Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's my Char Siew???

Default Re: Where's my Char Siew???

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i think that in the future, we'll need to bring our own char-siew down to these stalls and ask them to add it in
    With the soaring prices of livestock soon you'll be having in vitro cultured/synthetic char siu in your fried lice.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 7th February 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    With the soaring prices of livestock soon you'll be having in vitro cultured/synthetic char siu in your fried lice.
    then the next step would be to be able to grow char-siew off our arms so we can snack on it whenever we want

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    then the next step would be to be able to grow char-siew off our arms so we can snack on it whenever we want
    That's bordering on cannibalism, sort of.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

hmm true. unless we can grow bacon on trees

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

hmm true. unless we can grow bacon on trees
    Mmm... Meat~~~

With the benefit of hindsight we should have preserved Santosa Island for pig farms, cattle ranches, fish ponds etc.

With the dwindling supply of meat in the world Singapore will become a nation of vegetarians within 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    With the benefit of hindsight we should have preserved Santosa Island for pig farms, cattle ranches, fish ponds etc.

With the dwindling supply of meat in the world Singapore will become a nation of vegetarians within 30 years.
    then we won't have Universal Studios Singapore. We'll have Universal Farms Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker

Doctors say Don't eat too much salted fish... it is cancerous!
    Aiyah, nowadays everything carcinogenic, everything must organic and hygienic, very pathetic leh...

Try the Zi-char stalls around 58 market along new upper changi rd, Bedok South area.

I guess the 2 stalls along the main road is offering real char siews. Not sure about the other 3 zi-char further in.. but once you're there, can recce around..

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Peeps, if you do happened to discover local Zhi Chars still using real "char siews" please report here leh... They will be our last bastion to the original taste liao... Also, kopitiam/hawker Zhi Char hor... air-conditioned high class restaurants dun count!

Mean while, I'll try to source around near my neighbourhood to see if there's any real "hope" left...
    Last edited by Limsgp; 7th February 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Try the Zi-char stalls around 58 market along new upper changi rd, Bedok South area.

I guess the 2 stalls along the main road is offering real char siews. Not sure about the other 3 zi-char further in.. but once you're there, can recce around..
    Thanks for the update lad, seems there's still hope around for the popular dish.

Good to know, will drop by if I pass those locations one day!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

The proverbial: "you are what you eat"...

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Aiyah, nowadays everything carcinogenic, everything must organic and hygienic, very pathetic leh...
    Well... if you know you have cyanide in your apple juice would you drink it?

I find salted fish a bit "extreme" for the tastes buds. Not that I don't eat it, just that I don't crave for it everyday. It's a different story for Bak Kuah however, you can crave silly for it 365 days of your life, but you know will be dead by the 365th day if you take it in daily in earnest amounts...

Moderacy is the key word, lad! And no, I don't take fried rice every single day of my life...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 8th February 2011 at 10:16 AM.

In the long run, those hawkers who commit their hearts to cooking tasty dishes with natural and fresh ingredients will prevail and become more popular.

I found that a lot of hawkers here are just to make a living and earn quick money. Only when they know how to put their hearts into the cooking, money will naturally come to them.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    In the long run, those hawkers who commit their hearts to cooking tasty dishes with natural and fresh ingredients will prevail and become more popular.

I found that a lot of hawkers here are just to make a living and earn quick money. Only when they know how to put their hearts into the cooking, money will naturally come to them.
    And when they DO become popular, some will start to have that schmuck attitude, especially with long queues forming in front of their stalls...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    And when they DO become popular, some will start to have that schmuck attitude, especially with long queues forming in front of their stalls...
    That is the problem. People here are not humble, and this leads to their downfall eventually...
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post

Yes.. and the community can do their part by spreading the word on good hawkers.. and avoid those who cook with no heart..

btw, those newspaper articles one cannot be trusted.. they don't really taste good. At the same coffee shop mentioned above, there's one "famous" fried hokkien mee stall with very big poster of a chinese newspaper article featuring their stall. They sell much more expensive at $4 or $5.. but tastes much worse than the $3 hokkien mee at nearby coffeeshop. Many newspaper featured stalls are just BS..

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Yes.. and the community can do their part by spreading the word on good hawkers.. and avoid those who cook with no heart..

btw, those newspaper articles one cannot be trusted.. they don't really taste good. At the same coffee shop mentioned above, there's one "famous" fried hokkien mee stall with very big poster of a chinese newspaper article featuring their stall. They sell much more expensive at $4 or $5.. but tastes much worse than the $3 hokkien mee at nearby coffeeshop. Many newspaper featured stalls are just BS..
    Sometimes they used to be good before the articles come out, after the article is published, the hawkers get lot of customers and become complacent and the standard of their cooking drops.

oh btw, since the topic is on food..

Those keen on mee rebus can try a stall in the 58 market.. 2nd row.. by the name of selera something..

The mee rebus is very nice.. and guess what, their servings start at $1.20

Yes, you can get nice mee rebus at $1.20.. some commented that it's the nicest mee rebus they ever tasted in other forums..

if you're keen, go in the morning.. but prepare to queue....

Sometimes they used to be good before the articles come out, after the article is published, the hawkers get lot of customers and become complacent and the standard of their cooking drops.
    Also due to profiteering maybe..

so.. it's best to avoid those that are "very famous".. better trust those by "word of mouth"..

actually.. when i was younger i used to follow my relatives around to eat. when makan sutra came out, i was ... how crappy eateries can be given a good rating by him..

i don't really trust KF Seetoh's recommendations. watching makan sutra, i can't stop laughing when he praises the dish, worships the dish... then proceeds to give it a low rating after leaving the shop.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast