Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentax DA 16-45mm

Default Re: Pentax DA 16-45mm

I vote for the Tamron... though I just sold it.

Mainly... for the 50mm at f2.8, it gives a nice dof for taking pics of my kids.
    It is also a nice lens for events... very sharp stop down for the group pics.
    Very nice dof for portraits of individuals and still life.

I did have some issues with barrel distortions and vignetting at 17mm.

I may get it back... if I cannot save enough for the Pentax 16-50mm f2.8

I second the Tamron 17-50f2.8 though I have to sell due to some Finance issues.
    But the tammy is a good. Except the lens tends to give underexposed shot so u have to use +-EV to compensate but who cares, can still edit the exposure in Photoshop.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Thank you guys, seems like the Tamron has great reviews by fellow Pentaxian, my sister is planning on getting it as well.

But for me i am still undecided as i have some bad itch to try the DA* lens, can i ask the last question, is the DA* worth its price tag of 1.4k, is it the best lens in its category in terms of images produced, i dont see any need in WR as my camera is non-WR.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by wilb87 View Post
    Thank you guys, seems like the Tamron has great reviews by fellow Pentaxian, my sister is planning on getting it as well.

But for me i am still undecided as i have some bad itch to try the DA* lens, can i ask the last question, is the DA* worth its price tag of 1.4k, is it the best lens in its category in terms of images produced, i dont see any need in WR as my camera is non-WR.
    imo, yes. i like it very, very much.

HAHA..DA* lens can be very poisonous..i fell in love with my DA*50-135 and made a mistake trying out the DA*16-50..right now..i am still tryin to convince myself that I do not need a DA*16-50 since i already have the sigma 17-70

Quote Originally Posted by Yamakasi View Post
    HAHA..DA* lens can be very poisonous..i fell in love with my DA*50-135 and made a mistake trying out the DA*16-50..right now..i am still tryin to convince myself that I do not need a DA*16-50 since i already have the sigma 17-70
    Go get the DA*16-50 and sell me your Sigma 17-70...

The DA*16-50 compared to the tamron

- in my opinion, better color and contrast
    - much better build quality
    - silent and decently fast autofocus
    - Focus ring which does not turn while autofocussing
    - Quickshift
    - weathersealing

General cons
    - significant barrel distortion at the wide end. Easily corrected in lightroom, or use the camera distortion correction feature.

I love the images it produces, its miles ahead of the kit lens. A good standard zoom is worth investing in, as it is so useful. $1.4k is seriously pretty steep tho.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post

I love the images it produces, its miles ahead of the kit lens. A good standard zoom is worth investing in, as it is so useful. $1.4k is seriously pretty steep tho.
    it didn't stop u from getting one

I got it at a good price

Quote Originally Posted by xtunbox View Post
    Go get the DA*16-50 and sell me your Sigma 17-70...
    haha..dun worry..if i decide to sell..i will post it at BnS

Pentax lens produce are particular "Pentax" colour uh..the greens are greener..the skin more natural...i know you can do it in post-process..but isnt it better if it came out of the lens just right?

I have the 16-45...very very sharp at 5.6...onli peeve i got is that it extends at 16mm....

saving up for the 16-50 for the extra stop and weather sealing....
    The Few...The PROUD...

If you have the itch, and can save up enough, go for it. 'cos otherwise even after you have the Tamron, you'll be wondering what you're missing, and you'll still have the urge to get the DA*, what's the point? Considering that this lens is probably going to be the lens that stays on your camera say 50-80% of the time (for the average photog it probably will be), it's worth investing in.

Even though I like my DA*50-135 more than my DA*16-50, I still say the DA*16-50 is my best investment since I use it so extensively!

Non-WR body doesn't mean that there's no point getting a WR lens. You'll probably upgrade the body some time in future, and the lens will still be with you.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

The 16-50's a really nice lens. I regretted selling that copy I have to maverickh. That copy was soooooo sharp. I have been asking him to sell it back to me for ages, and he just won't barge.

I am wondering if they will ever update the 16-50 with the DC from 18-135. I hope they do, and I'll be queuing up for it if I have got the budget.

It really depends what the TS usage. If he needs the 2.8, and the convenience of a zoom, Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 16-50 would be the obvious choices. If he doesn't need the 2.8, the kits lens works well. And if he doesn't need the 2.8, and has money to splurge, I would really consider the new 18-135 WR.

Just to add to the mix, and being pentaxians where you get lots of primes (And if he's a prime person), I'll get the 21mm to compliment his 35mm. And later add a 70mm. ;-) A super light setup that you could even use waist pouch as a lens bag.
    Last edited by hjbyeo; 11th February 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    The 16-50's a really nice lens. I regretted selling that copy I have to maverickh. That copy was soooooo sharp. I have been asking him to sell it back to me for ages, and he just won't barge.

I am wondering if they will ever update the 16-50 with the DC from 18-135. I hope they do, and I'll be queuing up for it if I have got the budget.

It really depends what the TS usage. If he needs the 2.8, and the convenience of a zoom, Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 16-50 would be the obvious choices. If he doesn't need the 2.8, the kits lens works well. And if he doesn't need the 2.8, and has money to splurge, I would really consider the new 18-135 WR.
    i thot the distinction is that the DC is supposed to be the "lower end" motor for newer DA lenses while the SDM is for high-end DA* lenses?

i think pentax's view is that there's nothing wrong with the SDM. i tend to agree to a point... i've not encountered any SDM problems to date but they really have their work cut out for them to convince the rest of the people out there who've been spooked by the countless bad experiences from the earlier batches.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post

Just to add to the mix, and being pentaxians where you get lots of primes (And if he's a prime person), I'll get the 21mm to compliment his 35mm. And later add a 70mm. ;-) A super light setup that you could even use waist pouch as a lens bag.
    very poisoning/tempting post with all the prime lens! hopefully can save up for a 70mm. anyway i just bought the 16-45mm, decided against the DA* as i don't need the WR and the f2.8. Hope it will bring me many beautiful images.

thank you guys for your help!
    Visit me on Flickr!

i just bought the 16-45mm, decided against the DA* as i don't need the WR and the f2.8. Hope it will bring me many beautiful images.

thank you guys for your help!
    Can pm me the price ? Even better if you have all the quote from different shop
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    i thot the distinction is that the DC is supposed to be the "lower end" motor for newer DA lenses while the SDM is for high-end DA* lenses?

i think pentax's view is that there's nothing wrong with the SDM. i tend to agree to a point... i've not encountered any SDM problems to date but they really have their work cut out for them to convince the rest of the people out there who've been spooked by the countless bad experiences from the earlier batches.
    Just a preference for the DC after trying out the 18-135. And don't worry too much about the SDM and just keep shooting and fully utilize the lens.

I've had the SDM on my DA*16-50 die on me a couple of weeks after I bought it (Aug'10), took 5 weeks for me to get the lens back from repair. I was really bummed by the whole experience, but the fantastic picture quality of this lens more than makes it up for me.

K-5 with DA* (any DA*) is a wonderful experience - I have shot a number of times in the rain without any worries at all. The lovely build quality of both the camera and the lens makes shooting a wonderful experience.

I can't say much about SDM but its DC is excellent! Much like canon's USM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12