Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Olympus PEN E-PL2 - by ed9119

Ed..how is the red spot issue? Do u think it is overhyped?

Default Re: REVIEW: Olympus PEN E-PL2

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    I am not sure of the first advantage, no problem whatsoever with my 300mm zoom. (600 mm equivalent)
    Wow.. 600mm HANDHELD without any "problem" hmm... maybe you are still young...

For me my longest setup is 200 x 1.6 x 2 = 640mm (35mm equivalent), it helps alot in my composition.

I would rather my IS be in the body. My lenses, keep it as dumb as possible - glass, metal, and some gears. And hopefully will last a long time and be future proof for 5-10 years. Keep all the technologu in the body. That one, I am prepared to upgrade every few years.
    Lenses are not as "dumb" as you think... they are firmware upgradable too.

For example the same generation Panny m4/3 using it's own kit lens have a general faster AF compared to the Oly with kit lens. This is achieve not only by the body but the lens as well.

Like I say, both technologies have their advantages and disadvantages and there are many field of debate on this.

Is the saving pass back to the consumer? My answer: Not Always... just look at the price of Sony lenses in SG to those of the same class of other brands.

Sorry for extended OT, but TS did ask.
    Did TS (Thread Starter - Ed), asked the question?

To Ed (TS), if you feel I OT too much on this topic do let me know....
    Last edited by Anson; 30th January 2011 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

IS on body or on lens ..... I have no opinion.... its always turned off ... maybe the other mods who use IS can comment .... or maybe it deserves a thread on its own in General Tech Talk section

OK still raining this afternoon... brought the camera down to chinatown for a bit of a walkabout

Last edited by ed9119; 30th January 2011 at 07:47 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Last edited by ed9119; 30th January 2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    Ed..how is the red spot issue? Do u think it is overhyped?
    I just read up about this red spot issue in the other forums ......I really dont know.... LOL there has been no sun to speak of these few days and I rarely shoot backlit into a blazing sun

But I do have an 'Epic Fail' pic below from last night (my fault, not the camera's) which should simulate the sun . Handheld in absolutely miserable conditions

No Red anything spotted in or around the headlights.... a bit of flare maybe ..... which is expected on ANY camera/lens shooting like this

and the crop below

Last edited by ed9119; 30th January 2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Walkeast

Would it be possible for one of the reviewers to post a landscape type photo with foliage, grass in the scene - taken at base ISO and with NR off (with the foliage/grass at a distance as in a fairly typical landscape type scene, ie not a close-up of foliage/grass) ? Some samples I've seen from the net shows very 'mushy' greens in the images (very reminiscent of some canon models which do similar on foliage/grass) - not sure if it's the noise reduction or not.

An example of what I'm talking about, from this review at ephotozine
    http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/o...pl2_colour.jpg

Notice the very 'mushy' grass in the scene - very digital and not natural looking (and this is at base ISO 200)

Blog Entries

the cameras are being distributed amongst the mods these couple of days ..... will advise them
    of the requests.... no plans for me to drive out to the parks or resevoirs this week
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Would it be possible for one of the reviewers to post a landscape type photo with foliage, grass in the scene - taken at base ISO and with NR off (with the foliage/grass at a distance as in a fairly typical landscape type scene, ie not a close-up of foliage/grass) ? Some samples I've seen from the net shows very 'mushy' greens in the images (very reminiscent of some canon models which do similar on foliage/grass) - not sure if it's the noise reduction or not.

An example of what I'm talking about, from this review at ephotozine
    http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/o...pl2_colour.jpg

Notice the very 'mushy' grass in the scene - very digital and not natural looking (and this is at base ISO 200)
    eh... som, the link don't work...

anyway, as ed9119 said, there are a few of the mods running ard with the EPL-2 now... problem is that the sun is not cooperating. wait a bit, and we hope to update everyone soon.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119

I just read up about this red spot issue in the other forums ......I really dont know.... LOL there has been no sun to speak of these few days and I rarely shoot backlit into a blazing sun

But I do have an 'Epic Fail' pic below from last night (my fault, not the camera's) which should simulate the sun . Handheld in absolutely miserable conditions

No Red anything spotted in or around the headlights.... a bit of flare maybe ..... which is expected on ANY camera/lens shooting like this

and the crop below

Thanks! The red spot issue apparently surfaces at small aperture settings...what is ur setting may I ask?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    Thanks! The red spot issue apparently surfaces at small aperture settings...what is ur setting may I ask?
    f5

I did a little more googling about this 'red spot issue' because I was curious to know more from my cursory checks last night on the Net..... this phenomenons seems to be feedback by users over a whole range of camera brands and lenses and not just Oly

I'm not an expert in shooting blazing lights at high f stops so am in no position to comment further
    Last edited by ed9119; 31st January 2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Wow.. 600mm HANDHELD without any "problem" hmm... maybe you are still young...

For me my longest setup is 200 x 1.6 x 2 = 640mm (35mm equivalent), it helps alot in my composition.

Lenses are not as "dumb" as you think... they are firmware upgradable too.
    I should know. All the Oly ZD lenses are digital and hence firmware upgradeable. But I would rather keep as little technology out of the lenses and put them into the body as much as possible. IS technology is bound to improve with time. If u have IS in the lens, u have to change all your lenses if the IS technology improves and if u want to keep up. Whereas, u only need to change one body if u want the latest IS technology. U dun have to go and upgrade all your lenses.

As for shooting at long focal lengths, the longest on the ZD system is 300mm which is equivalent of 600 mm FOV. I shoot this focal length hand held as a routine. The only time when I shoot this on a tripod is when I slap on a 2x teleconverter and convert this to a 600mm with a 1200 mm FOV when I am shooting the moon....

Here is a shot at 300 mm (FOV 600 mm) - this is a OOC JPEG, uncropped and no other processing done.

Olympus E3, 300mm, 1/200s, f5.6, ISO 1600

PS. Maybe we should start another thread if we are going to talk about this more.....:-)
    Last edited by Oly5050; 31st January 2011 at 09:59 PM.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Here is a shot at 300 mm (FOV 600 mm) - this is a OOC JPEG, uncropped and no other processing done.

PS. Maybe we should start another thread if we are going to talk about this more.....:-)

This is a thread about EPL2, unless the above pix was taken by the camera with a 300mm lens I dun see the point of posting it in this thread...??????

Which would often confuse people who usually skips the text.

Like I say... not all can hand-held in long focal length, and often the VR/IS on lenses does help... that it's Pros of the design...

Of course there are Cons as well... Remember there is always two side in a coin... no single brand/model camera is BEST for everyone...

Blog Entries

guys if you dont mind.....take up the 'IS in-body or in-lens' discussion somewhere else in the forum .... its a good discussion topic that deserves its own thread

thanks , appreciate it
    Last edited by ed9119; 1st February 2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    guys if you dont mind.....take up the 'IS in-body or in-lens' discussion somewhere else in the forum .... its a good discussion topic that deserves its own thread

thanks , appreciate it
    No problem Ed, I would not comment on the above mention topic in this thread...

To Oly5050, if you wish to start a new thread on this... and let me know okie?....

Blog Entries

Default EPL2 got RED DOT issue or not?

Discussion well underway HERE in Clubsnap's Micro4/3 sub-section

great discussion thread above on Berkin's question
    Last edited by ed9119; 1st February 2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    wow... looks great... can loan me for a test run too? haha...
    i promise to be a good boy...

cheers
    banana
    I would DEARLY love to see the Oly EPL2 in your wicked street-wise hands Banana
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post
    so IS body (e-pl2) + IS lens (lumix 20mm) = super stable IS?
    Errr.... you DO know that the Panny 20mm doesnt have OIS right?
    Panny G85+GH3|EPL5|14|20|45|14-42|12-35|14-140|35-100|Metz 50 AF-1

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    eh... som, the link don't work...

anyway, as ed9119 said, there are a few of the mods running ard with the EPL-2 now... problem is that the sun is not cooperating. wait a bit, and we hope to update everyone soon.
    No worries mate, can wait. As for the link, think they have a referrer check to try and prevent hotlinking - can try this, right click on the link and copy the link, then open up a new tab/window and paste the link, the photo will load then.

Blog Entries

Shot at wide angle before the other art filter images applied ... this is outside my home this morning around 8ish

--------------------------

shot this afternoon around 6.30pm , apologies, I forgot to take a 'normal' pic thats why used this morning's image of same scene for a comparison
    ARTmode on top dial
    ISO200

Pop Art filter

Soft Focus filter

Grainy Film filter

Pin Hole filter
    Last edited by ed9119; 1st February 2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Walkeast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast