Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

  1. #1

    Default At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    And i do mean a lot. If its their school one, wah envy the students nowadays just that perhaps they might want to read the manual on how to use. I dont want to get into details with this but for a lot of the shots, the kit lens in such conditions was not a good idea. In such conditions if the kit lens was all i had, rather bring a compact camera.

    Should have seen how it was like when MM arrived.

    On a side note...the primary school "rabbits" were very cute.
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd February 2011 at 01:02 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  2. #2

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    good gears do not necessarily produce good photos.

  3. #3

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    I saw the students too. I think they are from some photographic club in their school. Saw one of them using a 55-200 like a macro lens. Felt like telling her there is a minimum focus distance for her lens.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    They are just starting young
    Nikon D7000 + MB-D11 | Tamron 17-50 VC | SB-700 |

  5. #5

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Just let them enjoy the art first. The desire to learn the technicalities will naturally follow.

  6. #6

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    And i do mean a lot. If its their school one, wah envy the students nowadays just that perhaps they might want to read the manual on how to use. I dont want to get into details with this but for a lot of the shots, the kit lens in such conditions was not a good idea. In such conditions if the kit lens was all i had, rather bring a compact camera.

    Should have seen how it was like when MM arrived.

    On a side note...the primary school "rabbits" were very cute.
    If it's their school equipment, most schools are not rich enough to afford anything more than the kit lens. Though they could probably do with cheap primes like 50/1.8

  7. #7

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    either that or students cannot sign out the more "Pro" lens. I can imagine the shots they took yesterday to be either underexposed because not enough light, blurred because use Av on auto and harsh pics from those that use onboard flash.

    should we post pointers for the sake of the students who might be reading this just that they maybe too paiseh to post or ask their trainer/teacher in charge.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    On a side note...the primary school "rabbits" were very cute.
    Mind to share the cute rabbits pictures ?
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Not sure what is the intention of this thread?
    isn't it another "got good camera but don't know how to use" kind of threads?

    is it owning/using/holding a DLSR but not familiar with is a crime?
    did anyone of them shove you away to get best angle? or elbowing you? Yes? No?

    I'm sure they all are beginners, you and I are all beginner at before, this might be their first field trip, just let them learn from what have,

    and from my experience, photographers learn more and better thru making mistakes, lots of mistakes.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Not sure what is the intention of this thread?
    isn't it another "got good camera but don't know how to use" kind of threads?

    is it owning/using/holding a DLSR but not familiar with is a crime?
    did anyone of them shove you away to get best angle? or elbowing you? Yes? No?

    I'm sure they all are beginners, you and I are all beginner at before, this might be their first field trip, just let them learn from what have,

    and from my experience, photographers learn more and better thru making mistakes, lots of mistakes.
    Actually it was at the Nikon subforum but somehow got bumped here.

    My thinking is that the students who took yesterday pics might actually be wondering what went wrong and so are surfing for answers. Clubsnap does seem to be a logical choice since it involves local events.

    This thread is like to provide direct answers for questions they might be having. If not one is interested, then this thread will simply die on its own.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MGohzxc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Not sure what is the intention of this thread?
    isn't it another "got good camera but don't know how to use" kind of threads?

    is it owning/using/holding a DLSR but not familiar with is a crime?
    did anyone of them shove you away to get best angle? or elbowing you? Yes? No?

    I'm sure they all are beginners, you and I are all beginner at before, this might be their first field trip, just let them learn from what have,

    and from my experience, photographers learn more and better thru making mistakes, lots of mistakes.
    Yes everyone start young or start some where. I am still young and still learning.
    yes last year before i join CS, I was shove away or elbow away because they think i was in their way..
    Yes, I learn through mistake and Mr. Google... , reading and learn alot from the photos CS post.
    Next month, i will be twelve and besides landscape, I will learn taking portraits this year after my PSLE.

    Happy Lunar Year year to all.....

  12. #12

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Maybe NIKON gave big rebates to the school?
    always the Light, .... always.

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Actually it was at the Nikon subforum but somehow got bumped here.

    My thinking is that the students who took yesterday pics might actually be wondering what went wrong and so are surfing for answers. Clubsnap does seem to be a logical choice since it involves local events.

    This thread is like to provide direct answers for questions they might be having. If not one is interested, then this thread will simply die on its own.
    it has noting related to Nikon and I wanted to move it too, but just wait and see first, and another mod think this is 100% KPT material and so it is here now.....

    tho CS is one of the leading local photography forum, but still many photographers have not heard about CS.

    not to worry too much about them, if they are from school photography club, they have teachers or instructors to guild them along.

    some time people will not appreciate to the suggestions given to them when they are not asking for it. they may mistaken your intention. I think we often see these happen in CS here.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    Yes everyone start young or start some where. I am still young and still learning.
    yes last year before i join CS, I was shove away or elbow away because they think i was in their way..
    Yes, I learn through mistake and Mr. Google... , reading and learn alot from the photos CS post.
    Next month, i will be twelve and besides landscape, I will learn taking portraits this year after my PSLE.

    Happy Lunar Year year to all.....


    I'm not young but am still learning, there will be no end of learning.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15

    Default

    Maybe they belong to school photography club?

  16. #16
    Senior Member MGohzxc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post


    I'm not young but am still learning, there will be no end of learning.
    Yes.... forever learning....

  17. #17

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Maybe NIKON gave big rebates to the school?
    Haha Canon gave a big rebate to my school, what the committee said was that they approached Nikon as well but Nikon say they don't sponsor school clubs and societies.

  18. #18

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it has noting related to Nikon and I wanted to move it too, but just wait and see first, and another mod think this is 100% KPT material and so it is here now.....

    tho CS is one of the leading local photography forum, but still many photographers have not heard about CS.

    not to worry too much about them, if they are from school photography club, they have teachers or instructors to guild them along.

    some time people will not appreciate to the suggestions given to them when they are not asking for it. they may mistaken your intention. I think we often see these happen in CS here.
    Going out soon anyway for assignment.

    Wont miss tonight Fireworks display.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha Canon gave a big rebate to my school, what the committee said was that they approached Nikon as well but Nikon say they don't sponsor school clubs and societies.
    That would simply mean the schools with Nikons bought the cameras at retail price.
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd February 2011 at 12:42 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #19

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha Canon gave a big rebate to my school, what the committee said was that they approached Nikon as well but Nikon say they don't sponsor school clubs and societies.
    Which isn't very smart IMO. If you see everyone using Canon everywhere, what would you get when you want a camera? There are a lot of rich students who are impressed by the schools' photogs' pictures and want to buy the same cameras. Camera companies gain a lot from selling entry level models, in fact much more than their pro bodies. When most schools use Canon, most of the rich kids will just go along with the flow and get Canon. Nikon loses out in the end.

  20. #20
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,551

    Default Re: At River Hongbao 2011, a lot of students holding Nikon DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    In such conditions if the kit lens was all i had, rather bring a compact camera.
    not necessarily true, i'm sure even the entry level DSLRs at iso 1600 can do a good job with the basic kit lens. remember that at wide angle, F3.5 is decent, and at 55mm F5.6, if the place/stage is spotlight lit, using the kit lens is not an issue as well.

    letting the young ones start with basic kit lens and dslr is good exposure
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •