Originally posted by zapp!
I use f8 and above usually if i take landscape shots...if it is like very sunny, then i will use f11 or f16...

What i meant in the beginning of averaging is by metering the brightest and dimmest spots, you will get a rough guide as to how much exposure is required...

Put it this way, for example, if you meter off the sky and it gives a reading of 1/500, f8 and the dimmest will give a 1/125, f8, then maybe you would want to use a setting of 1/250, f8...this will ensure some sky details will be kept without overexposing and also at the same time the dimmer parts of the scene will be properly exposed....

As to how much you want to compensate is up to you...if the sky is not your main aim, then perhaps overexposing is a better choice as you would be able to capture the darker portions of the scene...and of course, vice versa...

I hope i said this rite...
AAhhh........sounds easier to do that to decide how much to compensate for exposure. Must do a test where I take a shot doing this averaging thing and then by compensating at various stops and see how. Haven't got time yet but will et u guys know my results.......thanks for all the very useful input. Hopefully my next outdoor shots will all be properly exposed.