Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can iPhone really take over the job of DSLR one day?

Default Re: Can iPhone really take over the job of DSLR one day?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    can iphone take out DSLR, the answer is no, reason:

1) iphone cannot talk ultra wide, dslr with lens like 10-22mm(Canon crop) or 17-40(Canon FF) can.

2) iphone cannot talk super zoom like >300mm, dslr can.

3)iphone do not have big aperture for fast lowlight speed, dslr can.

4) iphone cannot have nice bokeh, dslr can.

5) iphone cannot take raw.

the list continues...

best answer so far.

Everyone should remember that the wedding photos were taken by a "professional".
    Not your Average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    can iphone take out DSLR, the answer is no, reason:

1) iphone cannot talk ultra wide, dslr with lens like 10-22mm(Canon crop) or 17-40(Canon FF) can.

2) iphone cannot talk super zoom like >300mm, dslr can.

3)iphone do not have big aperture for fast lowlight speed, dslr can.

4) iphone cannot have nice bokeh, dslr can.

5) iphone cannot take raw.

the list continues...
    What you have listed out is as of today. How about tommorow? or 10 years down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by JJLoke View Post
    Small imaging sensor found in phone will never be able to outperform DSLR, in terms of quality.

Its simply physics limitation.

A small sensor will be very sensitive to noise issues. In electronics, there are shot-noise and contact-noise, and both are impossible to eliminate. These noise will reduce the Signal To Noise Ratio, SNR, which give rise to ur fuzzy picture in lowlight.

You can have god-like algorithms or "noise cancelling" circuit in the phones, but will still never be as good as the SNR in a proper camera.

Next u will have highlight bleeding in the small sensors. If u read up on CCD/CMOS sensor, small sensor have small charge wells (collect photons). An intense light will cause the photons to "flow over" into other charge well, thus u get a bright fuzzy cloud across the image.

And many more limitations on a small sensor.

There is this video about the photographer who used an Nokia N8 to shoot a fashion model for a magazine cover. Pls dun be fool by it or even by this thread article. Read carefully and u will always see that they use professional lighting to achieve good SNR.

Imagine previously when phone camera only started with a VGA camera. As what you mentioned, Nokia N8 currently has the best sensor around. Even bigger than some compact system.

To a certain extend, i would say a camera phone has caught up with a compact camera.

How long more will it catch up with a DSLR? i would not say it is impossible to implement the current mirrorless system it into a mobile phone if compact size is not the top priority of people. When this day comes, i would say a mobile phone pic quality will be almost there already.

Look at sony nex series. With that size, how difficult can it be integrated with a mobile phone? I think it's a matter of whether they want it or not.

Look at samsung galaxy tab. My friend has been bringing it around like a normal mobile phone. What he prefers are the functions and no longer the portability.
    Last edited by OoStarDustoO; 28th January 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OoStarDustoO View Post
    What you have listed out is as of today. How about tommorow? or 10 years down the road?
    10years down the road i think iphone still cannot achieve the wide and lele zoom capabilties, unless iphone can mount and change lens.

even yes, i think it must be very heavy on your pocket.

Another very important thing to note is iphone does not allow external memory storage, memory can run out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by macbart View Post
    My immediate answer the initial question (as soon as I saw the topic) was a big "NO!"

And my answer to this question is "Absolutely not!"

Well, I used my iPhone... took a groom's eye pic of my bride walking down the aisle to where I was (and posted it on facebook) while everyone was looking at her. But I wouldn't have been happy if the photographer we hired had also used an iPhone.
    Agree! For a paid service, the equipment used is part of the credentials. Show up with I phone and I might as well ask everyone invited to bring their camera and/or whip out their camera phone to record the event. There will surely be good shots from say a guest list of 80. Plus I get everybody's point of view. I can use the funds for the photographer for better lighting and prints.

I have heard of wedding shooter that hands out 5 to 8 cameras to the "bros" and "sis" to capture moments what may be missed by the one or two photographers.

Camera phones can very soon displace PnS cameras, but they really need to be greatly improved to have great depth of field and optical zoom.

forget it...

If the sensor is made bigger, the lens will also have to become larger. You put a FF sensor in there and an iPhone can shoot in full frame. Check out that 70-200 f2.8 on your iPhone. Oops, it just broke the lens mount.

nokia N8 takes a better photo than iphone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

because Mr Jobs thinks that his product is capable of whatever a DSLR can do (which is taking pictures), but doing so at such a crappy quality (which he doesn't mention)
    I think Mr Jobs is far smarter to know that it doesn't. But some users do not, or choose to believe not so, or even best, not so in future.

I have no idea what this catching up thing is all about. Although i do see increasing convenience n utility in mobile phone cameras, are we talking about an iPhone in 10 yrs time achieving what dslrs did 10 yrs ago are doing now? Or the iPhone camera outracing the IQ of the Dslrs side by side? If so shld dream bigger. Iphone cameras I think can take on the digital blads, aptuses, n the phases of the world.

not until it can attached a 2.8 tele lens lol.

Blog Entries

I also want a pocket digital medium format camera in my shirt pocket

but technologies in both hardware and software available are not there yet to make this happen

...... and it might not be Apple leading by then .....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I don't believe we are discussing this topic on photography forum..
    Yes of course iphone can replace DSLR and this is just start. iphone 5 will be able to wash our clothes also..
    and may be drive us to office and list goes on...
    The day will come that we will be eating iphone also.

Well..maybe in the future they will invent a dslr that can make phone calls and call it iphone XIV, then it can take over the job. So it depends on what you define "iphone of the future" as.

If is based on current specs, well I doubt it can do birding, even if it can be mounted on a 600mm lens I doubt I would love the handling given the small size and touch screen.

Well, you never know, nanotechnology is advanced these days, memory cards are increasing in space and decreasing in size. So they might squeeze a "big sensor" into a small chip.

Or invent a "bolt on" sensor onto the iphone with "bolt on" lens.

By then I might not be alive anymore...

ten years down the road iphone may not exist as it is in todays glory anymore.
    So no point to talk as if the iphone will be a permanent product in the market.

Ten years ago, I cannot imagine Nokia will lose their market share as well. Look what happen ?

based on what the iphone it is today and what it will be in next 1-2 years time, hence it is pretty obvious the answer is no.

Apple philosophy lies in making technology part of everyday life. To promote and sell a lifestyle in which their products integrate seamlessly together.

Imac , Macbook pro, ipad, iphone, mobileme , apple tv , airport

Photography, video, multimedia, data and information are the blood stream of their products.
    Until Mr Steve figure out a way to integrate the same philosophy into a camera, I dont think they will launch a full fledge serious camera product.
    Alpha and Omega

I'm pretty sure the Apple fanboys will be convinced that the iPhone is the best camera in the world once Apple starts making names for existing tech, like iStabilisation, iFocus, iED, iZoom, iAspherical, iSensor, and more crap.

Not just iPhone, i do hope that camera phones can at least get quality close to those micro 4/3s. Maybe with smaller interchangeable lenses .
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Blog Entries

there wiill be many many many MANY rounds of evolutions by way of technological advances before that day will come ....

.....and there also needs to be the WILL to get to that end (who knows ? by then the world might decide to go 'texas' instead of 'mini' somewhere along the line with cameras incorporating more telephony functions?)

once the iPad gets full telephony abilities.... then what ?

An educated opinion will be that the koreans will be leading the way on this front over the next 20 years just MHO

moved to Kopitiam .... this is more TCSS than a technical discussion
    Last edited by ed9119; 29th January 2011 at 04:02 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

No! It is impossible. It is too compact for an IPhone to incorporate the full features of a true DSLR. If it does one day, we will not leave to tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by yishunlim View Post
    No! It is impossible. It is too compact for an IPhone to incorporate the full features of a true DSLR. If it does one day, we will not leave to tell the story.
    When it does, DSLRs would already be shooting so much better images anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast