Thread: Lenses for Nature / Bird Photography

Default Lenses for Nature / Bird Photography

Hi fellow members

If I am interested in nature / bird photography, wat lenses / converters combination should one be looking at ?
    And what can one do in order not to blow a BIG hole in the budget ?
    What are the estimated price for the various zoom lenses in the market ?

Get Sigma 50-500mm $1.65k or cheaper still, stick to what you have and shoot bird in cage.

also if can, get a dslr with as much crop factor as possible... highest is the 300D and 10D... 1.6x... with sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, can easily get 800mm!!!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    Hi fellow members

If I am interested in nature / bird photography, wat lenses / converters combination should one be looking at ?
    And what can one do in order not to blow a BIG hole in the budget ?
    What are the estimated price for the various zoom lenses in the market ?
    Not burn a big hole?

Get a Panasonic FZ10/FZ20.

hahhahaa !!!!! yah, using a 300D, maybe a sigma 50 - 500 mm worth considering huh ? hows the quality like ?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfly
    Not burn a big hole?

Get a Panasonic FZ10/FZ20.
    very hard and slow to focus, my sis has it. we tried on some small birds but very hard to get a focus lock against a very strong backlight. manual focus cannot make it, turn turn turn, dun know if i got it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    hahhahaa !!!!! yah, using a 300D, maybe a sigma 50 - 500 mm worth considering huh ? hows the quality like ?
    Overall, it's a good lens for 'low' budget minded people like us. I just got it. It produces sharp pictures but it weighs 1.6kg. Aperture is f4 at wide end and f6.3 at tele end. So if you need to shoot a distant subject at the tele, you'll need good lighting. And you'll need to factor in a good tripod as well to minimise motion blur. You also need a 86mm UV filter to protect the lens and it costs abt $90 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    very hard and slow to focus, my sis has it. we tried on some small birds but very hard to get a focus lock against a very strong backlight. manual focus cannot make it, turn turn turn, dun know if i got it or not.
    Is it? I find the focus quite instant.(as compared to 10D + Canon 50mm). Never tried L lenses.
    Here is one bird I caught recently -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=84391

Sigma SD-10 / SD-9 has 1.7x crop factor. Olympus E-1 is 2x

work around your budget. state what camera you are owning now and any lenses .

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    Is it? I find the focus quite instant.(as compared to 10D + Canon 50mm). Never tried L lenses.
    Here is one bird I caught recently -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=84391
    i really prefer the focus of the 50mm then, at least when i manual focus, i can easily see where i'm going.

i tried focusing on a spiderweb with highlights and dark background, no luck too!!! i'm stupid with this camera