Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

  1. #1

    Default Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    Just wondering if an optical viewfinder is still important in a cheap P&S?

    I notice some P&S no longer come with it. Any practical need for them?

    Most amateurs like me no longer uses it much and simply rely on the big LCD screen to aim and snap without having to place our eyes to the viewfinder.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    Quote Originally Posted by u0206397 View Post
    Just wondering if an optical viewfinder is still important in a cheap P&S?

    I notice some P&S no longer come with it. Any practical need for them?

    Most amateurs like me no longer uses it much and simply rely on the big LCD screen to aim and snap without having to place our eyes to the viewfinder.
    It's difficult to use the LCD on a bright sunny day.

  3. #3
    Member fusionz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Milky Way
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    Don't think it's important anymore, it's hard to use the viewfinder in a P&S camera, the fact that the camera being so small and if the manufacturer were to squeeze a VF in, it's barely usable. Better off using the LCD since it's so big.

    Latest models such as EP, GF doesn't come with VF too even thou the lens are interchangeable.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    important if you want to save up battery by not using live view..
    or if the sun is too bright you can't see the LCD..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    having the camera against your face also makes the shooting position slightly more stable, if that helps at all
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Optical viewfinder for P&S important?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    having the camera against your face also makes the shooting position slightly more stable, if that helps at all
    Years back with my PnS I also used the display. But I noticed the battery drain. When I switched to viewfinder to safe battery life I noticed that the images became better. More stable camera and also a better composition. It's no longer just pointing the camera somehow to the object with long arms and squinting at the little display in sunlight. Wouldn't buy any camera without optical VF.
    Last edited by Octarine; 6th February 2011 at 11:49 AM.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine

    Years back with my PnS I also used the display. But I noticed the battery drain. When I switched to viewfinder to safe battery life I noticed that the images became better. More stable camera and also a better composition. It's no longer just pointing the camera somehow to the object with long arms and squinting at the little display in sunlight. Wouldn't buy any camera without optical VF.
    That's the main reason why me and compact cameras (including EVILs) don't get along
    Doesn't feel right somehow
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •