Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I buy/upgrade

Default Re: What should I buy/upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I don't see how no. 3 helps. Most modern lenses are horrible at manual focus as their focus rings rotate too little. A slight shift can result in a drastic shift in focus, and you really don't want to be playing around with it all the time.

Also, I prefer to trust the camera's metering. Your method works for people who never trust their equipment and want to go full manual. Full manual mode is not for everyone; it's not easy and I'd rather trust my camera, look at my LCD once in a while to check if my camera has got it right, but I won't go full manual. Usually the camera won't be off by too much, but if you screw up in manual exposure, you can end up screwing up your good shots and miss a lot of shots because you had to change your exposure settings.
    it is just for fun, just to make things interesting..
    i don't see any harm in doing all these if my intention is to make things more interesting once in a while.. sometimes we don't have to take things seriously and start playing a little..

full manual mode is not for everyone, i agree, but like soccer, not everyone can be a top soccer player, but everyone can PLAY soccer if they want..

what i wanted to share is ways to make photography more interesting once in a while, by doing something you have not done before..

but i guess it is wrong, because everyone has to follow the rule and not experimenting, let alone play with their own camera..

i'm out..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Give a learner too many variables to juggle, he might just get overwhelmed and give up. The experienced amongst us can run through every single variable before each shot: ISO, WB, aperture, shutter, EV+-, AF point, AF mode, flash power, filters, RAW-vs-JPEG, bracketing, color mode, ... Someone who's still learning the ropes might benefit more from beginning with basics and keeping it fun.

sell to me ur dslr en find another hobby. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    it is just for fun, just to make things interesting..
    i don't see any harm in doing all these if my intention is to make things more interesting once in a while.. sometimes we don't have to take things seriously and start playing a little..

full manual mode is not for everyone, i agree, but like soccer, not everyone can be a top soccer player, but everyone can PLAY soccer if they want..

what i wanted to share is ways to make photography more interesting once in a while, by doing something you have not done before..

but i guess it is wrong, because everyone has to follow the rule and not experimenting, let alone play with their own camera..

i'm out..
    I agree that it can be fun, but for someone who is still struggling with basics, I don't think full manual would be very fun, it can even be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonowk View Post
    Hi I got a canon 1000d, kit lens and 50mm 1.8. Macro and fish eye tele converter lens. Now I kinda bored with the camera. What should I do? Should I buy speedlight to try or new lens or rent lens? Hope bros can give some advice.
    Here are some things that you might be of interest,

a) get a timer remote and do some time lapse or long exposure night photography
    b) get a flash and accessories and become a strobist
    c) get a square tianya filter kit and experiment with GND or stacking of ND filters for daylight shots

Hope that helps.

Go to flickr, find a few pictures you like & try to replicate the ideas in them with your kit lens. Besides flickr, can use brochures, magazines, etc.

If photo is taken in Singapore, try going to the same location and see if you can do as well as the original photographer, if not better.

if u have lost interest in photography so fast...most likely u haven't start liking it before buying your camera. worst you may not even like it in the future

Good advice by DP...seasonal or cyclical hobbies are good if you get bored easily. Cycling, fishing, photography, guitar, gems appreciation are my hobbies. Photography maybe the least of my interests, too mundane. Can only find joy in taking pics of my children and tours.

Thanks peeps! Hope to learn more things from u all!(: been start taking photos!(: play recently my friend ask me to help him to take some pictures for his uncle restaurant. And I kind of interested in using speedlight. So is there any recommendation for my Dslr? Or I shouldnt get it at ?(: thanks friends

i've seen this case often MOSTLY people who jump to DSLR from nothing, but rarely who upgrade from PnS

if u're bored then maybe it's not ur thing, DSLR is not a magic box that can produce magical image, my suggestion is to sell the DSLR and get a PnS to capture moments
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Thanks peeps! Hope to learn more things from u all!(: been start taking photos!(: play recently my friend ask me to help him to take some pictures for his uncle restaurant. And I kind of interested in using speedlight. So is there any recommendation for my Dslr? Or I shouldnt get it at ?(: thanks friends
    if you think that you will make good use of the speedlight, why not?

But I hope you don't have the expectation of mounting it to your camera, turning it on, and getting wonderful shots straight away...
    Flash photography is no easy feat.
    Exploring! :)

Okay thanks bro ! So Which speedlight do u recommend?(:

Okay thanks bro ! So Which speedlight do u recommend?(:
    Canon 580 EX II, you won't be upgrading that for some time. If you get the 430EX, eventually you will find that it limits you in some way, and will buy the 580 EX II. Save up and get the best for flashes and lenses - you'll end up buying the best stuff in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam

Canon 580 EX II, you won't be upgrading that for some time. If you get the 430EX, eventually you will find that it limits you in some way, and will buy the 580 EX II. Save up and get the best for flashes and lenses - you'll end up buying the best stuff in the end anyway.
    Good recommendations but if budget is an issue, can consider nissin Di866 or Di622mark2 also

make an appointment to go shooting with someone, visit a place where you have not been, this may fuel your desire again to new heights, not necessary to acquire more photograghic equipments at this moment, unless you just struck Toto yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You have to be excited by the act of capturing moments in pictures. No new camera body will keep you excited always. If you are bored, it is probably not of the camera, but of photography. So you might want to re-consider photography as a hobby.
    I strongly agree on this.
    Canon 550D /18-135/50 1.8/75-300 USM III/10-22/70-200 f2.8L IS II/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12