Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to make a good cup of coffee?

Default Re: How to make a good cup of coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Thanks. My office boy said the same.
    I got that tip a few years back from a Starbucks barista. I asked him how come their coffee is different and have that extra zest. He said freshly boiled water is the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    So this civet cat thingy is real. And I thot Allenleonhart is being funny. But isn't civet cat the cause of SARS? I'll pass. There are some things that one no need to try even though it might be a delicacy.
    Oh yes, its real. Never tried before but saw on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Try asking Kato. He might lend you his State-of-the-Art coffee maker. It makes a leaf shape on the top as well
    Drink already become green hornet? lol
    Last edited by afbug; 9th February 2011 at 04:25 AM.

There is a difference in using a pressurised coffee machine and drip / filter coffee machine / coffee sock . The pressure seems to seal the aroma. I have tried using the same beans with a pressurised machine, and the vietnam drip and not surprisingly, the pressurised machine produced coffee with better aroma.

And freshly grinded coffee and pre grinded coffee powder also makes a difference in the aroma.

Best coffee to me using freshly grinded beans in a pressurised coffee machine, with some milk and no sugar.The aroma is the best.

I like Papua New Guinea Blue Mountain. Bought alot back when I was there a couple of years back. Although I also like Ya Kun's Kopi C siew dai, somehow, the balance of the coffee and evapourated milk is

all boil down to your personal taste. as for me, i find the eastern coffee too 'thick' and the western coffee too 'light'
    using a driping machine, i use to mix east and west coffee (somehow the ahkung coffee power and gorial jean hazel nut grind to dripping power is a good combo. 500g each)
    1.5 big spoon for a cup of 250-300ml
    i add sweeterner (no sugar) and conden milk
    as alway taste great and smell really good in the morning for the whole house.

One more thing...

getting the correct grind. The super-fine type is meant for expresso machines. Next up is for drip coffee machines (note that there is a difference for the cone type and the flat base type) Next coarser grind normally is the one for the french press (as you allow the hot water to steep the flavours out slowly over a couple of minutes)

Getting the wrong grind will make your coffee taste differently.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Maybe we should have a coffee tasting outing

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    you got the name and address of the roasteries near newton? I would like to try some myself. Thank you.
    I think the roaster in focus should be papa pahletas at hooper road, across bt timah road from newton hawker center.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Try asking Kato. He might lend you his State-of-the-Art coffee maker. It makes a leaf shape on the top as well
    that sounds like the clover machine. 14000usd piece of art. havent tasted one yet tho.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    Maybe we should have a coffee tasting outing
    Why not

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123