Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re : Hi-Fi System

your listening room is probably the most important component. One thing in favour of Bose is designed to sound sort of the same even in bad listening rooms.

A decent hi-fi system in a good listening room will sound fantastic.

Maybe next SEED should be at Adelphi

Photography & HIFI.. 2 expensive hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    Photography & HIFI.. 2 expensive hobbies
    Together with car and golf.

My colleague had bought a BOSE system.. and he regretted it BIG time..
    True.. It did sound great during the demo in the Sound-proof room.
    However, after he installed the system in his living room, the performance of the system is quite disappointing...

What i am saying is what you hear in the demo room might not be the same when
    you were to hear it at your house...
    IMO: I do feel BOSE system is bit over-priced...

Bose NOT EQUAL Hi-fi. Nuff' said.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblaster77
    My colleague had bought a BOSE system.. and he regretted it BIG time..
    True.. It did sound great during the demo in the Sound-proof room.
    However, after he installed the system in his living room, the performance of the system is quite disappointing...

What i am saying is what you hear in the demo room might not be the same when
    you were to hear it at your house...
    IMO: I do feel BOSE system is bit over-priced...
    Coz the BOSE demo room is designed around the bose system dats why it sounds good.. IMHO you can still build a good better sounding system at a much cheaper price with the correct combination of speakers and amp and cables.. go echoloft forums or you can read up whathifhi mag.. some great speakers to note are from Mission, Monitor Audio, AE, B&W etc

If you just want a hi-fi to listen to, and you don't want to have to sit down at a "sweet spot" in your room to listen to music, then Bose offers a compact and reasonable (though pricey) system for your needs.

If you don't mind researching (hey... that's the fun of it right?) websites and magazines, asking around and shopping for your system, then go for components to set up your hi-fi. You'll need a pair of good speakers, stands, cables, interconnects, amplifier and a CD player. You can get pretty good stuff that'll blow the Bose system away at $1500. I was seriously comtemplating the Bose system, but people gave me the same advice as the other posts in this thread. I finally resisted the lure of Bose, and went for the hard way. The sound is much better than the Bose... and you'll save enough money to buy lots of CDs. The only thing that Bose is better is the bass, because they have a dedicated sub-woofer doing the job. Build up a nice system yourself, and you can also buy a sub-woofer later on if you really want heavy bass (my guess is that you won't need).

By the way, magazines do not review Bose because Bose do not send their units for reviewing. At least that's what I read. And... take the award-winners in certain magazines with a pinch of salt... some politicking may affect the choices. I went to audition the award winning combination, and the sound was so shrill and metallic... it was the best-value combination of NAD and KEF speakers. I settled for something else, not award-winning but very warm and mellow reproduction, and I was much happier. Awards and designs mean nothing if you do not like what you hear. Make sure you ask the shop to connect everything up and listen with your heart only. If you do not like what you hear, what you read means nothing.

Default Re : BOSE Hi-Fi System

To all of you who shared your Hi-Fi experiences here, i would like to say : "Thank You"

I don know that there are so many music lovers here, beside photograhy

if you want a bose style satellite system at lower cost, you can also consider Creative GigaWorks S750 (aka Cambridge Soundworks). If it doesn't work out, you can always use it as PC speakers

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Just one look at the Bose Acoustimass system and you would know that they don't work very well: a powerful subwoofer and tiny satellites. How to get any midrange? It's like people who set their equaliser in a v-shape. Sounds good at first, but after a while your ears get tired. You will be much better off with a good bookshelf-subwoofer combo.

With the same amount of money, quite sure you can get better quality sounding components. One place you can try is KEC at Adelphi and look for either Clarence or Chun. They cater to all budgets.... but just make sure that you stick to your budget otherwise, they can always show you a better system at a higher price and you will be AWED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RSU
    Just one look at the Bose Acoustimass system and you would know that they don't work very well: a powerful subwoofer and tiny satellites. How to get any midrange? It's like people who set their equaliser in a v-shape. Sounds good at first, but after a while your ears get tired. You will be much better off with a good bookshelf-subwoofer combo.
    How true.. but i don't think bose sub will pump out the lowest freq due to the small size of the cone.. go have a listen to 12" subs by Paradigrm, Rel or KEF etc, they'll suck the breath out of you for movie effects at the same time sound tame with just the right amount of bass on music.

Has anyone auditioned the Yamaha Home Theatre in a box systems? They're considerably cheaper than Bose and Yamaha is a leader in DSP/Sound processing technology.

if u guys realise, the Bose showroom is very extensive acoustic treated. and their sat and sub is placed in such a way that it'll sound the best. but for most of us living in HDB flats, we don't have the luxury of space to have such a large acoustic treated room, thus sound quality suffers.

But if u r really into 'real hifi', you would want to ask yourself what is your music preference, and from there you select what you want.

www.echoloft.com is a very good forum to start out with, for knowledge and buy/sell.

if next time u want to branch out for home theatre, simply get another 3-channel amp for your front and 2 rear speakers. this way you will get the best out of 2-channels and 5-channels.

I would suggest you sign up in Echoloft and seel opinions there for hi-fi. Not that I am anti-Clubsnap, but I think you probably get more responses there.

As to hi-fi system, it is very personal. Reading reviews like What's Hi-Fi gives you first impressions and some guide. The trick to buying hi-fi is buying what you like by listening, not hearing. It also means not buying the most expensive or what others like.

Bring the CDs you frequently listen to and like very much, go and test them at the various shops with various setups. At the end of the day, you will either end up confused, which means you should follow the reviewers guide or would have bought something created by yourself.

Just remember, even some very obscure sounding brands in hi-fi produce very good quality sound, even they are not found in magazine reviews. A case in point is ELAC speakers. So don't buy according to magazine reviews, or friends recommendation, create your own set-up.

Good luck.

speakers are just like cameras, they are always a compromise.

Bose speakers have tiny sats so you necessarily do not compare with the larger variety. Some people choose Bose because they are fine with the compromise and require the small sats as they do not want giant speakers in the living room.

For Bose, you are paying for the RnD efforts of a small sat, which is not value for money for someone who doesn't mind a giant speaker, so get a system that suits your needs and budget. There is no need to slam systems which does not fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    speakers are just like cameras, they are always a compromise.

Bose speakers have tiny sats so you necessarily do not compare with the larger variety. Some people choose Bose because they are fine with the compromise and require the small sats as they do not want giant speakers in the living room.

For Bose, you are paying for the RnD efforts of a small sat, which is not value for money for someone who doesn't mind a giant speaker, so get a system that suits your needs and budget. There is no need to slam systems which does not fit your needs.
    I doubt that the previous posters were slamming small sub/sat systems as a whole but just Bose because it was overpriced.

There are much cheaper sub/sat systems from PC speaker manufacturers like Logitech/Cambridge Soundworks (Creative), or from established hi-fi mfgs like Yamaha. What exactly justifies the price premium of a Bose?

one disadvantage i see about tiny satellites is that they may not be able to go loud enough for home theatre purposes. Similarly, the small subs definitely don't have the muscle to deliver clean, deep and loud home theatre bass. But for general music listening should be fine.

p.s. even if you think you want only a hi-fi system, in the end, you'll want home theatre as well. Even if music is immensely satisfying, home theatre is fun fun fun
    Last edited by erwinx; 26th July 2004 at 06:31 PM.

hey... great to see so many Bose's owner here. I used my AM5 + my Creative 4.1 speakers to give me wanderful sound effect on my PC

I also connect my 301 series to my Thomson 25" TV...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12