Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lens to buy for my Canon 550D for my upcoming Japan Trip???

Default Which lens to buy for my Canon 550D for my upcoming Japan Trip???

Hi Everyone,

I need to seek for your advice for which type of lenses to buy for my upcoming trip to Japan in March. I would like to take photos of the night view of Tokyo Tower, street views of Japan and landscapes as well. Currently, I'm using the kit lens 18-55mm. I was told by my friends that I should buy the 17-55 f2.8 which is sufficient for the trip. Oh well, there are some who says that the kit lens is sufficient.

Normally, besides taking photos of landscape photos, I would love to take photos of my 1 year old. So, is 17-55 f2.8 suitable for potraits as well??

I'm alright with third party lenses....

Haiz... Damn confused right now..

Need advice badly.

Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Which lens to buy for my Canon 550D for my upcoming Japan Trip???

Nah. Use your kit lens. Bring a tripod.
    Alpha

TS, you appear to be clueless on your buying or what you can do with the lens. It would be a good idea to know what exactly you are buying ?? I second Rashkae, use the kit lens. Night scenery get a tripod.
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

Yeah another vote for a tripod and your 18-55 is good enough for landscapes n street stuffs. Unless u wanna add a 50 f1.8 for low light stuffs.
    Licence to shoot.

Yeah!
    Tripod and 50/1.8
    Exploring! :)

Kit lens is sufficient, you can follow the advice of the bros above, get a tripod (if u dun have) and a fast cheap prime like 50 1.8
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    Kit lens is sufficient, you can follow the advice of the bros above, get a tripod (if u dun have) and a fast cheap prime like 50 1.8
    and gals!
    Licence to shoot.

15-85mm! Power range!
    --

15-85 is a good lens...

if you can afford the 17-55, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    and gals!
    Bad idea, his pocket will become much lighter after the trip.

Just stick with the kit lens. IF you require longer zoom for your scenery....can consider 55-250 (2nd hand ard $250, check out B&S) which complements 18-55 quite well.

Night Scenery = Low ISO, Small Aperture (min F8 >) and Long shutter speed (Turn off IS/VR).

So just make sure you bring your tripod for the Night Scenery and you will be fine. More importantly enjoy the trip and shooting
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Bad idea, his pocket will become much lighter after the trip.
    oh no... totally misunderstood.. ok, sorry for OT..
    Licence to shoot.

Kit lens, 50mm for low light/indoor, and a good light TRIPOD

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    and gals!
    my bad! do take heed from the suggestions of bros and sis above!
    Playing with M43.

Thanks for the advices!!! Meanwhile I would just take the kit lens for my Japan Trip. Most probably, I would have to see what do actually do I intend to shoot and from there, I will know which lens to buy.

If you intend to take pictures in the dark or see the nightlife, you will appreciate the 17-55 f/2.8 capabilities.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

btw... meaning turning off IS when putting the camera on the tripod rt ?

Is 1/4000 enough or bulb for night scenery shots ? The longer the better right since want to keep ISO n F8 or F11..

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Just stick with the kit lens. IF you require longer zoom for your scenery....can consider 55-250 (2nd hand ard $250, check out B&S) which complements 18-55 quite well.

Night Scenery = Low ISO, Small Aperture (min F8 >) and Long shutter speed (Turn off IS/VR).

So just make sure you bring your tripod for the Night Scenery and you will be fine. More importantly enjoy the trip and shooting

Not to forget cable/wireless shutter release to reduce camera shake

I brought my 550D with the 18-55mm kit lens plus 50mm f1.4 to my Italy trip a couple of months ago... 90% of the time i was using the 18-55mm, the 50mm f1.4 was mostly for portrait shots in the evening/setting sun... but i must say my favourite photos from the trip were taken with the 50mm f1.4 lens wide open.

Love the background blurring and subject isolation capabilities of the 50mm f1.4 lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast