Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Fitness Gym

Well, not everyone is 24 hours online to post about anything. I need to also find out about necessary details before posting to avoid getting myself in trouble right?

Here goes:

Before terminating your membership, be sure to take note of the person's name who process the termination request for you. Remember to obtain a black & white copy (which I did, but they did not & silly me, I trusted them) of the termination letter & take note of the termination date.

Remember to terminate any Interbank Giro u have with this cunning gym as they will deduct from your account with BC (Bo Chup) attitude. What I mean by BO CHUP attitude is: When I call them, one of their staff (it's a she), handling this issue says this: "Too bad, there's nothing we can do about it, we won't refund you" They will keep saying that, they can do nothing about it. Of course, the $ is not theirs & they already deducted it. When I request to speak to their manager/supervisor in charge, she told me that I don't need to speak to any higher authority as she can answer on behalf of cunning gym.

Here's the scenario, in order for this cunning gym to cheat me of my money (for 1 month's subscription), during termination of my membership, 1 of their staff told me that my membership would cease in mid of Jun 2004. To my horror, I started receiving lawyer letter sometime later telling me that I still owe this cunning gym a subscription payment which I do not know of. Later, deduction was made via my bank account unknowingly. I called up to enquire what happened & they told my termination should ceased in mid of Jul 2004 instead. What the!!??

So people, when you terminate your cunning gym membership from this cunning organization, be careful with the black & white you are holding. They will find all necessary excuses to have your bank account deducted & send you lawyer letter if they didn't receive it.

Last but not least, I find that their sales personnel are real cunning. The questions that they pose for you, will be very "pushy/tricky" to make you sign up their membership.

I have a friend signing up california membership for only $59/mth himself instead. All the rest paying $89/mth for a visit to a single gym. What he did was, keep rejecting the sales person until he's about to leave & you will get super duper discount.

But, do seriously take note of the above when terminating your cunning gym membership to prevent yourself from being short of 1 month's usage of the cunning gym & 1 month's subcription $ deducted from your bank FOR NO REASON. By the way, their customer service really sux to the core.... "There's nothing we can do, what is done is done"

can report to the CASE or not?

I'm wondering whether it's worth reporting to CASE or not & how much it's worth reporting & whether the amount compensated to me will be justifyable etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    can report to the CASE or not?

Quote Originally Posted by photobeginner
    I'm wondering whether it's worth reporting to CASE or not & how much it's worth reporting & whether the amount compensated to me will be justifyable etc etc

its your principal, not $$$ that matters here. look, they 'cheated' you (PERIOD), if you do not report, more ppl will be cheated this way as well.

One more thing:

If anyone of you ever receive a free 2 weeks gym membership usage, bear in mind to get yourself "ready" to be "psycho-ed" by the sales personnel over there that you will then be "convinced" to sign up for the gym (which happens to most of my referrals, I'm asking them to cancel their california fitness membership as there are better gym out there for ladies & not so expensive & lousy customer service as california fitness)

I did not fall for the trick above. But what I did fall for is this (Other couples, please beware of this trick):

The sales personnel tried to recommend packages over & over again to my wife & I. We keep rejecting as we normally would want to try out the facilities @ the gym before deciding. After 1 hour + of nonsensical talk with the sales personnel, he came with a surprising package of "so-call" cheaper package $74/mth per person for usage of gym & saying that other couples or people are paying $89/mth per person. When I ask what this $74 package is & how come it's not included in their brochure, the sales personnel changed topic & did not answer my question asking me to trust him that this plan is cheaper. (It's my fault to stupidly trust him instead)

What the $74 package is about is: It's just a normal $89 + $59 (Something like a main & sub account)

What I feel is that, this sales personnel have to lie to me in order to make me sign up california membership telling me that it's a couple package. [My |3utts (_|_) man.... ] Cos if he were to tell me that this is a main & sub package, I would not sign for it again. So hope you people out there won't get conned by this package.

Why do I say that? Because, I have a childhood friend & he, together with 3 of his friends, signed up for only $59!!! &, it's not off-peak hour, it's the same plan I'm having! And all he did was just keep rejecting & rejecting & he'll get it eventually.

Just to share this lousy experience with everyone so that we singaporeans or any other foreigners living in singapore, not get fooled by this people in gym.

Market is tough out there right now with Planet Fitness, Amore, Sportshall, NTUC, Safra & some others which I do not know of gym out there for us to choose.

I have no issue with the facilities provided by California, but the after-sales service they provide is too lousy.

Just like in time sharing scheme, always avoid getting sucked into hard ssell tactics. They will try to run you don until you give up and say yes. Just tell them you need to think about it first. Anybody who hard sell to me will always be rejected. I will only listen to sensible sales person.

Hmmm quite interesting. Will keep my eyes and ears peeled. I managed to get a one month free trial w/o any hassle. The guy just filled up the forms and thats it. No hardsell or questions. Very efficient and friendly. I was quite surprised myself. Maybe its just different types of people.

Thanks for the heads up though.

All I can say is that you've met 1 who doesn't even know how to sell. So many of my referrals are cancelling their gym membership right now due to what happened to me (I ask them to sign up, I ask them to quit la, so many other gym to offer, what's there to be afraid about?) Anyway, they told me that the sales personnel are very "pushy/cunning/tricky" smile smile, talk very nice to you when you haven't sign. But when u sign already & call back to ask simple questions, be ready to hit the nail in your own head. Many times, they are not able to answer simple questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hmmm quite interesting. Will keep my eyes and ears peeled. I managed to get a one month free trial w/o any hassle. The guy just filled up the forms and thats it. No hardsell or questions. Very efficient and friendly. I was quite surprised myself. Maybe its just different types of people.

Thanks for the heads up though.

i've tried california, planet fitness(on 2 week trial membership), and fitness first(1 wk trial)

fitness first is goooood~~~

my friends were jus raving on and on about them and their friendly staff and great facilities etc. they said members could sign guests in for free (but not all the time la, buay pai say meh?) or get them the trial 1 week thing.

i didnt quite believe until i was given a 1 week trial and decided to go try.

the staff, not pushy for sales like other centres. she even said "you know if u dun wanna listen to any sales talk, you can just go start your workout, this one dont need to listen!!"

yes, i was going OMG OMG i dont believe this.

their facilities r really cool too, with gym, swimming pool and tennis. u can borrow tee shirts and shorts for no extra cost, and even at "peak" hour it isnt really so packed. no blastin music like cali so u can hav peaceful work out. there's a spa there too so u can book massages and stuff..

haha. this is sounding like some sales talk, but i'm really up for supporting them even though i'm not a member cos i jus think they're doing it right.

Woah that is some experience you have there. I was jerked by them a few times before I became a member tho...that two week thing became a few months pester man . But in the end after a few months of silence, my friend told me of a package that he was offered and he invited me and another friend to join. Smooth sailing all the way after that. I paid like $1600+ a year (straight from credit card) and got the next 3 years free . Yup, you heard it...not a corporate account, not bulk, nothing. Just me and my two friends and they gave us this package a year plus ago. Quite funny how they came up with such package man. Funny thing is after the 3 years, I can extend every year for $188 straight off . Dunno if I will be jerked by them after that but I will wait and see. Also best to keep your receipt with all the info...they may screw you when you want to renew.
    Facilities wise pretty alright, good machines with some pretty good workout sessions. I know how it feels to be jerked by them man...tick me off several times

Keeping this thread alive for those who missed it

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Photobeginner for sharing the experience.

businesses who take 4 years subscription upfront is extremely dangerous. they take the money first but eventually if they close down, you are screwed.
    also, the extra cash allows them to invest in other areas which may or may not be successful. and they have no incentive to provide good service. very bad idea..

Quote Originally Posted by silverfrond
    fitness first is goooood~~~
    If you come down to KL, or rather up to KL, go to Fitness First in Menara Maxis, next to KLCC. This is where very old men do their 'Baywatch'.

It's too expensive to join FF in KL now, they started out at RM60 membership, now up to RM170++ per month.

Wow,, thanks for sharing

For me, I joined Planet Fitness with the membership that allows me to go to all three of their branches (Far East Square, Suntec City, Great World City). So far, I quite satisfied with them (Most of the time I'm at GWC - I visited all the branches but I think that the GWC one is the best of the lot. FES one is tiny and there's lots of people since its splat in the middle of CBD area - then again if you are going babe watching you'd go there). Been paying about S$120 per month :Sign up first year & 2nd is free, so that works out to be about $60/month.
    Referred some of my friends for a 2 week trial thing & my friends tell me they were surprised that there was no hard sell...

think you should report this to the police.

Thanks for sharing!

I've been to Planet & California gym on the Trial pass. Have friends who sign up to each gym. They recommend me to go and see the their gyms.

Not really fantastic when compare with some other gyms available, maybe more treadmills, more aerobic classes.

But I think the gym silverfrond mentioned seem very good.
    their facilities r really cool too, with gym, swimming pool and tennis. u can borrow tee shirts and shorts for no extra cost, and even at "peak" hour it isnt really so packed. no blastin music like cali so u can hav peaceful work out. there's a spa there too so u can book massages and stuff..

Why no one recommend Safra MegaGym? It is rebranding itself by December. Think going to change to a not so 'Gungho' name, can't remember exactly.

I understand that this gym used to be all males but now I see more and more ladies member, all location recently have undergone upgrading, equipment also on par to those more expensive gyms.

I'm a member myself, already 3 years. Only $30 per month! 5 Locations available. But of course the size is smaller when compare to Planet or California fitness per location. But 5 places for you to choose!

Best for couples to go together is the Yishun Safra, followed by Tampines, Toa Payoh, Bukit Merah, Town Club is too small. Bukit Merah will be shifting to newest, largest(I think) location at Telok Blangah near Telok Blangah Hill. I believe the Gym at the new location will be the best then.

Have classes available too. But if you are the type that need "pushing" when you can exercise will have to wait longer. Not as many classes when compared to other commercial gym.

There are instructors there for you to approach on training tips and assistance, if you should require them.

One catch, male have to be Safra member 1st, not sure Span or Cdan member can join or not.

Ladies can join straight away.
    Last edited by Aton; 3rd August 2004 at 12:46 AM.

still a member wit them.....now seldom go liao.. slacked after getting married.. al the while still quite happy with them... but oni recently that we discover that they still havent good us our gym game & goodies and stuff.... thou those are cheap stuff... but to me its like... the sales people can hassle u for months to sign.. be nice to u when u go for their trials... but once u sign... diff story liao.... man it has been a year plus... i still havent get my bag,,,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12