Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In a dilemma . . tripod or flash first ?

Default Re: In a dilemma . . tripod or flash first ?

thank you all for your advices . . . i changed my mind on getting the 85mm, just got my first 50mm prime lens and nissin di622 flash yesterday (flash a bit ex as i feel bought for 245 ) tripods i will look into the fancier model recommended earlier on. may I know where can I view those ?

Quote Originally Posted by nichz82 View Post
    thank you all for your advices . . . i changed my mind on getting the 85mm, just got my first 50mm prime lens and nissin di622 flash yesterday (flash a bit ex as i feel bought for 245 ) tripods i will look into the fancier model recommended earlier on. may I know where can I view those ?
    Your Di-622 price seems ok, judging from this thread
    [http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670606]

My personal recommendation is to avoid the Fancier tripods, if you intend to use them regularly. I would go for Benro or Sirui at least. More expensive, but from the looks of it more reliable and better made.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nichz82
    You paid $245 for the mark 1 or mark 2? And for the fancier, you can view at sgcamerastore at excelsior hotel in cityhall

I think my nissin is mark 1 . . i'm aware it's a bit over priced . . but well . . this is the first time i got my flash and read through some of the threads it's about that price, so didn't think much. now got lots more to learn, with the flash and new prime lens. yesterday i did some night shoots with the new lens, on the camera it appears to be sharp (i know u cannot depend on the miserable camera screen) but a lot appeared to be very blur when i put it up with on my computer. is it my focus problem or camera shake ? cracking my brains now . .

I think my nissin is mark 1 . . i'm aware it's a bit over priced . . but well . . this is the first time i got my flash and read through some of the threads it's about that price, so didn't think much. now got lots more to learn, with the flash and new prime lens. yesterday i did some night shoots with the new lens, on the camera it appears to be sharp (i know u cannot depend on the miserable camera screen) but a lot appeared to be very blur when i put it up with on my computer. is it my focus problem or camera shake ? cracking my brains now . .
    You could post some of the photos. Blur can result from various problems: focus, camera shake, subject movement etc. We will not know what kind of blur it is if we don't have pictures to look at

Maybe you would like to post your picture here so we could advise if it's handshake/focus ? And pls provide the settings which you used for that picture as well.
    Licence to shoot.

yeah... no photo no talk!

otherwise too much guesswork going on
    Exploring! :)

Last edited by nichz82; 27th January 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Just easier viewing for viewers.....

Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

IMO....I think is handshake causing the blur....

Just a guess if it's handshake...Are you taking the #2 in low light + Aperture Mode? Aperture mode at night normally will have a slower shutter speed.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

oops . . how do u post the pics directly w/o having people to click on the links ?

Yes the pics are all using aperture mode. low light . .

P.S : All pics are not taken with the new flash as I don't know how to use. Doing some read up now on light bouncing, seems very complicated . .

Can't find the post showing you how to post images.....

Anyway, you need to get the image link correct first
    For Flickr
    1) Right click on the image
    2) Select "View All Sizes" (choose the size you want to let pple see)
    3) you will be at another page

Firefox
    - Right click on image, Select "Copy Image Location"

IE
    - Right Click, Properies, Copy the image url

Then to show the image in the post, Click on the "Insert Image" icon. Then paste in the link you have copied.

Test

Can see ?
    Last edited by nichz82; 27th January 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Yes the pics are all using aperture mode. low light . .

P.S : All pics are not taken with the new flash as I don't know how to use. Doing some read up now on light bouncing, seems very complicated . .
    Hi, I did the same mistake on an recent small group dinner event (regretted it). For low light shooting, Flash is very important and also the mode you choose to shoot in.

IMO, Aperture Priority (AV) will have slower shutter speed and for my untrained hands, confirm cannot hold the camera steadily.

I would say, probably best to shoot in Shutter Priority (TV) with flash (this does not apply to shooting landscape, Nightscape = Tripod). May need diffuser to prevent "dreaded deer in headlights" effect (I'm still learning how to shoot with flash properly..)
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 27th January 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Yea, flash i'm still very new like less than a day lol ! if shooting in tv mode, i'll lose the brightness of the pic . . with flash . . have not tried yet. still can't figure how to use light bouncing.

For the dinner one, it's probably camera shake since your shutter speed was 1/5s. For the Fullerton Hotel one, you were using too large an aperture (f1.8) and hence parts of the photo are out of focus.

Yea, flash i'm still very new like less than a day lol ! if shooting in tv mode, i'll lose the brightness of the pic . . with flash . . have not tried yet. still can't figure how to use light bouncing.
    You will lose brightness if the shutter is too fast and you did not on flash in such environment. I'm not sure if a direct flash at subject with diffuser will help or not. (Not very experienced in Flash Photography).

For Light bouncing, I THINK it depends on the environment (as in the walls/objects that will help to "bounce" light) e.g. Low Ceiling with your flash shooting at it will create some kind of environmental light making the photo more natural? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    For the dinner one, it's probably camera shake since your shutter speed was 1/5s. For the Fullerton Hotel one, you were using too large an aperture (f1.8) and hence parts of the photo are out of focus.
    Sorry for a noob question. How do you check the settings used for a particular image?

so usually which shooting a larger area we need to adjust the aperture to a smaller one so we can capture the whole image clearly ? and the challenge is when i look through the viewfinder when shooting at very low light it's hard to judge whether it's clear or not. if i were to use flash, the nissin one came with a white piece of plastic with the difuser is that for light bouncing ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast