Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 491213141516192439 ... LastLast

Thread: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Thread XVI

Default Re: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Thread XVI

my boss asked me what the difference is between a Wireless Router and a Wireless Access Point, and suddenly I was at a loss to explain.

In a typical home setup with an ADSL/cable modem, a wireless router/access point, a desktop PC with physical LAN cable connection, and some wireless devices (eg, notebook, netbook, iPhone), what differences would there be?

From searching online, it seems that the main difference is that a wireless router is a wired router + a wireless access point? In that case I would assume that the router has the additional 4 x RJ-45 ports and has the ability to be 'traffic cop' for all the traffic on the network?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    my boss asked me what the difference is between a Wireless Router and a Wireless Access Point, and suddenly I was at a loss to explain.

In a typical home setup with an ADSL/cable modem, a wireless router/access point, a desktop PC with physical LAN cable connection, and some wireless devices (eg, notebook, netbook, iPhone), what differences would there be?

From searching online, it seems that the main difference is that a wireless router is a wired router + a wireless access point? In that case I would assume that the router has the additional 4 x RJ-45 ports and has the ability to be 'traffic cop' for all the traffic on the network?
    Router means it routes traffic, meaning it will take one internet connection and route traffic from several computers to and fro that one connection to the web. It usually also means it is the one that runs the DHCP server (and assigns the IP addresses if on demand).

Access point, is only that. That it only has one IP address and it acts as a "dummy" just a gateway for wireless clients to connect to the network by. It will not route traffic, and there needs to be another router in the network to do the job. So, the internet connection needs to go the router, the access point needs to be connected to the router. Access point is used for networks which already have a router running.

Hope this helps bro.

Blog Entries

Don't break the straps...! kekekeke
    I am thinking of using climbing straps, with more than 1 ton weight rating. Will be very hard for me to break the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Router means it routes traffic, meaning it will take one internet connection and route traffic from several computers to and fro that one connection to the web. It usually also means it is the one that runs the DHCP server (and assigns the IP addresses if on demand).

Access point, is only that. That it only has one IP address and it acts as a "dummy" just a gateway for wireless clients to connect to the network by. It will not route traffic, and there needs to be another router in the network to do the job. So, the internet connection needs to go the router, the access point needs to be connected to the router. Access point is used for networks which already have a router running.

Hope this helps bro.
    Thanks...!
    That was the general idea I had in my head, but was searching through the net for something to affirm it

I've so far only seen wireless access points being connected to one of those big 32-port routers.

Basically, for home use just forget about the wireless access point if there is internet connection sharing going on, right?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I am thinking of using climbing straps, with more than 1 ton weight rating. Will be very hard for me to break the straps.
    hehehehhee.... LOL. yes bro. 1 ton is.... a safe limit

What's the advantage of wireless modem/router (all in 1) versus separated wireless modem and router har?

One saves space... the other saves the hassle of preplacing both with either function breaks?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    What's the advantage of wireless modem/router (all in 1) versus separated wireless modem and router har?

One saves space... the other saves the hassle of preplacing both with either function breaks?
    erm...

I had a wireless accesspoint once... but that was because I already had a good router back then, and I need to locate my access point somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Thanks...!
    That was the general idea I had in my head, but was searching through the net for something to affirm it

I've so far only seen wireless access points being connected to one of those big 32-port routers.

Basically, for home use just forget about the wireless access point if there is internet connection sharing going on, right?
    Bro, usually those large panels with many ports, are either switches or patch panels. Not routers.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Bro, usually those large panels with many ports, are either switches or patch panels. Not routers.
    Ooops! Ya. Switch. That's right. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    Thanks...!

Bro, switch or router?

For my house, I'm using a Router. But I have another router which can be used as an access point as well
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten

I prefer them to be separate. Might just be me. But if one breaks down, at least I dun have to replace the whole setup. Disadvantage to me, is tt more electricity is consumed.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles88 View Post
    I prefer them to be separate. Might just be me. But if one breaks down, at least I dun have to replace the whole setup. Disadvantage to me, is tt more electricity is consumed.
    The thing I kept asking myself these days is that do they really break down that easily? Of course it's good to be safe than sorry...

But the 2 in 1s aren't much more ex than a dedicated piece each (or am I wrong...)? Dunno...just pondering...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten

The thing I kept asking myself these days is that do they really break down that easily? Of course it's good to be safe than sorry...

But the 2 in 1s aren't much more ex than a dedicated piece each (or am I wrong...)? Dunno...just pondering...
    Agreed. The modem routers aren't that expensive. Waiting for my linksys router to break down, then will get that

Agreed. The modem routers aren't that expensive. Waiting for my linksys router to break down, then will get that
    I doubt they will break down that easily... might as well get it when the time is right - the need to upgrade the flow of traffic, or too old already that you see it no up...

those with whatsapp installed on their iPhones/BBs, can update to latest version (v2.6.2 I think) which includes group chat up to 5ppl...

Anyone's poison?

AF-S VR 16-35 f/4

yummy... but price not REALLY that attractive, eh?

add in:

Voigtlander 90 macro ? Not sure about this fella's reproduction ratio...
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 14th February 2011 at 11:39 AM.

price of this Tokina 11-16/2.8 is tempting @ $800, but seller's post history a bit 'scary'... maybe a dealer?

Frankly, at the moment I do not see the need to look at FF UWAs (yet)... the costs are simply prohibitive... After a long serious thought, my DX UWA serves me just fine. It's for my leisure shoots, afterall. I'm keeping my D90+UWA as one set. FF + zoom as another set...

price of this Tokina 11-16/2.8 is tempting @ $800, but seller's post history a bit 'scary'... maybe a dealer?
    Does it really matter if the price looks attractive and the product in pristine condition? Edit: In other words.... MTL!!!!!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 14th February 2011 at 12:20 PM.

Anyone's poison?

AF-S VR 16-35 f/4

yummy... but price not REALLY that attractive, eh?

add in:

Voigtlander 90 macro ? Not sure about this fella's reproduction ratio...
    Gotta chicken and the egg question for ya.... You're going to hoot the 16-35mm first or the DX00x? Unless you wanna hoot both at the same time...

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 491213141516192439 ... LastLast