Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

  1. #21
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    NOBODY can be on a constant 'High' .... the cycles and growth will come in cycles .... these ups and downs are normal

    And do not confuse losing inspiration/passion with losing interest

    stay encouraged
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  2. #22

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    maybe u r too tired....

  3. #23

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Here is what I think...

    I have been working as a professional photographer for the past 6 years... it is true that one don't feel overly creative all the time. As a professional photographer, one is always have to search one's soul as in why you are doing the photography for.

    When I first started, I jump on any assignment that I could find for the first 3 months, and that is a wrong way....

    I find what works for me is constantly find within yourself, what you are passionate about. I am passionate with people. I am happy when talking to someone on the street as I know him for a while. That is why, I will do anything to do with people and combining photography, this is perfect for me.

    Sometimes, it is better to pace yourself... don't offer do things.

    However, sometimes when you hit that "plateau" as you feel that your shots are "rubbish", you are demanding more from yourself to get better on what you are doing without you realizing it...

    You don't have to do it, if you don't want to... this is one reason why some photographers got burn out and become dis-hearted is they haven't learn how to say "No".

    Don't take an assignment if you don't feel like it. Don't over-worked yourself as photography is meant for a journey without destination so you will have to pace yourself and do what you really enjoy doing.

    I hope the above helps and you find your Zest soon.

    All the best.

    Regards,

    Hart

  4. #24

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Find the most beautiful place and take a holiday.

  5. #25
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew
    Find the most beautiful place and take a holiday.
    Love this idea

  6. #26
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Go surf some porn photos and comment about their composure or lighting

    Think how you can further improve it if you are the photographer

  7. #27

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Love this idea
    I constantly need inspiration as life do become mundane with the daily routine. So going to the most beautiful places on earth is a welcome change. My trips also often give me justification to buy more gear .

  8. #28

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    go uninvited to any wedding dinners and start taking photographs...

    leave before dessert dish

  9. #29

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    look at award winning photos....
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  10. #30
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post

    the first 6 months of my time with my 500D, i bring it for shoots at least once every week. during each trip, i will spent at least 3hours shooting religiously, with my eyes scanning continuously for interest subjects to pop up.

    As time goes by, i got really into it and went shooting for my school events and even a few small company event for my friend.
    It is not about the time you spend on it, it is not about how enthuastic you are about it.

    Spending 2 days not sleeping and waving your camera around and bouncing when you take a shot doesn't represent passion, does it?

    It's how you feel inside when you get to do it that matters.

    In any case, if you really feel bored, and have a lack of inspiration, my suggestion is to take a break from the whole thing together. Forcing yourself to keep to some weird target number of hours per week or to generate some interest when it is apparently non-existant will not help to do anything other than kill interest further, frankly.

    If you still have something for photography, you will miss it. You will go shooting and then hey presto, you will feel happy.

    If you don't, then that's just how it is. Give it another 6 months and perhaps you can start selling your gear if you desire to do so. If you end up pining for it 2 months later, though, then my suggestion is to sit down and reflect on yourself and why you seem to be flitting all over the place when it comes to your likes/dislikes/passions.

  11. #31
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It is not about the time you spend on it, it is not about how enthuastic you are about it.

    Spending 2 days not sleeping and waving your camera around and bouncing when you take a shot doesn't represent passion, does it?

    It's how you feel inside when you get to do it that matters.

    In any case, if you really feel bored, and have a lack of inspiration, my suggestion is to take a break from the whole thing together. Forcing yourself to keep to some weird target number of hours per week or to generate some interest when it is apparently non-existant will not help to do anything other than kill interest further, frankly.

    If you still have something for photography, you will miss it. You will go shooting and then hey presto, you will feel happy.

    If you don't, then that's just how it is. Give it another 6 months and perhaps you can start selling your gear if you desire to do so. If you end up pining for it 2 months later, though, then my suggestion is to sit down and reflect on yourself and why you seem to be flitting all over the place when it comes to your likes/dislikes/passions.
    Then why are you in APAD last time

    Kept it running on and off. It's more like itchy finger where you will come back to it after "quiting".

  12. #32
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Then why are you in APAD last time

    Kept it running on and off. It's more like itchy finger where you will come back to it after "quiting".
    Well, think you might have missed my point - since you brought up APAD, perhaps I can piggyback on it.

    If a person posts 365 photos that he took as snapshots/afterthoughts on the go, just to meet a target of posting a photograph a day... What ends does it achieve?

  13. #33
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Well, think you might have missed my point - since you brought up APAD, perhaps I can piggyback on it.

    If a person posts 365 photos that he took as snapshots/afterthoughts on the go, just to meet a target of posting a photograph a day... What ends does it achieve?
    Now I think about it, maybe when you all feel tired can consider selling me your equipment cheap.
    Anyway the on and off thing is about me. Guess my english need alot of improvement.

    The idea of shooting varies on different people and mine is a pure hobby that doesn't really aims at a target achievement.

  14. #34
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: What do you do if you lost inspiration?

    hey it's a hobby, if u lost passion on it, just let it go for a while and see if u missed em, if not then sell ur gear off and move on, it's like love relation there's no explanation on why u suddenly feel off about it but at least this one u can sold the things u invest not like what u "invest" in the name of love lol
    Last edited by willdoang; 15th February 2011 at 04:39 PM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •