Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I shoot this photo better?

Default Re: How can I shoot this photo better?

Hi,When your cam is Focuse, does it have those " ti ti " sound ,say that the cam have focuse on the object. Cos my cousin having this problem, then i say cannot be. so i was looking at the cam setting, under Focusing parts. Try the three focusing setting. Last try to go out with those fre who is much better and share their skill.
    nikon D300sl MB-D10 l AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED l AF 50mm f1.8 l Tok 12-24mm F4 l SB900

Quote Originally Posted by siahweiian View Post
    Hi,When your cam is Focuse, does it have those " ti ti " sound ,say that the cam have focuse on the object. Cos my cousin having this problem, then i say cannot be. so i was looking at the cam setting, under Focusing parts. Try the three focusing setting. Last try to go out with those fre who is much better and share their skill.
    use manual focus. if not, the camera tends to AF in Multi-AF on anything that's nearby or prominent.

and it's FOCUS. not FOCUSE.

the first is pronounced FOH-CUHS. the other's FOCK-YOUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by SmOcKxY
    Perhaps I should have set a faster shutter and increase flash due to less light captured..
    If u increase yr flash output, you can better freeze motion so in that sense you can increase your shutter speed while maintaining a decent exposure. I hope I am making sense to you. How long have you been shooting with your cam? It's good to master your basic ISO, shutter speed and aperture before stepping into flash photography proper.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

matrix metering.

use Aperture as priority mode. f5.8 to f8

AF assist to focus on subject.

check your EV setting, start with zero first.

at the subject closeness, focus length about 50-80 will do.

check your lens is set to Auto and not M. unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
    If u increase yr flash output, you can better freeze motion so in that sense you can increase your shutter speed while maintaining a decent exposure. I hope I am making sense to you. How long have you been shooting with your cam? It's good to master your basic ISO, shutter speed and aperture before stepping into flash photography proper.
    Yes i totally understand wat you just said

I have been shooting with this cam for about 3-4 months and had good results but they are mainly outdoors and holiday trips..just jumped into flash photography becos I had to and I only know the basics but when it comes to pratical usage..as the photo shows i'm nowhere near good enuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SmOcKxY View Post
    Yes i totally understand wat you just said

I have been shooting with this cam for about 3-4 months and had good results but they are mainly outdoors and holiday trips..just jumped into flash photography becos I had to and I only know the basics but when it comes to pratical usage..as the photo shows i'm nowhere near good enuff!
    don't say that you are not good enough, everyone starts somewhere and it's better to start now than never.
    flash is very useful in many situations, not only in low light.
    there is a book on eos flash photography which you can borrow from the library, very useful and informative as it covers canon's ettl system.
    if possible, go for a newer flash like the 580 exII or 430ex which has ettl, makes your life much easier.
    hope it helps.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Quote Originally Posted by SmOcKxY View Post
    I'm sorry but I dun understand your question..by typical I meant that the conditions and scenes I shoot in are basically like this..portraits or group photos with low light..When I'm outdoors I shoot mainly in Av mode but in this when I tried to set the aperture at f5.6/6.5 the shutter speed becomes a little slow and with no tripod plus subject movement..it's not ideal..so I chose to control the shutter and let the camera decide on aperture and this is what I get..
    Should I have shot in different modes with different settings?
    You need to understand the difference between flash exposure and normal exposure metering. Both are different topics.
    Something to read: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    Do pay attention to the different approaches for Canon when using P and Av/Tv/M mode.
    EOS

Hi I am also a newbie, for me I will increase the exposure compensation, lower shutter speed with tripod, and join the rest as part of the object. Any comments on the use of exp compensation?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoo8899 View Post
    Hi I am also a newbie, for me I will increase the exposure compensation, lower shutter speed with tripod, and join the rest as part of the object. Any comments on the use of exp compensation?!
    It will invite blur pictures when people can't sit still. If you use ETTL with your flash then you can deliberately underexpose the image with -1EV to -2EV (thus, getting a faster shutter) and just let the flash do it's job. ETTL will expose properly for the foreground. Or just increase ISO and leave EV untouched.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12