From the first post by TS, the discussion went from from 17-50 zoom, to 28 prime, to 85mm prime, 135mm prime, 100mm/f2.
Really, I'd suggest the following approach (as I have done for myself after shooting Nikons for 30+ yrs).
Decide first, what type of photography you shoot MOST of the time (in my case, it's travel and children's portraits <indoors and outdoors>)

1) For travel, I want the convenience of zooms as I don't want to miss a shot when there is the opportunity. For this, I carry 3 zooms for my D700; 14-24, 24-70, 70-200. Because I am shooting FX, the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 can also be used for children's portraits. My first approach was to get the 'best' zooms available for the type of body and type of shooting I mostly do.

2) I also have several primes lens for 'special' needs or projects. When I shoot creative landscapes, I use the Zeiss Distagon ZF 25mm/f2.8 which gives tremendous depth of field while focusing very close.

3) When I shoot tight head and shoulder portraits or when I want to go close, I use the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm/f2.0.

4) Lastly when I am on night shoots where 'low light' conditions are likely to be encountered, I shoot with the Nikon AF-S 50mm/f1.4G.

So, my suggestion would be to first build a series of zoom lenses that gives good image quality. Then select a couple of primes that meets some specific needs.

Hope this helps.