Thread: Flash Triggers

Default Flash Triggers

Dear all,

Am trying to trigger my flash wirelessly but am troubled by the vast array of choices.
    Not knowing some well some of the functions also makes it difficult to make an informed decision.

Criterion:
    Price: $100.00 +/-
    Gear: as below + 580EXII
    Remarks: Understand that some triggers may not be able to TTL. If possible, the trigger should be TTL possible.

PS: Is TTL a necessary functions? I have read that if solely in a studio setting, TTL or not does not really matter. Is that really true?

Finally, i have read through some of the search threads but none have actually gone into depth of the choice of trigger and functions necessary. (perhaps i have not search thoroughly or i missed some.)

Thank you all in advance for the advices.
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

You mean in a strobist way, not studio right? There's no ettl in a studio. Most people would not use ettl on off camera flash. However, there are some triggers like PW or pixel knight that does support. ettl on off cam flash is useful for events on the move, where you do not have a lot of time to play around, more of one shot one kill kind.
    Last edited by Alpina; 5th February 2011 at 04:21 AM.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Default Re: Flash Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Dear all,

Am trying to trigger my flash wirelessly but am troubled by the vast array of choices.
    Not knowing some well some of the functions also makes it difficult to make an informed decision.

Criterion:
    Price: $100.00 +/-
    Gear: as below + 580EXII
    Remarks: Understand that some triggers may not be able to TTL. If possible, the trigger should be TTL possible.

PS: Is TTL a necessary functions? I have read that if solely in a studio setting, TTL or not does not really matter. Is that really true?

Finally, i have read through some of the search threads but none have actually gone into depth of the choice of trigger and functions necessary. (perhaps i have not search thoroughly or i missed some.)

Thank you all in advance for the advices.
    can try phottix wireless trigger. will meet your budget of $100+. without the TTL, you can still wired between receiver and flash to work.

comes with a hotshoe below for connection. 4 channels and can connect up to 4 receivers.

All the various china triggers you can find in Mass Sales will suffice.
    No ETTL of course.
    If you want absolute convenience of ETTL, then you'd have to spend the $$$ for it and buy a Canon wireless system.
    The thing with any TTL system is that you are leaving the choice of flash power to the camera/flash. This is ok if you just want to work fast and have fill flash but you loose absolute control.
    For strobing, I suggest you do a read up on the topic (ie. strobing) and decide if this is what you want, or you just need 'hands free' auto systems like ETTL.

Oh yeah. Cheapest ETTL off camera will be flash sync cord

@ Alpina: haha budget setup hoping to do get the best of both worlds. seems like ETTL is well worth it. . . . hmm...

@ mitsucolt: Thanks for your recommendation!

@ pinholecam: flash sync cord is not possible as i am firing remotely. (i need to be in the picture. . . ) hmm... ETTL flashes can have Manual and ETTL modes right? Am i right to say there are no TTL options for third party triggers then?
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Blog Entries

there are 3rd party with ETTL functions. check out the phottix triggers being sold in mass sale.

or else... just order the pocket wizard FlexTT5...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

if you think ettl is important, you need to up your budget bro.

Phottix Strato 2.4Ghz 4-in-1 Wireless trigger C8 (Thanks nightwolf75)

Anyone has anything good to say about the above?
    By far it seems to be a general purpose trigger.

@Alpina: haha in a dilemma. . . want the best but poor wallet does not seem to agree after ang pao distribution.

hi bro, do away with ettl.
    trust me, it's good to have only.