Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aristotle's Concept of Friendship?

Default Re: Aristotle's Concept of Friendship?

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    What is the concept of evil? Is it what we (the more advanced creature) have created it? And there are many forms of evil...

Enemies can be friends one day and in turn can become enemies again... It's nothing but a passing moment in life... so yes... one day, your "enemy" can betray you...
    evil, i would say in my own words, is action that is not born of light. that is to say, that it is born and bred to harm and hurt, is deceitful and devious, and is selfish for its own intent.

and of course, at that point of time your "enemy" betrays you, is he or she not your friend?

So you're the first to admit all (if not most) of your friends are either friends of utility or pleasure?

I used to think I have at least one bossom friend... but now I can hardly be sure... Oh how time erodes friendship....
    i believe that humanity makes use of one another. even i do that to a certain extent. humanity makes use of each other as a means to an end. let's say if one day you need to borrow $10, you wouldn't beg for it from a stranger would you?

So you're the first to admit all (if not most) of your friends are either friends of utility or pleasure?

I used to think I have at least one bosom friend... but now I can hardly be sure... Oh how time erodes friendship....

Edit: my bad... I meant bosom friends... lolz...
    Don't worry, kriegsketten

You'll Never Walk Alone.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Yes. This is Life.

It was in the Past. But it served as a good lesson - be careful of whom you considers 'friends'.

Sometimes it is good to be alone. Of course friends are needed. It is fated.

True friends are your family members and spouses.
    I take the above with double dosage of salt and pepper... look at the famous "Ho" family now... I beg your pardon... family members can be even worser and evil at times...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

I take the above with double dosage of salt and pepper... look at the famous "Ho" family now... I beg your pardon... family members can be even worser and evil at times...
    Yes.

This is the Dark side of Humanity.

Still, i would say... it is fated.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    evil, i would say in my own words, is action that is not born of light. that is to say, that it is born and bred to harm and hurt, is deceitful and devious, and is selfish for its own intent.

and of course, at that point of time your "enemy" betrays you, is he or she not your friend?

i believe that humanity makes use of one another. even i do that to a certain extent. humanity makes use of each other as a means to an end. let's say if one day you need to borrow $10, you wouldn't beg for it from a stranger would you?
    Well never say never... I've seen people do it... just because we are not beggars now doesn't mean we'll never do it... it depends on individual's situation ...

Yes, I agree that it is always "friends" betraying "friends"... I was just playing with the concept of time...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 29th January 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Well never say never... I've seen people do it... just because we are not beggars now doesn't mean we'll never do it... it depends on individual's situation ...
    still we rely on others for our own purposes ha

honestly i need to sleep but this debate is too interesting. HAHA

Yes.

This is the Dark side of Humanity.

Still, i would say... it is fated.
    And the saying "that your father and mother will always love you, and they will never hurt you"... Right... the EVEN darker side of humanity... What I dislike are the people who keeps propagating that idea... "frogs in a well"....

What I'm trying to say is...one has got to be careful about giving such "blanketing" advices...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 29th January 2011 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    honestly i need to sleep but this debate is too interesting. HAHA
    Okay... time to call it quits... My Sleep God is giving me the evil eye... "ok ok... I'm cominnnnnnnng"....

And the saying "that your father and mother will always love you, and they will never hurt you"... Right... the EVEN darker side of humanity... What I dislike are the people who keeps propagating that idea... "frogs in a well"....
    Human and animals are very alike.

It is the survival in this horrid world.

Maybe you should also read up on "Satanic Bible" written by Anton LaVey.

It discussed a lot on the darker side of humanity.

What I'm trying to say is...one has got to be careful about giving such "blanketing" advices...
    oh btw, i am not giving "blanketing" advices

Blog Entries

well nothing is constant. its a matter of fate. often ur best friend in life would be the spouse u are planning to spend the rest of ur life with. the others mostly come and go i guess

I just happen to be considering the concepts of friendship and i chance upon your post and url. Great url link.

Work place we tend to form : Friendship based on utility

but sometimes we can move the friendship from utility based to goodness based but usually not easy especially in a work place.

Perfect friendship is based on goodness is what i strive for to. To see and help each other succeed but sometimes been human we are also imperfect. If you reveal too much to your friend u r superior in certain ways example income or opportunities or social status ... inferior people will feel bad and become a back stabber. So we got to balance how we reveal our status to people around us.

I got a young friend likes to go around sharing with everyone he has shares of 300k example. really such a put off to many people.

Not claiming to be an expert of Aristotle, but I do think the concepts have guided me in some way or another in my life since my early years till now in coping with societal issues and human interactions...

Who else is familiar with his 3 concepts? And what are your takes on them? While this is kopitiam, and the possibility of getting OT is very strong... can we engage in at least some form of meaningful discussion?
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well nothing is constant. its a matter of fate. often ur best friend in life would be the spouse u are planning to spend the rest of ur life with. the others mostly come and go i guess
    Depends on how one chooses his/her partner in life... Some people get married for the all the "wrong" reasons... I'll leave you to figure this one out...

When things go wrong we blame it on "fate", when things go smoothly we call ourselves "lucky", or we are "blessed"...

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    I just happen to be considering the concepts of friendship and i chance upon your post and url. Great url link.

Work place we tend to form : Friendship based on utility

but sometimes we can move the friendship from utility based to goodness based but usually not easy especially in a work place.

Perfect friendship is based on goodness is what i strive for to. To see and help each other succeed but sometimes been human we are also imperfect. If you reveal too much to your friend u r superior in certain ways example income or opportunities or social status ... inferior people will feel bad and become a back stabber. So we got to balance how we reveal our status to people around us.

I got a young friend likes to go around sharing with everyone he has shares of 300k example. really such a put off to many people.
    On Clubsnap (and on other forums and even Facebook/Twitter)...we tend to seek friendships based on pleasure (since it is not work related)... and hopefully find "true" friends among these... But really, how successful are we? Then again... It isn't hard to see that some are here just for the "utility" aspect...

Again, what is really a "perfect" friend maybe subjective between individuals...

Is it bad or wrong that most of our friends are based on utility?

As for your young friend... quite the social norm really... it feels good to be "better" or one step higher than others, disregarding the feeling of others. All of us are guilty and capable of that, whether we care to admit or not... Whether we just show it off, or just voice it out aloud...

Human and animals are very alike.

It is the survival in this horrid world.

Maybe you should also read up on "Satanic Bible" written by Anton LaVey.

It discussed a lot on the darker side of humanity.
    Do I really need to do that? I think we can see a lot of them on the news feeds, papers and much more on Youtube...

Atrocities committed on humans are all part of history... started since human walked on the face of this planet... Where ever we venture... we wreak havoc on everything we see and touch..

On a societal level... ethnic cleansing... On a macro level... anything goes... even within closely knitted families (among sibblings, between generations, etc)

Again... finding true frienship is even more precious than the most rarest diamonds and metals in this world...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 29th January 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12