Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know if radiation (X-ray) will kill fungus in lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    DAMMMNNNEEEDDD!!! I just remembered that my lens HAS metal components in it afterall...in the form of the electronic ribbons, metal contact points etc etc etc...
    Why am I so stooooped! Metal parts should pose no problems to gamma radiation! I should only worry if I intend to nuke my lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Wow, that's too chim for me!! So can microwave plastic Tcons and Wcons or not? (Without burning down the house).
    u can try this
    microwave in 5s batches
    5s, stop. open door, close door
    repeat

try it at ur own risk
    i am not responsible for anything

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Why am I so stooooped! Metal parts should pose no problems to gamma radiation! I should only worry if I intend to nuke my lens!
    Yeah, Gamma should work, it's used on everything from meat (keeps fresh 5 years as long as the seal's not broken, no need refrigiration) to everything, and well, it'll generally pass through anything with minimal effect. How it kills the fungus is by interrupting and affecting their genetic material (or yours if you happens to stand there watching), can't remember my genetics, but the radiation can knock the elements of DNA around resulting in multations or cause them to form abnormal structures which will result in the loss of the ability for genetic expression and cellular division which eventually leads to death.

But well, the problem is, you can zap it till it's all dead, but does it means that the dead fungus will fall off the lens or stay as a sturbborn stain? And if it does, they'll become dust in the lens. And they will be back, unless you have a gamma ray box to store your lens when not in use, so that the fungus never has the chance to grow.

And of course, the gamma radiation must be of sufficient power.

UV may work too, but UV is usually for surface sterilization, they are greatly affected by anything blocking, say water etc... So, you'll have to shine the UV of the right frequency and sufficient power into your lens for hours and hoping that it's not filtered or affected by the lens it's going through in the first place. They way it works in killing is the same, both are radiation based sterilization...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flare
    Yeah, Gamma should work, it's used on everything from meat (keeps fresh 5 years as long as the seal's not broken, no need refrigiration) to everything, and well, it'll generally pass through anything with minimal effect. How it kills the fungus is by interrupting and affecting their genetic material (or yours if you happens to stand there watching), can't remember my genetics, but the radiation can knock the elements of DNA around resulting in multations or cause them to form abnormal structures which will result in the loss of the ability for genetic expression and cellular division which eventually leads to death.

But well, the problem is, you can zap it till it's all dead, but does it means that the dead fungus will fall off the lens or stay as a sturbborn stain? And if it does, they'll become dust in the lens. And they will be back, unless you have a gamma ray box to store your lens when not in use, so that the fungus never has the chance to grow.

And of course, the gamma radiation must be of sufficient power.

UV may work too, but UV is usually for surface sterilization, they are greatly affected by anything blocking, say water etc... So, you'll have to shine the UV of the right frequency and sufficient power into your lens for hours and hoping that it's not filtered or affected by the lens it's going through in the first place. They way it works in killing is the same, both are radiation based sterilization...

Doctor Banner, if things don't go as planned, you would end up with 'Hulked-up' fungus stomping all over your lens!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12