Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

  1. #1
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Any advice? I did not delete any pictures nor even touch them on the ipad and the PC when transfering music, after i disconnected them, when i went into the photos folder in Ipad, pictures were missing, while some are still there, what is the problem? Happend more than once. Any advice will be appreciated to counter this problem

    tia
    kn

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC


    iTunes sync may delete some of the photos if your device is running out of space

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    How does it decide what photos to delete? FIFO? Least viewed?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    Any advice? I did not delete any pictures nor even touch them on the ipad and the PC when transfering music, after i disconnected them, when i went into the photos folder in Ipad, pictures were missing, while some are still there, what is the problem? Happend more than once. Any advice will be appreciated to counter this problem

    tia
    kn
    depends how you configure the sync for your photos.
    For me, I sync with a particular folder on my PC. The photos on the iPad will mirror whatever is in that folder. If I delete the photo from the PC and do a sync, it will also be deleted on the iPad.

    that MAY be the reason for your 'predicament'... can't be sure.
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    i had a problem with my iPod Touch. not sure if it's a similar problem, but after i sync-ed the ipod touch and one of my folders, all the images on my pc in that particular folder were converted to some data file that i couldn't open.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    For me, I sync with a particular folder on my PC. The photos on the iPad will mirror whatever is in that folder. If I delete the photo from the PC and do a sync, it will also be deleted on the iPad.
    That is probably the cause. Once "Sync-ed", it will mirror the contents of the "sync folder".

    To put pictures on the iPad, just put it inside the "sync folder" and Sync.

    To remove, remove it from the sync folder on the PC and "sync".

    From what I'm aware, you can't delete pictures on the iPad via the iPad itself too. The only way is via "Sync" as mentioned above. Unless this behavior is changed in the latest iOS.

  7. #7
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Wow I realized that should be my case, that's quite crappy and inFlexible. I get an iPad to put pictures independently so I can show clients and delete as and when i want, so now i have to face the Fact that i have to keep unnecHessary files(which is supposed to be in I pad only) in my computer! I was wishing That this can be like the music folder in the i pad where I do not even have the music in the computer library.
    Any other way to keep the photos in it without a photo sync folder in the computer?
    Last edited by knpan; 7th February 2011 at 11:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    depends how you configure the sync for your photos.
    For me, I sync with a particular folder on my PC. The photos on the iPad will mirror whatever is in that folder. If I delete the photo from the PC and do a sync, it will also be deleted on the iPad.

    that MAY be the reason for your 'predicament'... can't be sure.
    U are very right, i deleted the folder after transferring the photos thinking that I do nt need the file in com AnymOre thought they are independent once inside iPad. Omg!
    Last edited by knpan; 7th February 2011 at 11:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    U are very right, i deleted the folder after transferring the photos thinking that I do nt need the file in com AnymOre thought they are independent once inside iPad. Omg!
    I believe that it can be stored independently, but how to set it up such that it works that way, I have not got round to figuring it out

    So far it works ok for me since I don't transfer many photos over. I will cross the bridge when I get to it. Looks like you're already at the bridge!
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I believe that it can be stored independently, but how to set it up such that it works that way, I have not got round to figuring it out
    After transferring the pictures, delete from comp and Don't "Sync" lor.

    Really, other then transferring contents to and from the iPad, there is no need to "Sync".

    For music and videos, just "Sync" the appropriate sections, instead of "everything". So that the photos will not be affected.

    So far, I keep a folder in the PC to manage the pictures that is intended for the iPad, and Sync whenever those need to update. Other then that, I don't see the need to Sync the iPad at all. Even after updating the iOS I also never Sync.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    Any other way to keep the photos in it without a photo sync folder in the computer?
    Try using the CCK? That way, no need sync folder in computer.

  12. #12
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    thanks for the kind help, it really helped

    A new problem arises, pls refer to picture


    After I have synced pics, i deleted the folder in the computer and selected another folder 123(See above) to add new pictures, but that irritating pop up appears when i Clicked Apply, and i dont want to remove my applications. Why does it prompt me to delete other apps when I just want to sync pics from "123" to ipad? Damn Apples interface is really making me ...........

    I also realised now I cant delete photos in the Ipad(those that came from the comptuer), since I have delete the Sync folder in the computer, what on earth !! and when i click sync photos from a new folder, it asks me the same thing. argh !
    Last edited by knpan; 8th February 2011 at 05:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    After I have synced pics, i deleted the folder in the computer and selected another folder 123(See above) to add new pictures, but that irritating pop up appears when i Clicked Apply, and i dont want to remove my applications. Why does it prompt me to delete other apps when I just want to sync pics from "123" to ipad? Damn Apples interface is really making me ...........

    I also realised now I cant delete photos in the Ipad(those that came from the comptuer), since I have delete the Sync folder in the computer, what on earth !! and when i click sync photos from a new folder, it asks me the same thing. argh !
    Not too sure about the first part.. maybe you need to go to options and check "prevent iDevices from syncing automatically...."

    Somehow, by default, it will sync everything regardless of which section you're in.

    And, specifically for those Apps that you want to keep, you can also go to the App Tab and put a check beside those Apps. This way, it will not be removed from iPad even if Apps are sync-ed.

    For the 2nd part, as mentioned before, you can't delete pictures from the iPad itself. However, since you have already deleted that folder from the computer, all the associated pictures should be removed from the iPad the next time you sync.

    In other words, regardless of what pictures that was transferred from the PC to iPad, only those that is present in the current sync folder on the computer will remain after a sync.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    thanks for the kind help, it really helped

    A new problem arises, pls refer to picture

    After I have synced pics, i deleted the folder in the computer and selected another folder 123(See above) to add new pictures, but that irritating pop up appears when i Clicked Apply, and i dont want to remove my applications. Why does it prompt me to delete other apps when I just want to sync pics from "123" to ipad? Damn Apples interface is really making me ...........

    I also realised now I cant delete photos in the Ipad(those that came from the comptuer), since I have delete the Sync folder in the computer, what on earth !! and when i click sync photos from a new folder, it asks me the same thing. argh !
    Chill... chill!
    ok here's what (little) I know:
    When you specify to iTunes to "sync photos with ____" and check the box, iTunes will try to mirror the contents of that sync folder with your iPad. Whatever photos are in the iPad but not in the sync folder, iTunes will warn you first and then attempt to delete them.

    For example you first sync the iPad with folder '123' (containing 100 photos), then after sync is over you specify folder '789' (containing 5 photos) to sync. Instead of adding the 5 photos, iTunes will attempt to delete the 100 photos previously copied, then copy over the 5 photos from '789' folder.

    As for the apps, it's probably because you purchased and installed apps directly from App Store using your iPad. What you need to do is 'Transfer your purchases' (or words to that effect) from your iPad to your PC. After you connect your device and it shows up on iTunes, you should be able to right-click on it, and one of the options should be 'transfer purchases...'

    hope that helps...!
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Ipad Problem - Pictures missing after Sync with PC

    thanks for the advices mates !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •