Thread: Film Stuck in nikon FM3a

Default Film Stuck in nikon FM3a

Hi bros,

my first few attempts using film here, and apparaently i got myself into deep @&#%...

im using a nikon FM3a as im exploring film photography, and everyone tells me its quite mean thing to have these days. so the problem started when the noobie me finished a roll of film. i forgot the the film rewind button at the bottom of the camera and started to wind it back with the winch and sure enough im sure either i didnt rewind it at all, or i tore the film strip into two.

i havent opened the camera cabinet yet cause' if it were the latter, my film would bust. if i were to bring it to a lab to get the shopkeepers to help me extract the film even though its not rolled up nicely, do u think they'll be able to salvage them?
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography

Default Re: Film Stuck in nikon FM3a

go in a room that is dark, open your camera and troubleshoot the film. In this way, the film will have minimum exposure to any light.

1. Take note of the number of pictures you have taken before the jam

2. Put you camera under a thick blanket (ideally at night) as light proof as possible

3. Open the camera back and remove film while pressing the rewind button

4. Slow rewind the film back into the film cassette

5. Make sure you don't rewind the end into the cassette

6. Reload the film into camera

7. Cover lens with lens cap

8. If your film jammed after 10 shots, just press the shutter and cocck shutter 11 or 12 times to make sure you don't double expose your last shot

Note: 3 and 4 must be don't in total darkness
    Last edited by Diavonex; 4th February 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    go in a room that is dark, open your camera and troubleshoot the film. In this way, the film will have minimum exposure to any light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    1. Take note of the number of pictures you have taken before the jam

2. Put you camera under a thick blanket (ideally at night) as light proof as possible

3. Open the camera back and remove film while pressing the rewind button

4. Slow rewind the film back into the film cassette

5. Make sure you don't rewind the end into the cassette

6. Reload the film into camera

7. Cover lens with lens cap

8. If your film jammed after 10 shots, just press the shutter and cocck shutter 11 or 12 times to make sure you don't double expose your last shot

Note: 3 and 4 must be don't in total darkness

thanks for the detailed help! bad news: i did it to the best of my abilities, and realised the film got torn into two with some left at the spool on the right. so..... bring it to the lab?
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography

Quote Originally Posted by naheuy View Post
    thanks for the detailed help! bad news: i did it to the best of my abilities, and realised the film got torn into two with some left at the spool on the right. so..... bring it to the lab?
    You can remove the portion that is exposed (in total darkness) and put it into a light proof container and sent it to the lab. Warn the people that there's a film without cassette inside. There are too many dummies working in the lab now a days.

Suggest you throw away the balance in the cassette.

if you have access to a darkroom changing bag, just unload the camera in the bag, put the thorn film strip into a empty film contain like this,

use masking tape to tape it up, use a permanent marker indicate, unprocessed exposed film strip, open in total darkness only (Film type: XXX, C41/E6 processing)
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I personally would open the camera in daylight, slowly remove all the film and canister, check for damages, reload, and shoot again. Lesson learnt, move forward
    Better than sending your camera to the lab and get it more broken than it is.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

When loading the film:

1. Make sure that the film sprocket holes are engaged with the top and bottom sprockets gear of the camera.

2. Use the rewind crank to take up any slack on the film before closing the back.

hi all, thanks for your advice, i went down to a lab in marine parade, sadly the film WAS torn, and i suspect the person screwed up (as what Diavonex bro had warned) even though i said theres film out of cassette thats stuck, hence "pop" goes my photos. never mind, more photos can be taken in the future, lesson learnt!
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography