Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget approved! get the macro+tele or the zoom?

Default Re: Budget approved! get the macro+tele or the zoom?

lol. thanks for england lesson.

both are great lens anyway.

Let's make this simple here. 70-200mm VR1 is sharp in the center, while 70-200mm VR2 is sharp throughout the whole FX frame from center to corner. If it is on a DX body, the camera can enjoy the "sweet-spot" of the lens where the center region is capture on the DX sensor while leaving the not as sharp corners out of frame. Am I right Kent?

Yes, thanks for help and better explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Let's make this simple here. 70-200mm VR1 is sharp in the center, while 70-200mm VR2 is sharp throughout the whole FX frame from center to corner. If it is on a DX body, the camera can enjoy the "sweet-spot" of the lens where the center region is capture on the DX sensor while leaving the not as sharp corners out of frame. Am I right Kent?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Okay, your England is power. I repeat my last and last statement again - their performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper.
    If you don't like, you can report to the Moderator. Peace.
    I got nothing against you but i compared the lenses based on my experience cause i used and own both version of the lenses and not base on some online reviews... VR1 is sharp in the centre but the vr2 is much sharper not only in the corners but centre.. To see the result.... simply use the 70-200 VR and VR2 with a TC..

It's ok Omega, just a bit frustration on the miscommunication part. I'm still a noob, especially on the technical part of the gears. It would help a lot on my shooting if I know the gears better. And without the feedback and help of the CSers to clear the mistakes I've made, it's not going to be easy and quick to learn all these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    I got nothing against you but i compared the lenses based on my experience cause i used and own both version of the lenses and not base on some online reviews... VR1 is sharp in the centre but the vr2 is much sharper not only in the corners but centre.. To see the result.... simply use the 70-200 VR and VR2 with a TC..
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

It's ok Omega, just a bit frustration on the miscommunication part.
    Great to see this thread not turning into another 'war.'

It's ok Omega, just a bit frustration on the miscommunication part. I'm still a noob, especially on the technical part of the gears. It would help a lot on my shooting if I know the gears better. And without the feedback and help of the CSers to clear the mistakes I've made, it's not going to be easy and quick to learn all these things.
    It not about been a noob.. everyone even the PROS started out as a noob BTW.. and even pros are learning as they come along.. thats how everyone improve... Enjoy shooting... so much fun then comparing lenses..

if yr not the worried about 3rd party type, can look up a tamron 90 2.8 and a tokina AT-X Pro 300 f/2.8. the 300 goes very well with the tc 1.4. that set up will prob cost you a little less than the 105 vr and 300 f4. i ve used the tokina and it is really really good. af is super fast, and you can actually hand hold it.

right now i have a 1st gen 300 f4, and a 80-200 af-s and 2X. i wouldnt recommend the 70-200 and 2X combo. i rather 300 and 1.4X

imho, if you re not shooting jobs, no need to invest in a 70-200. i only ever use my 80-200 for events..
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Rainy days isn't helping with the moods. Been busy on phones and emailings whole of Sunday (almost went down office and murder someone).

70-200 vr1 or vr2 are great lens! May not need it yet since I still have one lens that covers that range. Of cos, the big diff in IQ.

3rd party reminds me of tokina which I owned one and like. There is a tokina macro 100mm f2.8, it had pretty good reviews and lower price. But never seen the 300mm version before, wonder still available?

D300 | 11-16 f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8 | 105mm f2.8 micro | 300mm f4 | SB900 | R1

Quote Originally Posted by kol1te View Post
    Rainy days isn't helping with the moods. Been busy on phones and emailings whole of Sunday (almost went down office and murder someone).

70-200 vr1 or vr2 are great lens! May not need it yet since I still have one lens that covers that range. Of cos, the big diff in IQ.

3rd party reminds me of tokina which I owned one and like. There is a tokina macro 100mm f2.8, it had pretty good reviews and lower price. But never seen the 300mm version before, wonder still available?
    i ve used the 100 f/2.8. every bit as good as the tamron 90, but better built. i used to buff my nails on the finish when i was bored(seriously).

i actually have the 300 f/2.8 sitting here with me now, it back focuses a little bit, but my body doesnt have af correction. if not it'd be fine.

hand held, manual focus:

with tamron 2X TC at closest focusing distance with flash.

more on the lens with sample pictures too
    http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/searc...%20300mm%20PRO
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    i ve used the 100 f/2.8. every bit as good as the tamron 90, but better built. i used to buff my nails on the finish when i was bored(seriously).

i actually have the 300 f/2.8 sitting here with me now, it back focuses a little bit, but my body doesnt have af correction. if not it'd be fine.
    I like the way you described the build of the lens.
    D200

LOL didn't know lens have other uses, :-)

I brought my wife along for shopping.. Made an appeal and raised the budget to 4k! Now I can get what I originally wished - Nikon's 105mm and 300mm! Oh, plus a TC 1.4! woohoo! Go go go before change of mind!

D300 | 11-16 f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8 | 105mm f2.8 micro | 300mm f4 | SB900 | R1

I brought my wife along for shopping.. Made an appeal and raised the budget to 4k! Now I can get what I originally wished - Nikon's 105mm and 300mm! Oh, plus a TC 1.4! woohoo! Go go go before change of mind!
    Quick tell her she can also use the lens to buff nails, maybe can up the budget even more

About 3.6k, still got some change for tripod or ring flash.

Nail buffer/paper weight/fire starter? It sure has lots of value added functions! :-)

I had nikon 105mm f2.8 vr in my basket now! :-) Cost me $1.4k with filter! :-(

300mm f4 is abt $2.2k with filter. Yet to get it.

Have to leave TC 1.4 (600++) for later...this year.

Nail buffer/paper weight/fire starter? It sure has lots of value added functions! :-)

oh my, 300mm f4 price has gone up so much and no VR feature , I paid about 1800-1900 many years back. TC14E was only about 500+ then. Thought should be cheaper or about same price.

Do consider TC17E too, for my copy the sharpness still acceptable.

I thought your budget is $3K?
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

Hehe beg and weep like a child who wants more scoops of ice cream. And suggesting alternate use as the nail buffer seems to help. LOL!!

By the way, guess what? Out of the excitement, didn't check the filter size. It's a 67 not a 62 which is the correct one. Going back again for an exchange!

Not necessary to get nikon TCx1.4, can consider kenko DG X 1.4xTC, got very good feedback on it.

Happy shooting.

Remember to spare some budget for miscellaneous spending like... macro lighting, macro sliding mount for tripod, ... etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast