Thread: Drybox?

Default Drybox?

Hi All,

I burned a hole in my pocket yesterday by purchasing a Canon 550D, 18-135MM lens and a lens filter.

So i am wondering how long can i delay before i must really get a drybox to protect my camera?

Any advise?

Default Re: Drybox?

Quote Originally Posted by WBMonster View Post
    Hi All,

I burned a hole in my pocket yesterday by purchasing a Canon 550D, 18-135MM lens and a lens filter.

So i am wondering how long can i delay before i must really get a drybox to protect my camera?

Any advise?
    A dry box cost around $22-$25 and a bottle of silica gel cost around $4-5, not much considering how much you just spent on your gear, why not get it as soon as possible? Of course the better option would be to get a dry cabinet.

Oh.. i tot these dry boxes are like for diving which cost like few hundred bucks..

okie noted.. Thanks for advise.

Quote Originally Posted by WBMonster View Post
    Oh.. i tot these dry boxes are like for diving which cost like few hundred bucks..

okie noted.. Thanks for advise.
    dry boxes around 20 dollars. Don't need diving ones.
    dry cabinets costs 100-300+.

Generally dry box is good enough, considering you probably won't be getting more stuffs. save the money for a tripod and other more impt stuffs in future.
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Quote Originally Posted by zenix84 View Post
    dry boxes around 20 dollars. Don't need diving ones.
    dry cabinets costs 100-300+.

Generally dry box is good enough, considering you probably won't be getting more stuffs. save the money for a tripod and other more impt stuffs in future.
    on the contrary, I would recommend just going for the dry cabinet as it saves the hassle of regularly having to check the humidity and the condition of the silica gel.
    I used a dry box for over a year, and now when I look back, I wish I had just got the dry cabinet much earlier.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    on the contrary, I would recommend just going for the dry cabinet as it saves the hassle of regularly having to check the humidity and the condition of the silica gel.
    I used a dry box for over a year, and now when I look back, I wish I had just got the dry cabinet much earlier.
    I second that. Normally, my recommendation to newcomers to the hobby is that dry cabinet should be the next high priority purchase after they get their dSLR (even if it is just body and kit lens)

if you love this hobby, chances are you will be getting a dry cabinet in the near future. so why spend the extra money on the dry box.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Thanks for all your advises.. really appreciate it..

Hi WBM,

Bought my 550D (same config as yours) 2 days ago too, plus a dry box. Now it's just sitting inside 'drying' itself... LoL