Default Re: Photographer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Something serious to think about...

What make you a photographer?

Because...

1. I am passionate...
    2. It is my rice bowl...
    This topic again?

To me, a photographer is someone who captures images as a form of expression or art. A GWC who shoots XMM all day for the sole purpose of clogging his harddrive with pictures of SYT does not count.

If it is your ricebowl, I'd say you are a "pro", but not necessarily a photographer.
    Alpha

Something serious to think about...

What make you a photographer?

Because...

1. I am passionate...
    2. It is my rice bowl...
    you need to make clear definition of what is "photographer" first...

taken from Oxford Dictionary online
    photographer(phoŠtog|raphŠer)

Pronunciation:/fəˈtɒgrəfə/

noun
    a person who takes photographs, especially as a job:a freelance press photographer
    if by this definition, only those who make a living can reply to your question......
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need to make clear definition of what is "photographer" first...

taken from Oxford Dictionary onlineif by this definition, only those who make a living can reply to your question......
    The definition states "especially", not "only". So people who take photos as a hobby count as a photographer too. I'd say a professional photographer takes photos for a living, but a photographer does not have to take photos for a living

Who the hell cares!?

Take another skill for instance... I can draw and paint... if you sit in front of me for an hour I can make an accurate sketch of you... But I don't call myself an artist, you can call me that if you like, or not if you like. I don't care...I just like to do and enjoy what I like...

For photography, it's the same for me... Over the past months I've learned how to handle my tools and understand certain photography concepts (thanks to the peeps on CS and internet)... Sometimes I'd like think I've managed to take a nice picture, other times I found much crap on my memory card. At times I don't care - certain situations you can't control the environment you're in - as certain important moments can't wait for you, neither will it "re-happen" again for you. All I care is did I get a good clean shot of that important moment? A few times, even a blurry shot of one single important moment can't make me delete that image - coz it's all I've got...

Call me a photographer (just because of gears I have) or a GWC won't matter to me... Call me whatever you deemed fit. I enjoy photography and capturing the important moments is all I care about. Getting spoilt and poisoned with gears? Who doesn't? Captured crappy images? Who hasn't? Heard people call me a pro photographer even though I'm not even there yet? Who hasn't? Heard peeps calling me a GWC? Well, I haven't... but I won't mind, it's your call not mine...

It's a word... don't get too fixated by it...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Who the hell cares!?

Take another skill for instance... I can draw and paint... if you sit in front of me for an hour I can make an accurate sketch of you... But I don't call myself an artist, you can call me that if you like, or not if you like. I don't care...I just like to do and enjoy what I like...

For photography, it's the same for me... Over the past months I've learned how to handle my tools and understand certain photography concepts (thanks to the peeps on CS and internet)... Sometimes I'd like think I've managed to take a nice picture, other times I found much crap on my memory card. At times I don't care - certain situations you can't control the environment you're in - as certain important moments can't wait for you, neither will it "re-happen" again for you. All I care is did I get a good clean shot of that important moment? A few times, even a blurry shot of one single important moment can't make me delete that image - coz it's all I've got...

Call me a photographer (just because of gears I have) or a GWC won't matter to me... Call me whatever you deemed fit. I enjoy photography and capturing the important moments is all I care about. Getting spoilt and poisoned with gears? Who doesn't? Captured crappy images? Who hasn't? Heard people call me a pro photographer even though I'm not even there yet? Who hasn't? Heard peeps calling me a GWC? Well, I haven't... but I won't mind, it's your call not mine...

Honestly, I feel weird being called a photographer just coz I turn up at weddings with my camera. I always insist that I'm just into photography coz I'm nowhere near the skill level of a "photographer".
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Who the hell cares!?

Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I am a photographer (someone who likes to take photo) but not a professional photographer (makes a living out of photography).

Quote from dictionary.com, the meaning of photographer

pho·tog·ra·pher
       /fəˈtɒgrəfər/ Show Spelled[fuh-tog-ruh-fer] Show IPA
    –noun
    a person who takes photographs, esp. one who practices photography professionally.

World English Dictionary
    photographer (fəˈtɒɡrəfə) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
    a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession
    Last edited by sinned79; 1st February 2011 at 02:25 PM.

I am a photographer because I have a lanyard with a tag saying I am one..

Quote Originally Posted by Draken413o View Post
    I am a photographer because I have a lanyard with a tag saying I am one..
    Oo.. then i am a better photographer... coz my lanyard got the word "Official"...

Btw, nice expression.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Call me a gwc anytime...i feel less pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post

Honestly, I feel weird being called a photographer just coz I turn up at weddings with my camera. I always insist that I'm just into photography coz I'm nowhere near the skill level of a "photographer".
    but if u r not a photographer then what u r? dun tell me u r a girl with a camera, bcos a photographer is definitely someone with a camera.

no need to feel weird, u r not calling yourself a great photographer... just a photographer...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Oo.. then i am a better photographer... coz my lanyard got the word "Official"...

Btw, nice expression.
    touche.... hahaha

I like definition from Wikipedia
    A photographer, from the Greek φωτός, "light" and γράφω, "I write", is a person who takes photographs using a camera. A professional photographer uses photography to earn money whilst amateur photographers take photographs for pleasure and to record an event, emotion, place, or person.
    I am under red bold category.
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

I'm a photographer, not because I have a camera in my hand.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

A person who take a law degree is not necessarily a lawyer...

A person who take a law degree is not necessarily a lawyer...
    true, the person may not be practising law as a lawyer but probably as a consultant (heard they earn more these days by joining as a law consultant with big firms, since lawyer dun have a monthly salary but only got paid when got court case to fight/defend).

I'm a photographer cause I make a picture with light...

Simple term, even my young 3 yr old nephew can be a photographer too
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Anyone who takes a photo with a camera is a photographer.
    How gd is he/she is another matter altogether.
    Photographer is NOT a professional title like a doctor, lawyer.

Yes, someone with a law degree is not a lawyer, but thats because theres a governing body with its rules.

Unless some international body says that we must take a test before we get a cert that says we passed and earned the title 'PHOTOGRAPHER'... everyone who picks up a camera, even lomo/pns and shoot is one..
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 9th February 2011 at 02:26 AM.

So the conslusion is any person who holds a camera and take pic is a photographer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast