Thread: How to get lots of traffic and users to a website?

Red face How to get lots of traffic and users to a website?

Hi all,

I am helping a fren promoting her Singapore Home Renovation Forum. http://www.renotalk.com/ ( discussion about interior designers, flats, home furnishing, home appliances and renovations)

is there any ways I can get lots of traffic?

I submitted to the search engines but can't seem to find one.

i emailed my frenz, sms my frenz, put in letterboxes of new flats but seem that not much traffic.

anyone got any better idea? low cost one. not like bus ad, tv ad, newspaper ad hor.

Get 50 friends, make 100 posts everyday. That's more efficient then advertising.

For a forum to survive, you'll need postings, lots of postings.
    Last edited by togu; 24th July 2004 at 10:23 AM.

togu, like tat like spamming liao, esp those ppl post senseless stuff, den make the forum like some trashbin...

i think its normal for forums to be 'quiet', u can't force ppl to enter to just enter, it takes some interest before ppl do participate. like Clubsnap, u have to get ppl who are interested in photo taking to come join in discussion, no use having a fantastic long list of chit chat threads & nobody participate in the actual purpose of the forum.. like yours, talking about renovation, or like clubsnap, talking about cameras, etc...

when u have a loyal group, they will bring more ppl who are keen, and the effect goes on & on... den the members will increase, and you may be in need to change server... take your time...

oh ya... for some suggestions, you can go to other forums to promote your forum... provided permission is granted, you may need to email to the administrator for permission, its kinda basic respect... (oh ya... u just created an awareness here too...)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

As an admin of serveral other websites and forums, it is not easy to make the site popular. Must have something unique and attractive for pple to stay

since your site is abt home renovation, i can't think of ways that can make pple stay becos after the renovation is done, probably they will not bother to go back to the site agian. Unlike camera and hardware, discussing can go on and on until you give up the hobbies.

Anyway, for me I don't like spamming all other forums to get traffic, if you really want to do that, better contact their admin and see if collaboration is possible. For the start, you should get your friends to keep posting there to keep the forum alive, of cos if you can afford to give out freebies or promotion to keep the members come back will be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    togu, like tat like spamming liao, esp those ppl post senseless stuff, den make the forum like some trashbin...

i think its normal for forums to be 'quiet', u can't force ppl to enter to just enter, it takes some interest before ppl do participate. like Clubsnap, u have to get ppl who are interested in photo taking to come join in discussion, no use having a fantastic long list of chit chat threads & nobody participate in the actual purpose of the forum.. like yours, talking about renovation, or like clubsnap, talking about cameras, etc...

when u have a loyal group, they will bring more ppl who are keen, and the effect goes on & on... den the members will increase, and you may be in need to change server... take your time...

oh ya... for some suggestions, you can go to other forums to promote your forum... provided permission is granted, you may need to email to the administrator for permission, its kinda basic respect... (oh ya... u just created an awareness here too...)
    Er... that's not really spamming. Like what wai mentioned, if you want to attract members and keep them, there must be enough postings, topics, questions, answers. Personally, getting friends, or if possible, pay some students to "fake" posting count is the best way for a start. For sure, certain degree of moderation is required, to clear off junk postings.

Else, regardless of how good your forum is, how much you spent on advertising, without post counts, and adequate moderation, the forum will die off slowly, just like those DPC, OS or something.

If a question posted, and it take months before someone answered, even big players like us will....
    Last edited by togu; 24th July 2004 at 11:26 AM.

You can try google adwords.

not very expensive... prob at most cost you less than a month's petrol.
    use the correct keywords, and u'll get people coming in.
    though it's hard to make sure that it's only SGreans that come in.

Ultimately, there must be a reason why people will visit and re-visit a forum again.

computers and hardware change and upgrade... so hwz is very popular (and hated)

camera have new models.. new tech... that's why CS is such a wonderful place

fishies fishies.die & buy new ones.. rear new types.. that's why arofanatics are there

Even i'm also having problem trying to get my own forum alive.. lol..
    with 600 members and a almost dead forum, sometimes it ain't so easy even if u try.

thanks for all your ideas.

we are thinking of giving out flyers at orchard road and vouchers for registered users.

CONTENTS..... that's what you need.

ask xiaxue.blogspot.com to advertise for you

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    CONTENTS..... that's what you need.
    Agree. Or rather the quality of the content.

Zerstorer's Maxim states that:
    "The volume of site traffic is inversely proportional to the quality of content."

Example shown HERE

As a further extension to the handing-out of flyers, target your audience and hand out flyers in Toa Payoh Central near the main HDB offices, rather than Orchard Road or anywhere else.

You can also work on distributing said flyers in the vicinity of HDB area offices of the newer estates like Punggol and such.

I have no idea if the security guards would come shooing you away though.

And make sure you got people in those forums to answer the queries that other members may raise. Have email notification to keep them coming back, and such.

cassandrappg.blogspot.com <--- even better....

While I am certain quality of content is important, we must remember that everything we do, we do for an audience. Who is your target? Renovation industry people? Or potential customers? Look at the ClubSnap website with relations to photography as a business in singapore. The people here have the power to determine what sells and what fails at the shops. So what does your friend's website hope to achieve other than traffic? I think the beauty of ClubSnap is that there are pros and there are amatuers. There are people willing to share and to sell, and there are people happy to learn and to buy. But photography is a pleasurable hobby. Renovations maybe not. But RenoTalk can maybe know what's different from these two websites and focus their efforts there... Just my 2 cents.