Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha Canon gave a big rebate to my school, what the committee said was that they approached Nikon as well but Nikon say they don't sponsor school clubs and societies.
    wow how many % discount from retail pricing
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Which isn't very smart IMO. If you see everyone using Canon everywhere, what would you get when you want a camera? There are a lot of rich students who are impressed by the schools' photogs' pictures and want to buy the same cameras. Camera companies gain a lot from selling entry level models, in fact much more than their pro bodies. When most schools use Canon, most of the rich kids will just go along with the flow and get Canon. Nikon loses out in the end.
    Yea, most of the people in the society is now uber pro canon, guess the marketing works, I'm only one of the minority using non-Canon DSLRs

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    wow how many % discount from retail pricing
    Canon gave quite a few cameras to the club and there is an arrangement with Cathay Photo that bulk purchases can be made from them for Canon products, lenses and DSLRs from 1000D to 5DII, not sure about the saving cos i never bother finding out, using a Nikon
    Last edited by spree86; 2nd February 2011 at 02:22 PM.

Which isn't very smart IMO. If you see everyone using Canon everywhere, what would you get when you want a camera? There are a lot of rich students who are impressed by the schools' photogs' pictures and want to buy the same cameras. Camera companies gain a lot from selling entry level models, in fact much more than their pro bodies. When most schools use Canon, most of the rich kids will just go along with the flow and get Canon. Nikon loses out in the end.
    on the contrary..
    when they see all the underexposed, handshake, oof, they think "muz be cam lousy"..
    guess which other brand they'll look at next?

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Canon gave quite a few cameras to the club and there is an arrangement with Cathay Photo that bulk purchases can be made from them for Canon products, lenses and DSLRs from 1000D to 5DII, not sure about the saving cos i never bother finding out, using a Nikon
    wahaha! Nikon's still a majority player LOL.

a lot of people just buy for the sake of the brand image. and peer pressure.

but don't underestimate these people who buy from peer pressure. some of them improve so fast and unlock their talents and level up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    on the contrary..
    when they see all the underexposed, handshake, oof, they think "muz be cam lousy"..
    guess which other brand they'll look at next?
    Nope normal people are not so tuned to looking out for those, they somehow see big camera and say "woo all the pics so nice" even if they are not. It's something to do with people expecting big cameras to perform better, and then convince themselves that the pictures they look at on the DSLR are better than they actually are. Sometimes my friends around me will remark that my shots are very nice, even though I look at them and know they are clearly underexposed, out of focus etc. They go on to ask about which camera models to buy

It's like that, most people go in with the mindset that DSLRs always produce better photos, and fool themselves into making the DSLR pictures look better in their minds. Normal people won't be able to pick out underexposure, focus problems etc. Marketing has blinded them.

haiz..

anyway i was shoting my school CNY this morning, shooting with 2 sec 2 boys.. each carrying a school 550D and kit lens..

brought my 85mm 1.8 there and shoot, they start to ask me, how come when i shoot at 1.8, the background so blur.. so professional look... then i started to explain D.O.F to them... none of them were interested about the technical details..

then we started shooting... i use AI servo mode, AF-C mode... cos there was a performance... i tried to ask them to use this mode which is easier to focus rather than one shot focus.. then they questioned me back why there's a one shot focus mode... bla bla...

after a while, we compared our shots, since i was using AI Servo, my shots were fine, sharp, and no much of camera shakes.. but they complained that the camera is lousy... no fast enough.. when i saw the blurry pictures..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    haiz..

anyway i was shoting my school CNY this morning, shooting with 2 sec 2 boys.. each carrying a school 550D and kit lens..

brought my 85mm 1.8 there and shoot, they start to ask me, how come when i shoot at 1.8, the background so blur.. so professional look... then i started to explain D.O.F to them... none of them were interested about the technical details..

then we started shooting... i use AI servo mode, AF-C mode... cos there was a performance... i tried to ask them to use this mode which is easier to focus rather than one shot focus.. then they questioned me back why there's a one shot focus mode... bla bla...

after a while, we compared our shots, since i was using AI Servo, my shots were fine, sharp, and no much of camera shakes.. but they complained that the camera is lousy... no fast enough.. when i saw the blurry pictures..
    Had a few experiences similar to that.

Latest one was that a couple of people came up to me and asked if can teach them to use camera for sports since they always see me taking photos at such events as well as asked why i used Pentax rather then Nikon/Canon or even Sony. Unavoidably the "is your camera better" question showed up so i gave them an answer based on my experience.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Nope normal people are not so tuned to looking out for those, they somehow see big camera and say "woo all the pics so nice" even if they are not. It's something to do with people expecting big cameras to perform better, and then convince themselves that the pictures they look at on the DSLR are better than they actually are. Sometimes my friends around me will remark that my shots are very nice, even though I look at them and know they are clearly underexposed, out of focus etc. They go on to ask about which camera models to buy

It's like that, most people go in with the mindset that DSLRs always produce better photos, and fool themselves into making the DSLR pictures look better in their minds. Normal people won't be able to pick out underexposure, focus problems etc. Marketing has blinded them.
    Buy a DSLR, Take Great Photos or something like that i guess. easier to promote then to say that compacts will give similar quality as dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Had a few experiences similar to that.

Latest one was that a couple of people came up to me and asked if can teach them to use camera for sports since they always see me taking photos at such events as well as asked why i used Pentax rather then Nikon/Canon or even Sony. Unavoidably the "is your camera better" question showed up so i gave them an answer based on my experience.
    maybe these group of people will need to learn by experiences.. let them explore photography themselves. rather than letting people spoon feed..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Didnt see the students last night nor any of the regular "performance" shooters. Guessing they were at Chinatown. Good for them...damn it was wet at Marina Bay.
    Last edited by Reportage; 3rd February 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    maybe these group of people will need to learn by experiences.. let them explore photography themselves. rather than letting people spoon feed..
    I taught for a while....in a lot occassions where a question is asked, how many will actually raise hands to answer? So i find it best rather to directly show them what they need to do and let them figure out the why part. A lot actually want to know the how rather then the why most of the time.

Blog Entries

was there a photo exhibition from some nanyang neo clan there?

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    Yes everyone start young or start some where. I am still young and still learning.
    yes last year before i join CS, I was shove away or elbow away because they think i was in their way..
    Yes, I learn through mistake and Mr. Google... , reading and learn alot from the photos CS post.
    Next month, i will be twelve and besides landscape, I will learn taking portraits this year after my PSLE.

Happy Lunar Year year to all.....
    wow..I saw your photos and you mentioned you are 12 years old?.. I was still playing go li and tua beh long @12

I am sure you are going to do well in this

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    was there a photo exhibition from some nanyang neo clan there?
    wouldnt know. here is what i snapped there, see if it contains what you are looking for.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844131

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    and from my experience, photographers learn more and better thru making mistakes, lots of mistakes.
    yah i like to learn from mistakes.

that's why i dun read so much into photography, just have some basic understanding how the basic works (aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc), then i am off to explore, make mistakes, learn, make new mistakes, learn again (trial and error).

cos i dun want to end up knowing lots of theories but cannot apply them.

only comes to software (PP), no choice need to read and understand else very hard to learn from mistakes

Digital photography had made it more accessible for many. Many can buy a dslr for the child, at around the price of an acer laptop. Don't like? Others in the family can use, family outing can use. Still dont like? Sell lor. Seriously, its just like i cant fully utilize a mac but i still use a mac. Why? PP shots, play football manager no lag, colour nice. But all the functions and shortcuts all i dunno. Ppl ask me "u mac user what. No meh". I mac user nt bcos i want those short cuts.

This is consumer thinking. I want "better" shots compact camera seems not good enough. So dslr lor. They see dslr as more capable maybe for several factors. I have a friend who went to the Bund, took some poor shots with compact, and come home hoot a dslr to "avoid such regrets". He had no idea he shot at the wrong time, and he needed long exposure.

We all have different reasons for getting a dslr. There is always a starting point. We always lament some students dunno how to use yet alot use it. But i seen students who take good shots. The starting point perhaps will propel some to future greatness. Many photographers i know started in their teens. Ultinately, to each his own. Happy okay already.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

I might be one of the few ppl who actually wished I had started out much younger in sec sch. I was definitely very envious of those guys in the photography club then (back at that time, they studied film SLRs, dark room film developing etc). 10 odd years later, one of the guys from that very same club is still a happy snapper who posts great digital and film pics on fb. At this stage now, no one would really care that he had started at 14, right??
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Dun look down on young student! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingG View Post
    Dun look down on young student! Lol
    we might have to if they're shorter than us!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast