Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

  1. #21
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    but that one busts the "100-1000" budget
    Den the TS can just compare how different lenses compare to the 18-200IS -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12

  2. #22
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Den the TS can just compare how different lenses compare to the 18-200IS -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12
    your shot with the 18-200 @ 80mm f/5, the bokeh is quite pleasant, in my opinion. And the subject isolation from the background is definitely there, which contradicts TS' "I cannot achieve bokeh with 18-200IS" statement
    Exploring! :)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    your shot with the 18-200 @ 80mm f/5, the bokeh is quite pleasant, in my opinion. And the subject isolation from the background is definitely there, which contradicts TS' "I cannot achieve bokeh with 18-200IS" statement
    Every lens have it's strength and limitation, it's how the photographer work around the limitation and focus on its strength to get the desired effect.


    Personally for me I always believe, "The equip is only as good as it's wielder".

  4. #24
    Member Jolex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    your shot with the 18-200 @ 80mm f/5, the bokeh is quite pleasant, in my opinion. And the subject isolation from the background is definitely there, which contradicts TS' "I cannot achieve bokeh with 18-200IS" statement

    I think so too, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you set your mode to "P" and zoom all the way out with a zoom lens and focus on something that's quite near, the bokleh effect '"will appear" but of course Av mode is always welcomed.
    A 50mm f/1.8 is good lens and because of it's price, i bought one to get a hang of a prime lens as well so i can better plan for another prime (focal length) if i ever need to get a replacement. Just my thoughts..
    BTW, are you shooting an adult or a child? I'm learning to shoot candid portraits of my little one so i used my zoom about 70% of the time cos sometimes things don't happen when I'm near..
    Canon user

  5. #25
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    50mm 1.8

  6. #26
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolex

    I think so too, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you set your mode to "P" and zoom all the way out with a zoom lens and focus on something that's quite near, the bokleh effect '"will appear" but of course Av mode is always welcomed.
    A 50mm f/1.8 is good lens and because of it's price, i bought one to get a hang of a prime lens as well so i can better plan for another prime (focal length) if i ever need to get a replacement. Just my thoughts..
    BTW, are you shooting an adult or a child? I'm learning to shoot candid portraits of my little one so i used my zoom about 70% of the time cos sometimes things don't happen when I'm near..
    I don't understand how using P mode helps to achieve subject isolation
    What's the difference (in this regard) compared with aperture priority or manual exposure mode, for that matter?

    And... There's no need to buy a prime lens just to get the hang of using one. Simply keep your fingers off the zoom ring on your lens can liao
    Exploring! :)

  7. #27

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Good is relative.
    Not that i say it doesn't give a good bokeh, but some find it less than pleasing. Of course good is relative, and it can be subjective also. Still to a man on shoestring budget, he would find this lens good enough. Like how I did.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

  8. #28
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by MamboJambo View Post
    Hi Guys and Senior,

    I would like to move into human shooting or Potrait. I see so many LENS and I am at a lost what should I get?

    Budget from 100 to 1000.

    Between I am using Canon 60D. Hope I can have some answer or clues.

    Thanks and Happy Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai
    if Budget, i recommend getting 50mm f1.8. The bokeh is rather good. Though I'm sure some pros here will suggest f1.2 of f1.4.

    if willing to splurge, 85mm or 100mm macro will be excellent.

    Oh yah, I'm referring to Canon lenses.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  9. #29
    Member fusionz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Milky Way
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 AIS but you got to get a F mount to EOS mount adapter since you are using Canon. Manual focus only thou.

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 AIS but you got to get a F mount to EOS mount adapter since you are using Canon. Manual focus only thou.
    Don't they make one for canon mount as well?

  11. #31
    Member fusionz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Milky Way
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Don't they make one for canon mount as well?
    Nope, only available in AIS or Pentax K mount. For Canon, got to use the adapter. Maybe they have came out with EOS mount which I am not sure.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    I don't favor the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Since you have the budget, the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is the better choice. Of course, your shooting style matters.

    Indeed, the 85mm is not meant to be THE lens for every portrait use; this logic applies for every lens.

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Nope, only available in AIS or Pentax K mount. For Canon, got to use the adapter. Maybe they have came out with EOS mount which I am not sure.
    If going for Nikon adapter mount, there are more lenses to go for rather than the Nokton 58/1.4 SLII.

    Many older Ai/Ais lenses are excellent!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    135 f2 might be out of your budget....how about 200 f2.8? 2nd hand sometimes can get 700+ or below.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Indeed, the 85mm is not meant to be THE lens for every portrait use; this logic applies for every lens.
    One of the reason why my fav lens now is the 18-200IS is it's versatility.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    After seeing what 18-200IS can do, i think my problem is that I don't appreciate what I have. I will go back to the drawing board and learn to appreciate my lens.

    I just borrowed a 50 F1.8 from my friend, it is kind of difficult to shoot whole body frame. seems that it is good for facial feature as we need to get close to the model, correct me if I am wrong

    thank you guys for the comment and sharing, keep coming...btw, Gong Xi Fa Cai, Huat ah!

  17. #37

    Default Re: Recommendation for Potrait LENS with good DOF and Bokeh

    85f/1.8
    50f/1.8 or f/1.4
    134 f/2 (2nd hand)

    These above 3 lens are good and within your budget. Considering your budget, i would vote for 85 f/1.8. you can pair it up with a 50 f/1.8 or even a 50 f/1.4 (2nd hand) if you need something wider and they will still be under 1k.

    optimally, it's 85 f/1.2 or f/1.4 (Zeiss ZE mount) or 200 f/2
    Playing with M43.

  18. #38
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamboJambo
    After seeing what 18-200IS can do, i think my problem is that I don't appreciate what I have. I will go back to the drawing board and learn to appreciate my lens.

    I just borrowed a 50 F1.8 from my friend, it is kind of difficult to shoot whole body frame. seems that it is good for facial feature as we need to get close to the model, correct me if I am wrong

    thank you guys for the comment and sharing, keep coming...btw, Gong Xi Fa Cai, Huat ah!
    The 50/1.8 gives the same field of view as the 18-200 @ 50mm
    You didn't need to borrow the prime lens just to figure out that it's too tight for full body portraits.
    Exploring! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •