Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

  1. #1

    Default metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    hi what the different between this two metz flash when use on K5? is it worth to get the Met 58 AF 2 TTL for pentax k5? 2nd hand 58 af 1 is about 400. whereby AF 2 is $600(new). Any suggestion?
    Pentax K5, MZ-L, DA 16-50mm, FA 77mm Ltd

  2. #2

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by jeediver View Post
    hi what the different between this two metz flash when use on K5? is it worth to get the Met 58 AF 2 TTL for pentax k5? 2nd hand 58 af 1 is about 400. whereby AF 2 is $600(new). Any suggestion?
    my suggestion is DON'T buy 2nd hand flash unless you know who you are buying from.

  3. #3

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    my suggestion is DON'T buy 2nd hand flash unless you know who you are buying from.
    what's wrong with AF-2?
    Fuji X-E1, Fuji X10, XF 18-55mm f2.8-4
    PK 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f2.5

  4. #4

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by cromdeg View Post
    what's wrong with AF-2?
    nothing's wrong with the AF2.

    i just said don't buy 2nd hand flash from pple you don't know.

    reason being you won't know how long and how extensively the flash has been used. the flash tube might be worn out and the flash might not trigger reliably.

    if its no longer covered by warranty, you would have wasted your money.

  5. #5

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    how about the spec wise in both the AF 1 n 2?
    Pentax K5, MZ-L, DA 16-50mm, FA 77mm Ltd

  6. #6

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    in case u haven't checked it out.

    http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

    http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

    GN is the same for both. the AF2 is just the newer model with better built and some minor tweaks.

    i've not used either... i use the 48 AF1. its good enough for me.

    my main beef with metz is the control... pentax flashes are more straightforward as there's a switch or a dial for everything. metz ones, u have to dig into the menu a bit.

    can be quite slow if u need to switch between TTL and M, or activate HSS quickly. it takes some getting used to.

    but u do get more bang for the buck with the metz than a pentax - higher GN, swivel head.

  7. #7

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Thank you so much for the help, most likely i will get a brand new AF 2.
    Pentax K5, MZ-L, DA 16-50mm, FA 77mm Ltd

  8. #8

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    nothing's wrong with the AF2.

    i just said don't buy 2nd hand flash from pple you don't know.

    reason being you won't know how long and how extensively the flash has been used. the flash tube might be worn out and the flash might not trigger reliably.

    if its no longer covered by warranty, you would have wasted your money.
    I misread your post as don't buy the second one (which is the AF-2), my eyes are failing me today
    Fuji X-E1, Fuji X10, XF 18-55mm f2.8-4
    PK 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f2.5

  9. #9
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    nothing's wrong with the AF2.

    i just said don't buy 2nd hand flash from pple you don't know.

    reason being you won't know how long and how extensively the flash has been used. the flash tube might be worn out and the flash might not trigger reliably.

    if its no longer covered by warranty, you would have wasted your money.
    Sorry Donald but boy, that's a sweeping generalization you just made.
    I've bought no less than two flash guns from people I didn't even know and my experience is definitely not as you describe. I think if it is you who don't feel comfortable about buying used, then please keep it to yourself and no need to prescribe as you have done here. Sure there are risks buying anything used but let people weight the risks themselves.

    Your argument is flawed because even if I know the person who I'm buying from, how can one possibly tell exactly how extensively it has been used or abused? I know you're eager to help others but there are plenty of others who have been buying gear and shooting a lot longer but who have not faced the above.

  10. #10

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Sorry Donald but boy, that's a sweeping generalization you just made.
    I've bought no less than two flash guns from people I didn't even know and my experience is definitely not as you describe. I think if it is you who don't feel comfortable about buying used, then please keep it to yourself and no need to prescribe as you have done here. Sure there are risks buying anything used but let people weight the risks themselves.

    Your argument is flawed because even if I know the person who I'm buying from, how can one possibly tell exactly how extensively it has been used or abused? I know you're eager to help others but there are plenty of others who have been buying gear and shooting a lot longer but who have not faced the above.
    yes, you are correct. i don't feel comfortable, i paid dearly for those moments of folly and i see nothing wrong in sharing this experience with people who (a) may not be so familiar with photographic equipment and (b) are not so familiar with the 2nd hand market.

    there is really nothing flawed with my point of view - knowing the seller is a source of re-assurance. if you know the person and trust that the person is representing the condition of the 2nd hand item accurately, you will be more assured to buy it.

    if, as you say, you've been shooting for a long time and have not faced the situation i described, then good for you. you are very knowledgeable and experienced and you know how to choose, know exactly what to test, how to test, and have not had the misfortune of buying something that fails after a short time.

    but does every member who pops in here asking questions have the same level of knowledge, experience and luck as you?

    and i don't see why i should keep my views to myself if, as you acknowledge, that i am trying to help. Just as you are now sharing your views because you believe that you are clarifying a possible misconception.

    come now Denis, isn't the forum big enough for diverse views?

  11. #11
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Yes the forum is a place for open discussion and nobody is stopping you from posting.
    So you had a bad experience but c'mon do you even need to spell out in caps telling people DON'T buy a second hand flash? Your experience or my experience in buying a used flash is not necessarily representative.

    Let me say that knowing the seller may give some peace of mind, but in reality is little or no assurance because equipment can conk out irrespective if it still under warranty or not or whether it looks brand new or not. If you need to know I bought two of my used flash units off eBay, and I bought one locally from a guy I had never met before. All worked fine so maybe I'm more lucky than knowledgeable. Your sweeping statement also doesn't help if anyone is putting a flash unit for sale does it?

  12. #12

    Default Re: metz 58 AF 1 or 2?(Pentax mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Yes the forum is a place for open discussion and nobody is stopping you from posting.
    So you had a bad experience but c'mon do you even need to spell out in caps telling people DON'T buy a second hand flash? Your experience or my experience in buying a used flash is not necessarily representative.

    Let me say that knowing the seller may give some peace of mind, but in reality is little or no assurance because equipment can conk out irrespective if it still under warranty or not or whether it looks brand new or not. If you need to know I bought two of my used flash units off eBay, and I bought one locally from a guy I had never met before. All worked fine so maybe I'm more lucky than knowledgeable. Your sweeping statement also doesn't help if anyone is putting a flash unit for sale does it?
    No point to OT further. I think we should just agree to disagree.

    My point is simple: i won't buy a 2nd hand flash without assurance to its condition.

    Ymmv.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •