Thread: Anyway to improve night shots, especially low lighting....

Default Anyway to improve night shots, especially low lighting....

Hi, currently I'm using my EOS 500D with Sigma 18-200m lens. I find quite difficult to shoot sharp images in low lightings without flash. Is there any ways to improve it? I tried playing with the ISO (Around 800~1600, 3200 too much noise), Shutter Speed ( max I go is 1/20) and Aperture (5.6), but some times still blur. Anyways to improve it? Must I get the powerful flash lights? Or shall I upgrade it to D7000? Pls advise. Thanks.

Default Re: Anyway to improve night shots, especially low lighting....

What are you shooting in the first place? Scene? people? insect?

thats why Fast Lens are so expensive...

the only way I could think of is, "DONT ZOOM" stick to 18mm where your aperture is the largest. When u rack out your 18-200mm to 200mm, your aperture is F5.6 the largest.
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    What are you shooting in the first place? Scene? people? insect?
    Shooting of people at stationary position.

Which fast lens would you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferderico View Post

the only way I could think of is, "DONT ZOOM" stick to 18mm where your aperture is the largest. When u rack out your 18-200mm to 200mm, your aperture is F5.6 the largest.

Quote Originally Posted by altantic View Post
    50mm f/1.8 could do. But keep in mind: when there is not enough light you can only increase ISO. Or shoot earlier.
    When using wide aperture do consider then thin DOF. Also, low light is challenging for the AF sensors.
    Last edited by Octarine; 11th February 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Ferderico View Post

Yes, stick to 18mm & set to f3.5

Don't jump into fast lens first. Get a Canon 50mm f1.8 from B&S for less than $100 & try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by josephlbt View Post
    Is this consider sharp??
    You can do it with a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by josephlbt View Post
    Is this consider sharp??
    Yes it is, i assume you use a tripod?

Hi, currently I'm using my EOS 500D with Sigma 18-200m lens. I find quite difficult to shoot sharp images in low lightings without flash. Is there any ways to improve it? I tried playing with the ISO (Around 800~1600, 3200 too much noise), Shutter Speed ( max I go is 1/20) and Aperture (5.6), but some times still blur. Anyways to improve it? Must I get the powerful flash lights? Or shall I upgrade it to D7000? Pls advise. Thanks.
    there are a few reasons why your shots are blurred. but i think for your case, it's because your shutter speed is too slow. with slow shutter speeds, any movement becomes a blur. especially hand-held at 1/20s

1) if your subject moves, subject becomes a blur
    2) if your hand shakes, everything becomes a blur

with flash, your shutter speed is increased so movement can be captured. i'm guessing it's the built-in flash? if you're shooting on any of the Auto-exposure modes i.e. AV/TV/P the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed for you.

also, if you don't use the flash, your camera will find it hard to focus. therefore you have to pump up the ISO. and it either results in grainier images, or OOF images because your camera got fooled into focusing on the wrong target. with shots at night, it's easier to use manual focus.

considered getting a flash?
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Shooting of people at stationary position.
    Use a tripod and make sure your subjects dun move.

Alternatively, use fast lenses of f1.8 or better...

Or else use flash and learn how to use the light.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I don't know whether this applies to DSLRs with OS, IS or VR abilities. I found out on my Canon G7 that if I turned of the image stabilization feature, I can take sharper looking night long exposure photos.
    Pursue your Interests! Think and find out for yourself. Learn from the Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by weeliano View Post
    I don't know whether this applies to DSLRs with OS, IS or VR abilities. I found out on my Canon G7 that if I turned of the image stabilization feature, I can take sharper looking night long exposure photos.
    Every camera recommends turning off the image stabilization when doing long shots on a tripod.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Don't jump into fast lens first. Get a Canon 50mm f1.8 from B&S for less than $100 & try it out.
    best advice.

To TS, dont jump into D7000 yet, i am sure a f1.8 and a higher ISO is sufficient.
    Visit me on Flickr!

some suggestions

1) Bump up your ISO. Even up to the maximum. On my D80, I dont mind going up to H1. Ask yourself this qs, what matters most? A sharp image with grains or a unusable blur image? With grains, I can still artificially remove them using photoshop.

2) After bumping up your iso, switch to aperture priority. How many ppl are you shooting?
    1=F1.8
    2= F4
    3=F5

Just a gauge and suggstion..not a must... reason being is the thin DOF.

3) Have you also toggle your EV? Bump it to the max.

On my overseas travel, I've manage to secure many priceless pics..if I have worried about noise and shoot at a lower shutter speed.. that would have been disastrous.

If the settings and technique is wrong, D7000 will also gives you blur pictures.

Personally, if I heard the word "night", the first thing that will pop up in my mind is tripod.

If cannot solve the problem, then next thing comes in is flash. If still cannot get what you want, then fast lens.

This is just a brief idea of mine as I don't really know waht exactly you're taking.