Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review of the Ricoh GXR

Blog Entries

Default Re: Review of the Ricoh GXR

Quote Originally Posted by GujiGui View Post
    where are the good places to buy ricoh gxr in singapore? how about in china?
    Dear GujiGui, you might wish to post your question in consumer corner for better response. This thread is mostly meant for review and camera discussion rather than pricing and availability.

one major complain is the shutter limitation when using f2.5 with the a12 units. under brightly lit condition, i cant achieve the shallow dof due to this constraint. any suggestions?
    other than that, im one happy gxr user.

Default Re: The Colors of GXR

Hi Seb,

I am very interested...are there any photos at ISO 1600 and 3200? Keep up the good work..thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    one major complain is the shutter limitation when using f2.5 with the a12 units. under brightly lit condition, i cant achieve the shallow dof due to this constraint. any suggestions?
    other than that, im one happy gxr user.
    i read from the internet that u can use a nd filter on the lens....40.5 mm if i am not mistaken

i have also purchase the gxr recently....it is a d**n fine camera....gonna test drive it this weekend
    Last edited by Laksaman; 17th March 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laksaman View Post
    i have also purchase the gxr recently....it is a d**n fine camera....gonna test drive it this weekend
    Congratz on the purchase.
    Do share your findings and photos.
    Happy Shooting.

ok...gonna post it in the gxr thread soon

Blog Entries

"Each time you slide in a new camera unit, you find a new world of expression" - GXR

"For total enjoyment of a rich world of lenses"- GXR Mount A12

[August 2011] Ricoh announced the new GXR MOUNT A12, which is compatible with the M-mount. The M-mount is compatible with an extensive range of lenses, from Leica, Ricoh, Voigtländer, Zeiss, etc. Further, older LTM (or screwmounts), S-mount, F-mount and a varity of other mounts can also be mounted with he use of conversion adapters.

The module boast the same APS-C 23.6 × 15.7mm 12 megapixel CMOS sensor as the other A12 units of the 50mm and the 28mm modules, minus the low-pass filter - this is to bring out the full characteristics of the lenses mounted. In the firmware 1.40, Ricoh implemented the Focus Assist option, which offers two display modes to assist manual focusing: Outlines and contrast are strengthened to assist manual focusing; and 2x, 4x, 8x magnification are available (scrolling via 4-way direction pad). These of course come in very handy for the manual M-mount module.

Further, the GXR Mount A12 allows for distortion correction - barrel and pincushion distortion ("strong", "medium", or "weak" settings). These can be save as specific lens information (lens name, focal length, and aperture) and can be written into the image's exif information.
    Last edited by Cactus jACK; 16th November 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Many of the GXR buttons are customizable, which is a good feature for the convenience of having your most frequently used features available at the just one click away. For the non-zoom modules, such as the A12 50mm, 28mm and M-module, the zoom [+] and [-] can be assigned to scroll EV compensation or ISO settings.

[AF assist] - Holding down the Menu / OK button brings on the full screen 2x, 4x or 8x zoom of the center portion. You can further navigate the zoom by using the 4-way direction dial. The other focus assist feature is the strong highlights of the plane in focus - this is a useful feature which acts as the module's "focusing confirmation" feature. The effects of this feature can be seen below, on the right-hand side of the bears face.

Last edited by Cactus jACK; 16th November 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Blog Entries

[ISO] - There is the obvious loss in the contrast as you increase the sensitivity of the sensor, but the amount of the digital noise introduced is still pretty acceptable, even at ISO1600... not forgetting that this is a APS-C sensor. Your milage may vary in the use of the ISO3200, but it is definitely not an "emergency only" setting, and looks very capable of delivering good captures in lowlight (of course, note the lower contrast)... better yet, convert it to b&w have some automatic simulated film grain.

- the model

- 1200x800 100% crop ISO200

- 1200x800 100% crop ISO400

- 1200x800 100% crop ISO800
    Last edited by Cactus jACK; 16th November 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries

- 1200x800 100% crop ISO1600

- 1200x800 100% crop ISO3200

Blog Entries

[Impressions] I only had this camera for a weekend... a weekend in which I was covering an event with my staple equipment, so I didn't really manage to test out this camera much. The expectation is that the performance of the sensor is much like the other A12 modules, as they use the same APS-C CMOS sensor, and the ISO performance does show that it is a capable performer. This module is said to have omitted the low-pass filter, which is usually introduced to reduce moire. But this omission is deliberate in wanting to allow the full characteristics of the lenses to shine through.

The M-module opens up not just the classic M, LTM and S mounts, but also FD, OM, F, etc, as adaptors from these bayonets to the M-mount are available, so the potential clientele is not limited to those with M lenses. However, focusing now not exactly down to the μm on the A12 unit, there is nothing like an aligned split prism or rangefinder to get exact focusing. That been said, here, you wouldn't have to worry about misaligned mirrors or focus-shift... what you see (magnified or otherwise) is what you get... but it might take some getting use to.

However, it did feel a little weird trying to focus with the rear LCD... to better simulate the RF or SLR experience, you would want the VF-2 as well :smilie:

I do know of ppl who have said that they sold their M9 in preference for the GXR+M module, I also know of others who have bought the GXR+M module and sold it after 1-mth, reverting back to their M bodies. Personally, I don't think that it is a replacement for a M-camera, as the experience is quite different. But the GXR Mount A12 module provides another digital (12 megapixel APS-C CMOS) alternative for your classic lenses, similar to that of the other mirrorless systems (with adaptors). Not forgetting the additional possibilities of the other A12 and P10 modules with just 1 body.

The neat features about the GXR Mount A12 over that of the other M-mount adapted systems are the contrast focus assist, the lens specific distortion correction, and the ability to write the lens characteristics into the images exif information.
    Last edited by Cactus jACK; 16th November 2011 at 01:40 PM.

I saw best denki clearing the gxr p10 kit brand new at $499.

Thought of getting it to play around with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12