Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    please advice as i would like to do general photo taking including fireworks

  2. #2

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chercm View Post
    please advice as i would like to do general photo taking including fireworks
    why would it not be sufficent?

    another consideration is the 18-55mm and 70-300mm combination. That way if one lens down, got one more on standby.

    what advice in general about this lens are you looking for?
    Last edited by Reportage; 5th February 2011 at 07:13 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    or a 55 -200mm ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    why wouldnt it?

    another consideration is the 18-55mm and 70-300mm combination. That way if one lens down, got one more on standby.

    what advice in general about this lens are you looking for?
    70-300mm is considered a tele lens or wide angle ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chercm View Post
    70-300mm is considered a tele lens or wide angle ?
    its a telephoto lens.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    its a telephoto lens.
    stupid question : when to use 18-55 and when to use 55-200mm ?

  7. #7

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    there isnt. all up to the photographer.

    there are those who use telephoto for landscape, wide angle for portraiture and so on so on.

    see your style.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    there isnt. all up to the photographer.

    there are those who use telephoto for landscape, wide angle for portraiture and so on so on.

    see your style.
    is 18-55mm kit lens considered a wide angle ?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chercm

    is 18-55mm kit lens considered a wide angle ?
    Yes, but there are more wider lens If you really need them.

  10. #10

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    18 200 is more than sufficient brudda

    its got the wide end, and its got the tele end

    use the 200 end and you will love the bokeh
    Last edited by Kiwira; 5th February 2011 at 10:11 AM.
    facebook | Kiwira

  11. #11

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    The shorter the focal length (smaller number), the wider the lens, vice versa.

  12. #12

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    I find 18-200 is useful for learning. Helps you to discover what range you really need. Then you can consider which are the lens to get if you ever feel the need to upgrade instead of buying blindly.

    After that, it serves the purpose of being a travel lens as well. Keeps the weight down and save the hassle of changing lens.

    Fireworks depend on how far you are from the action and what you want to include within the shot. If you want to take fireworks at, say MBS and to include the skyline at the same time, then 18mm is not wide enough. If just the fireworks alone, 18mm should be decent.

  13. #13
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    Excellent flexibility for travels.

    Ryan

  14. #14
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    It's enough as long as you don't start shooting birds

  15. #15

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    18-55 is sufficient already. 18-200 is of course great. Its a good lens at a reasonable price, with rather decent image quality. Some of the folks around here will tell u how much they love this lens. Plus, what is good is this lens gives u the wide and long flexibility, so it is especially useful when you travel and u can basically just bring one lens and conquer.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

  16. #16

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    it is. go and shoot and play around.
    learn to use the lens to the fullest, you will know when you need an upgrade after that.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

  17. #17

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Stick to your kit lens for a while and learn how to use the DSLR first. If you don't get the fundementals right, no matter what lens u have, the pictures will not be good. Then you might as well get a point and shoot and save yourself all the weight and hassle.
    A580| A300|18-55|55-200|18-250|50F1.8|30F2.8 Macro|35 F1.8|

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Moving Chair View Post
    18-55 is sufficient already. 18-200 is of course great. Its a good lens at a reasonable price, with rather decent image quality. Some of the folks around here will tell u how much they love this lens. Plus, what is good is this lens gives u the wide and long flexibility, so it is especially useful when you travel and u can basically just bring one lens and conquer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
    it is. go and shoot and play around.
    learn to use the lens to the fullest, you will know when you need an upgrade after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by chanalb View Post
    Stick to your kit lens for a while and learn how to use the DSLR first. If you don't get the fundementals right, no matter what lens u have, the pictures will not be good. Then you might as well get a point and shoot and save yourself all the weight and hassle.

    thanks for all the advices and i will learn with the default lens

  19. #19

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    most of the time, the limit is not the gear, but the creativity..
    for that kind of range, it is more than sufficient..
    use it, then you will know yourself whether it is sufficient..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  20. #20

    Default Re: is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

    Lots of good advice regarding sticking to the kit lens and learning it. Get used to what 18mm gives you, what 55mm gives you, and everything in between. Only then will you really have a clear idea of what you prefer, what's lacking and what to get next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •