Thread: Memory Stick Pro Duo totally fried???

Default Memory Stick Pro Duo totally fried???

I put it inside a psp, was loading files from it, I was running it entirely on DC output, no battery inside, accidentally detached the wire and the PSP switched off, thinking nohing much, i put back the plug and the 8gb Lexaar card reads 0kb space available, and all the files totally wiped out inside.

Tried formatiing the card with the PSP and inside the computer(which cannot even read it after this incident), still 0kb available.

Does this happen to camera cards too if u remove the battery while camera buffering pics?

Default Re: Memory Stick Pro Duo totally fried???

Urm, obviously?

Writing data to a card is not as simple as dumping information into it. The information first passes through the memory controller in the card which manages the file allocation tables and wear levelling, if the card supports the latter. And within the controller a lot of work is being run in the background, such as sorting out the data for storage in which memory blocks and calculating how many contiguous blocks should be allocated to it or whether it would be better to 'fragment' it to different blocks.And once that is done only does the controller start writing data into the memory blocks.

Needless to say, unbranded cards that sell for like $10 a piece will lack the kind of protection found on more reputable cards, and good luck to you if the power was cut when the controller is making references to the file allocation table. Busted file allocation tablet = GG to your card, big time.

Can try to open it via a memory card reader. Mine encountered similar issue before and my desktop Windows 7 able to detect my memory stick was corrupted and prompted me to repair it. After repaired, it was working again.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

ok thanks for the advices, tried loading from memory card reader, also cannot even read, it should be totally fried. Not important files so guess it was a "safe" lesson

time to search for BnS section for a card!