Thread: still life street ****, (long time ago shot)

Default still life street ****, (long time ago shot)

the hague by jazzcool, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I'd like to get some ideas how to improve composition.
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    interest in the overall picture.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    outdoors (street @ Hague), daylight
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like to colors, think there's too much of the top brick wall in the frame but what to do, limited by the camera. Could have walked closer to get a different emphasis on the bike, what do u think? I did not do any post processing of this.

Default Re: still life street ****, (long time ago shot)

this photo has nice details and texture. Probably you might want to increase contrast and vibrancy a little bit for the colour to stand out and be more lively. Composition wise, a straight head on approach maybe better than this angled shot of the wall.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

To add on to CT, i think a frontal shot and using rule of third to place the bicycle on the intersection of the right third and bottom third gridlines will be alright.

Thanks for your comments.
    I agree about the colors- the bicycle looks a bit washed out. Maybe pp with PS would help me here.

As for a frontal shot composition, I wanted to capture as much wall as possible. And can you see the groove in the wall? I think in a frontal shot this dimension would be lost making the viewer confused. But I don't know for sure, need to give it another try - once I'll be there again (if ever)

if you are back into a wall or something like that, probably a uwa lens or stitching may help to capture as much of the image as you want. I have no idea how the light might reach the reach in different part of the day but this may be used to add shadows to the edge of the wall to highlight its indentation.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif