Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know if radiation (X-ray) will kill fungus in lenses?

Default Anyone know if radiation (X-ray) will kill fungus in lenses?

Just curious...I am thinking of ways of killing fungal spores even before they can grow into full blown fungus, especially in lenses.

Anyone with knowledge of this?

i think gamma rays can. they use this to sterile some of hospital equipment.

but to put a gamma ray machine or a x-ray machine at home is illegal, i think.

I don't think there's a mean to go to such extreme measures. Just storing the lenses in humidity controlled dry cabinets when they are not being used is sufficient to prevent and stop fungus growth on them.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    i think gamma rays can. they use this to sterile some of hospital equipment.

but to put a gamma ray machine or a x-ray machine at home is illegal, i think.
    If this works, then I will bring my lenses to airport to scan a few times

Well, I have 1 lens which seems to be more prone to fungal growth for some reason or another. Clean out also fungus grows back quickly. Store in blue silica gel in air-tight container (the silica gel still blue so I know the box is not leaking) does not help very much. May be this particular lens a bit 'suay'.

I think I will get this lens ZAP ZAP a few times.

Another thought: does Gamma radiation affect electronics in anyway?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Well, I have 1 lens which seems to be more prone to fungal growth for some reason or another. Clean out also fungus grows back quickly. Store in blue silica gel in air-tight container (the silica gel still blue so I know the box is not leaking) does not help very much. May be this particular lens a bit 'suay'.

I think I will get this lens ZAP ZAP a few times.

Another thought: does Gamma radiation affect electronics in anyway?
    Youtr lens is not 'suay', the spores which grow into fungus (given the right conditions) must have somhow got into your lens.

I don't think xray has any effect on fungus, UV may be a better option.

While on the subject of fungus, whhat should you do if your camera lens gets stricken by fungus? Any cures?

As eccentric as it may sound, someone suggested putting it in a microwave over a sustained period of time. Yep, he said you can try microwaving your Tcons or Wcons.

I think he does have point because whatever heat generated from the microwave will only come from organic matter, Your lenses and the housing are non-organic. In other words, the fungus will just heat up and self destruct, not your lens.

DON'T ask me to try, not that desperate (maybe courageous) yet. I merely put my lenses out in the sun from time to time.

Any experts care to shed some light on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Youtr lens is not 'suay', the spores which grow into fungus (given the right conditions) must have somhow got into your lens.

I don't think xray has any effect on fungus, UV may be a better option.

While on the subject of fungus, whhat should you do if your camera lens gets stricken by fungus? Any cures?

As eccentric as it may sound, someone suggested putting it in a microwave over a sustained period of time. Yep, he said you can try microwaving your Tcons or Wcons.

I think he does have point because whatever heat generated from the microwave will only come from organic matter, Your lenses and the housing are non-organic. In other words, the fungus will just heat up and self destruct, not your lens.

DON'T ask me to try, not that desperate (maybe courageous) yet. I merely put my lenses out in the sun from time to time.

Any experts care to shed some light on this subject?
    I was wondering, wouldn't microwaves destroy any electronics in the lens? and also if the lens casing is made from metal, it will destroy the microwave...

In the end you'll have to buy a new lens and a new microwave oven...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Converters do NOT have electronics, and some converters are made of plastic, not metal.

May be we should try sun-baked, nuked and gamma-radiated 'pau-ka-leow' approach!

Anyway, I'm going to pass my friend my 'suay' lens and ask him to blast it to hell and back with massive loads of gamma radiation tomorrow.

DAMMMNNNEEEDDD!!! I just remembered that my lens HAS metal components in it afterall...in the form of the electronic ribbons, metal contact points etc etc etc...

Well, microwave..gamma rays, its everywhere. Depending on the power output of the souce, they can cook different things up. In the normal daily life..they are pretty harmless. If you are thinking about that, going thru ERP everyday to the city is cooking you everytime. However, in order to cook something, the microwave has to be of some resonance frequency to the matter with proper power. Thus, microwave oven at home only boils waters...you can't cook a brick..dun think it will feel warm unless its wet. As for the case of matals. It's due to the fact that the microwave found a shorter path (less resistance) for them to travel. With object of sharp edges, the microwave enter the object and when escaping from the sharp edges, it produces arching sparking effect when it tries to escape to the air.

*bow*

hehe...correct me if i am wrong.

Hahaha... do not put your lenses under the sun, hoping that the UV will kill the fungus. One big fool did that and warped his lens after a hot day.

No prizes for guessing who the idiot is...

rexus is right about the frequency part
    microwaves work this way
    when microwaves hit water molecules, or any liquid molecules, the molecules are forced to vibrate at very high frequency. this very high frequency eventually leads to an increase in temperature.
    in the case of lens, those metal, plastic parts by itself, would not be heated up.
    but the lubricant of the lens will be heated up. they might dry up.
    as for sparks from metal, i have not much knowledge in that area

We learn something new everyday....

Try this one too! (Sorry to OT here):
    Take a lightbulb and put it in water so that the water touches only the metal contacts. Put this in the microwave oven and voila! Lightbulb lights up!

I tried it once, worked... then stupidly left a spoon in there and broke my mother's microwave oven... that's why I warn you not to put metal in the microwave oven... I think its because the metal reflects the microwave back at the microwave emitter and fries its own electronics...

As for your lens, maybe there is something organic on the coating that encourages growth of fungus of the lens... bring it to the manufacturer's service center and then let them check it up... best way to do it.. otherwise if you do on your own you might lose any warranty left and worse still: Destroy your lens...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Sorry if I OT . Shouldn't u like take ur lens to Canon service center?Cos i would not want to risk my lenses in trying anything.

It has been serviced once before, but the fungus seems to come back 'faster' than on any other equipment under similar circumstances. *SIGHZZZ*

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys...really appreciate it.

maybe the seals are not properly done.

Well, if you only put metal objects into the microwave oven, the metal will reflect the microwave around, on absorption. The magnetron outputs xx watts of energy, and as you know energy cannot be destroyed, this bouncing waves will cause standing waves, they are very powerful and ultimately will be re-absorped back into the magnetron thus heating it up. There is a fan cooling the magnetron but is obviously insufficient if abused for a long period of time, it will heat up too much and break down.

Sparking will also occur if any metallic part of your object touches the interior of the oven. So don't do it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Well, if you only put metal objects into the microwave oven, the metal will reflect the microwave around, on absorption. The magnetron outputs xx watts of energy, and as you know energy cannot be destroyed, this bouncing waves will cause standing waves, they are very powerful and ultimately will be re-absorped back into the magnetron thus heating it up. There is a fan cooling the magnetron but is obviously insufficient if abused for a long period of time, it will heat up too much and break down.

Sparking will also occur if any metallic part of your object touches the interior of the oven. So don't do it.
    Wow, that's too chim for me!! So can microwave plastic Tcons and Wcons or not? (Without burning down the house).

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Wow, that's too chim for me!! So can microwave plastic Tcons and Wcons or not? (Without burning down the house).
    can lah... plastic is not metal rite??? haha... :bsmile:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast