Thread: Anywhere to get this kind of hood?

Default Anywhere to get this kind of hood?

Did a forum and google search but not successful. I'm wondering where to get a soft hood (if that's the correct term?) so that I can mount and press it against glass surfaces to block out reflections from lights behind me. Would be useful for taking shots for aquarium, aeroplane window, etc.

Default Re: Anywhere to get this kind of hood?

its called a collapsible lens hood and you can get that at mass sales section!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Ah... collapsible hood, that's the term for it? I'm looking for 77mm non-petal type. Rubber might be too rigid. Foam-like perhaps? Basically a wide and shallow enough soft rim (allows up to 10mm focal length without vignetting) to block out any incident light while allowing some room to tilt the lens when lean against the glass surface.

Many shops also have it for the usual diameters (58mm).
    EOS

Blog Entries

or use a lens hood from a large diameter lens eg a 70-200/2.8 zoom .... just use your hand and hold it against the window
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Did a forum and google search but not successful. I'm wondering where to get a soft hood (if that's the correct term?) so that I can mount and press it against glass surfaces to block out reflections from lights behind me. Would be useful for taking shots for aquarium, aeroplane window, etc.
    The collapsible rubber ones will work fine. Tried it before.

If you want really high-quality ones, get the HOYA ones. I'm still using one from ... the early 90s or late 80s, and it's still going strong. Not much more ex.

GONG XI!

Those are rubber hoods. I bought Hoya ones at Peninsula, one of those shops there. I can't remember actually.

Take note that rubber is flexible so usually it means less storage space in bag but rubber attracts dust easily.