Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Bounced cheaque

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Actually it be better if you make a trip down to CCID (Commercial Crime Investigation Dep) - let them deal with the buyer... one call from them, is better then your numerous calls.

  2. #22
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,904
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    sorry to hear this man, and sorry to say but that is totally Gullible...... i assume he sold the car himself to another individual ?

    Whenever I sell my car every few years to change to a different car, the transaction is usually done via Cashier's Order ..... I only accept cashier order and transact usually at LTA at Sin Min during the actual transaction and I always give a cashier's order when taking over ownership of the car I bought ...... this applies to 2nd hand cars ....

    With established 2nd hand car dealers, all this is taken care of for you and cash settled very nicely......... but of course you get less for your car that you're selling

    p/s Dont waste time, I suggest that he go to police station and make a police report.......... this is classified as Fraud (aka Cheating) , a crime ..... it is NOT A private CIVIL CASE .
    Last edited by ed9119; 27th January 2011 at 10:35 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #23

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Previously my dad just trade in with car dealers as what you mentioned. This time round he is selling off for good as he retire from work and also at the same time cut down his expenses.

    Yes, careless over our part and treat this is a important lesson learn and will bear in mind to only accept cashier order in future. Just regret that i did not go and visit them more often.

    I will wait till Monday to see if the transaction goes through, if not i will immediately make a police report against him as i feel he has every intention to cheat. He clearly knows his bank account has insufficient funds should it bounce again.


    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    sorry to hear this man, and sorry to say but that is totally Gullible...... i assume he sold the car himself to another individual ?

    Whenever I sell my car every few years to change to a different car, the transaction is usually done via Cashier's Order ..... I only accept cashier order and transact usually at LTA at Sin Min during the actual transaction and I always give a cashier's order when taking over ownership of the car I bought ...... this applies to 2nd hand cars ....

    With established 2nd hand car dealers, all this is taken care of for you and cash settled very nicely......... but of course you get less for your car that you're selling

    p/s Dont waste time, I suggest that he go to police station and make a police report.......... this is classified as Fraud (aka Cheating) , a crime ..... it is NOT A private CIVIL CASE .

  4. #24
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,904
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    i think for about $20-50 you can bring the cheque to the issuing bank and have it 'MARKED' ..... that is, lock up the amount in the issuer's account to MAKE SURE that it does not bounce

    saves you a day of waiting for it to clear
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #25

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Ah!! Crap.. Did not know about this, can only Blame myself for being ignorant.

    I dropped the cheaque in after i knock off from work as it passed the 3:30 pm cut off timing for clearing of check yesterday. All i can do now is pray hard~~ Hai...

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    i think for about $20-50 you can bring the cheque to the issuing bank and have it 'MARKED' ..... that is, lock up the amount in the issuer's account to MAKE SURE that it does not bounce

    saves you a day of waiting for it to clear

  6. #26

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Hi Bro,

    Sorry to hear of your plight. Hope you get your money back.

    Fyi, if you deposit the chq yesterday after clearing time, then the chq should clear tomorrow, Friday after 2PM not Monday.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Oh ya, lose track of time. Haha~~

    Thanks!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth0la View Post
    Hi Bro,

    Sorry to hear of your plight. Hope you get your money back.

    Fyi, if you deposit the chq yesterday after clearing time, then the chq should clear tomorrow, Friday after 2PM not Monday.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    If i were you, i have already make police report....

    Hope you get back your money.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post

    I dropped the cheaque in after i knock off from work as it passed the 3:30 pm cut off timing for clearing of check yesterday. All i can do now is pray hard~~ Hai...
    I hope the cheque goes through this time. Please keep up updated. I am interested in the outcome.

    Best of luck!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    What's the exact reason stated on the return image copy of the cheque? Was it "Refer to drawer"? And did he asked you to return this image copy? If not, the cheque can still be represented and you get double the amount...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    good luck!
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    All guys,

    Have been busy with CNY and work, thus the late update. The cheaque has been cleared after the second attempt.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    For your information, issuing cheques that bounce due to insufficient funds, or any technical mistakes, such as figures and dates don't Telly, or wrong dates, etc... Will not land the issuers any trouble and is NOT a illegal or criminal offense.

    It is only an offense if the account was closed, or if it is someone else cheques.

    I would be very careful taking advice from forums where people give their own personal opinion which may or may not be accurate or is only half correct.
    If a person issues you a cheque and it bounced because he made a mistake in writing it or has insufficient funds but he then quickly sends you a replacement, then there is no big deal except that he will have to pay the bank a small fee for that returned cheque.
    If however he is seen to have been deliberately trying to delay payment, then it can be serious, especially dealing with the transfer of car ownership.
    If the issuer of the bounced cheque is the car dealer, you will probably have a greater chance of getting back your money if he is still in business. . if you act fast!
    Without your taking 'solid' action immediately, I GUESS, I am only GUESSING here, the car dealer is just buying time and rolling his money. It is again, the weak, the less rich, the less educated, who are being manipulated, taking advantage of and/or cheated.
    You can get a lawyer to issue him a legal letter and I am pretty sure you will get your money very very quickly BUT you will lose some money for the cost of getting a lawyer to send that letter of demand . . not much but it is money.
    Sitting around on your palms and hoping and praying, will not be much help.
    Here, without knowing the full facts of the case nor the amount involved, I will do the following:
    Make a police report
    Write him a letter of demand giving him 3 working days to deliver the money, enclose that police report and warn that you will sue for the payment plus cost.
    Do not throw away evidence of that bounced cheque because it shows that there is INDEED a debt owing to you. He cant later deny that he does not owe you.
    If he is a sensible person, he will respond immediately.
    After 3 days, find a lawyer . . shop around, ask for fee quotes and remind the lawyer that the amount is small and you want to limit your loss . . a good lawyer will get what you mean.

    Finally, to everyone dealing with a large amount of money like selling your car to a private party, always insist on a Cashier's Order! After all, when you go to LTA to bid for a car registration number, for example, personal cheques are not acceptable, only Cashier's Order. There is a reason for that, right?

  14. #34

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
    All guys,

    Have been busy with CNY and work, thus the late update. The cheaque has been cleared after the second attempt.
    Happy to hear that. All's well that ends well but it sure gave you some stressful moments.
    In future, ask for Cashier's Order!

  15. #35

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Came across this tread, glad it went through. I also had 2 cases of bounced cheques and got IRD from the bank. Quite stressful, once I was hunting the wedding couple for nearly 5 months, same case...just got the cheque before CNY so the banks were closed.

    11k is not a big amount, even with $50 notes, might as well do it with cash.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Bounced cheaque

    Hi All,

    Thanks again for your avices, be it accurate or not. I sincerly believe you all are trying to help.

    Yes, its very stressful and the person take advantage of my dad's perhaps öld age and his ignorance. Lucky i was informed a a couple of weeks later and do whatever i can to get his money back.

    A couple of days back i read from the news that a potential buyer paid $5k deposit for a flat more than a year ago and because the seller are divorcing, the wife doesnt want to sign the sales agreement and recently HDB took over possesion of the falt because of outstanding payment. I was like, WTH!!! His $5K is like gone??

    So lesson learnt, make sure things are all in order before signing the doc!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •