Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

  1. #21

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Exorbitant!

    People will ONE day realizes that is DOES NOT cost A$8 per simple meal!

    Look at some of the fast-food joints - charging almost coffee-houses price for mass-produced hyper-chemicalizied SHITTY dishes! Heard that there's some whatever celebrity-endorsed fried-chicken joint which charges almost 'fine-dining 'prices' for mass-produced foods. Last I saw, in a super high-density town central ... the place looked almost totally empty with the staff looking absolutely bored!

    Home cooked food can not only be much healthier, but TASTIER (if you know how to do it) and MUCH, MUCH CHEAPER!

    AND you EASILY could make it as UNHEALTHY, Cholesterol, Sugar, Salt and MSG LADEN as ANY hawker!

    MUCH MUCH CHEAPER!!!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th February 2011 at 12:36 AM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Food prices went up in a few places already.

    Thanks to oil prices increase, COE and other factors.

    It is just a matter of time that the food prices will be like in Australia, usually A$8 for a meal.
    already. go 313, order bak ku teh. $9.10 !! i gave her $10 and she gave back 10 cents, i was like "wtf????? and dont compare Australia lah alamak, the pay is highest than us. if u want to compare , might as well compare thailand, indonesia. really duh.
    Last edited by ninelives; 11th February 2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Objection !!!

  3. #23

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    It is just a matter of time that the food prices will be like in Australia, usually A$8 for a meal.
    Thought we are already at the doorstep with the beverage added in.

    $3.50-$4 quite a number of the stuff cannot eat one. They get an Indian to cook Japanese food (but granted some can cook tasty stuff, but certainly not authentic then), only if you are lucky the Malaysian or China national whom they hired is paid high enough to feel motivated and think he has "ok prospects" so that they actually do cook. Take Vivo's Kopitiam @ B1 for eg. Chicken rice store, totally gone case though that is the cheapest. (lets not talk about those bao or small stuff which cannot fill you up). $5 for the mini wok dong fen or hor fun, gone case also. Pepper Lunch is universal, i'd say most would find it to be palatable and some even would say its GOOD. $5.90 minimum and you'd definitely add $2 to it for the guys, actually there's one of my lady colleague who adds the big portion as its really unfilling.

    Then its another $1.50-1.80 for soft drinks, or $1.50-$1.70 for Kopi - Teh Si. You can go up to $2-$3.20 for a chilled preparared beverage from Ya Kun to Gong Cha. Cheapest is prob Ah Mei's Iced Dark Chocolate, it was $1.80 but it went up to $2 like 2 months ago.

    There are very few good and cheap stuff left, like only 0.1% of the stalls where you can still find $2.50 Nasi Lemak which tastes decent and actually $1.00 or $1.10 soft drink.

    My workplace coffeeshop and raised the Coffee or Tea (not CS or TS) to $1 already, 5 days ago.

    PS. A part-time helper in those stores at Serangoon north's NEX, is paid $600-700 for about 6 hrs of work every day of the month incld Sat/Sun. If the boss is good he may let you off on some Sats/Suns.
    Last edited by 2100; 11th February 2011 at 08:59 AM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Most follow the authorities answer.

    If you look at Australia, Singapore still cheaper. However, you cannot compare with Indonesia and Malaysia as Singapore is different.

  5. #25

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    I went back to KL for CNY and I live in one of the unfashionable suburbs (SG-equivalent of Jurong?).

    One plate of small wanton noodle = MYR4.50 and this stall has not raised prices yet for 'hongbao'. Just a few slices of char siew and some vege.
    One cup of iced tea = MYR1.80.

    Dollar-for-dollar MY food price is worse than SG!

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Hello friend,

    Who told you Jurong is an unfasionable place.....you are totally wrong to use that comparison......Jurong Point is full of live and you can get whatever you need.....

    Rubbished to say equivalent of Jurong in Singapore.........please check and dont anyhow make wrong comparisons.......

    From all those who live and enjoy life in Jurong - Singapore Jurong

  7. #27

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Chan View Post
    Hello friend,

    Who told you Jurong is an unfasionable place.....you are totally wrong to use that comparison......Jurong Point is full of live and you can get whatever you need.....

    Rubbished to say equivalent of Jurong in Singapore.........please check and dont anyhow make wrong comparisons.......

    From all those who live and enjoy life in Jurong - Singapore Jurong
    I live in Jurong.
    And comparatively lacking vs Tampines etc.

  8. #28
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    I live in Jurong.
    And comparatively lacking vs Tampines etc.
    Jurong Point lack of what? always so packed...

  9. #29

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Changi Village has quite a few nasi lemak stores.

    I stay like 10mins away from there. Honestly telling you, for the past years since I was a kid, from the famous store to the no so famous store there, all taste the same

    Dunno why ppl bother queuing up for the "famous one"

  10. #30

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    $3-50 a plate is daylight robbery! I had mine for $2-50 with egg, ikan billes, peanut, 1 complete chicken wing (cut 2 parts) and lot of nice rice for $2-50.
    mine had cucumber slices too. also for $2.50
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  11. #31

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    My school canteen is the best! A plate of nasi lemak for $1.20.

    Back to topic, my friend's mother hired an Indonesian maid. Once I came over to her house for lunch, her maid made Nasi Lemak. To my suprise, it was so delicious especially the coconut rice, and the chilli with ikan billis was fantastic that I don't mind paying $10 for a plate.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  12. #32

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    My school canteen is the best! A plate of nasi lemak for $1.20.

    Back to topic, my friend's mother hired an Indonesian maid. Once I came over to her house for lunch, her maid made Nasi Lemak. To my suprise, it was so delicious especially the coconut rice, and the chilli with ikan billis was fantastic that I don't mind paying $10 for a plate.
    I just came back from Indonesia 2 days ago. The small villages...basically the best of the food there, easily beats best of the food here. As delicious/enjoyable as the best of the high-end cuisine found here (I have literally tasted all the hotel fares here, due to weddings... )

  13. #33

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Changi Village has quite a few nasi lemak stores.

    I stay like 10mins away from there. Honestly telling you, for the past years since I was a kid, from the famous store to the no so famous store there, all taste the same

    Dunno why ppl bother queuing up for the "famous one"
    just how dump those ppl are.

    dumbest if they travel there for the ordinary nasi lemak from the west / north / south

  14. #34

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Most follow the authorities answer.

    If you look at Australia, Singapore still cheaper. However, you cannot compare with Indonesia and Malaysia as Singapore is different.
    Yep, you are right.

    Some of the authorities and ministers had master the art of talking through their rear ends instead of thru their mouths.

    You should try the laksa at Nex Shopping mall FOODCOURT at $11. Vote with your feet and eat elsewhere. Hopefully they will lower their prices or close down.


  15. #35

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky78 View Post
    Yep, you are right.

    Some of the authorities and ministers had master the art of talking through their rear ends instead of thru their mouths.

    You should try the laksa at Nex Shopping mall FOODCOURT at $11. Vote with your feet and eat elsewhere. Hopefully they will lower their prices or close down.

    No surprise since the food court was by food republic. If a bowl of laksa cost $11, then I think Marina Bay Sands food court is slightly cheaper, I ordered a plate of roast pork & roast meat rice with a black sauce egg for less than $9.50
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  16. #36

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    If I'm in town, I will choose fastfood over food court. Cheaper and consistent quality. Many times food quality in food court cannot make it. Usually ingredients are for show only, give small portion just to make the impression it's there.

    While development is good, I hate it when the authority upgrades the area or coffeeshop renovation. Rental increase and force all small time hawker out. Nowadays everywhere I go I got similar food cooked and manned by FW. Appetite lost.

    I rather eat cheap and good food in a not so ideal environment than poor food quality in a comfortable environment. I'm so happy everytime I travel to malaysia, eating places may look old and dirty, but food is superb.

  17. #37

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Either minus the food quantity or raise price. If reasonably priced, OK, otherwise it is profiteering. Anyway, if you like to eat fried chicken, try at 3rd floor, city Plaza (near Geylang) where they sell fresh chicken daily, not frozen chicken.

  18. #38
    Member agws1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North East Singapore
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    Bro, it is called Arnolds. Also have a new one in Hougang Green SC.

  19. #39
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: $3.50 for a plate of nasi lemak at changi Pt

    I recommend the nasi lemak at Hougang Point at $1.30 a packet. I like the ikan bilis, egg and small fish.

    It's one of the small stalls just outside the food court, usually sold out by 11am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •