Thread: Adjusting all those dials

Default Adjusting all those dials

Just a question with regards to day to day shooting...normally when you go out and say you're in the company of friends, or maybe just walking down the streets, do you always take using manual? I find it really quite hard to keep turning the dials to adjust aperture iso and shutterspeed and toying around with them as the moment you change direction then the lighting changes, or you walk abit and its a different situation and you got to change settings again. I find that even though I know the rough settings that I want, it still takes too long to adjust and then the moment is gone.

Any tips on how to always be prepared to quickly take that shot to capture the moment?

Thanks

Default Re: Adjusting all those dials

ISO set to AUTO

WB set to AUTO

Just put your camera on Program Mode and shoot
    Last edited by Diavonex; 2nd February 2011 at 07:53 PM.

Set to Aperture priority instead of Manual? That way you only need to mind/note/change one setting instead of two
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingkang View Post
    Just a question with regards to day to day shooting...normally when you go out and say you're in the company of friends, or maybe just walking down the streets, do you always take using manual? I find it really quite hard to keep turning the dials to adjust aperture iso and shutterspeed and toying around with them as the moment you change direction then the lighting changes, or you walk abit and its a different situation and you got to change settings again. I find that even though I know the rough settings that I want, it still takes too long to adjust and then the moment is gone.

Any tips on how to always be prepared to quickly take that shot to capture the moment?

Thanks
    av mode? do a pre metering for a good idea. if u wanna cheat, bracket photo, shoot raw.

most of the time i'll keep checking my camera so i'll just shoot jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    av mode? do a pre metering for a good idea. if u wanna cheat, bracket photo, shoot raw.

most of the time i'll keep checking my camera so i'll just shoot jpeg
    What is av mode? I'm using a nikon, dont see that on my camera..

How does shooting raw make it easier/cheating?

Heh sorry quite noob, but I still havent really studied and grasped the ideas of metering and bracketing...

i shoot in jpeg and av mode. pretty fast to get a shot, wb to autobalance in day, bump up the iso in the night. should do the trick
    Visit me on Flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    ISO set to AUTO

WB set to AUTO

Just put your camera on Program Mode and shoot
    Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    Set to Aperture priority instead of Manual? That way you only need to mind/note/change one setting instead of two
    Thanks...so you guys don't use manual all the time? Watched some videos and they recommended staying to full manual and never touching auto and scenes if i want to improve..

So program mode allows you to chose which settings you want to fix, and aperture setting allows you to chose the aperture and the camera will figure the right iso and shutter for you?

Thanks...so you guys don't use manual all the time? Watched some videos and they recommended staying to full manual and never touching auto and scenes if i want to improve..

So program mode allows you to chose which settings you want to fix, and aperture setting allows you to chose the aperture and the camera will figure the right iso and shutter for you?
    Once you understand the Exposure Triangle i.e. Aperture, Speed and ISO you're already half way there.

I think it's crazy to use manual all the time. I only use Manual in difficult/tricky situation.

Go Manual if you're already really really comfortable using it. Otherwise, use the other 3 modes for an easier time shooting.

Btw, Program mode lets the camera do all the decision-making. Aperture lets u choose aperture while the camera choose correct shutter speed
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

In Program Mode, you can turn the control wheel/control dial to change Aperture and Shutter Speed simultaneously (Program Shift) without touching the Mode Dial.

Oh wait I think i'm getting a bit more confused now...

So with program mode, you can pretty much change everything, but if you don't set it then the camera will do it for you? Is that what happens? Cos I read elsewhere that its just like auto except you can adjust a few more things like flash, iso and what else?

Aperture and shutter modes i just chose the aperture setting and shutting settings that i want and the camera does the rest?

Oh wait I think i'm getting a bit more confused now...

So with program mode, you can pretty much change everything, but if you don't set it then the camera will do it for you? Is that what happens? Cos I read elsewhere that its just like auto except you can adjust a few more things like flash, iso and what else?

Aperture and shutter modes i just chose the aperture setting and shutting settings that i want and the camera does the rest?
    In Program Mode you can change the Aperture and Shutter Speed by just turning the wheel. Otherwise the camera will set it for you.

For ISO you'll have to do it separately; you don't normally keep changing the ISO.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 2nd February 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Set according to shooting still or fast moving subject, aperture for still and shutter speed for fast moving subject and let the camera does the rest.

hmm ok thanks for the pointers...i'll go read up and tinker around some more!