Thread: Fuji Finepix HS10

Default Fuji Finepix HS10

hello.. as a newbie, i want to start with a decent point and shoot camera with megazoom lens.. i'm thinking of buying a fuji finepix hs10 or the powershot sx30is. i called bally photo and quoted me S$535 (or S$585 i can't remember ) for the hs10.. if i go for the hs10, i'm quite hesitant to buy from this shop due to a quite number of bad comments i read.. for the sx30is, any idea about the price? i prefer the camera with a better quality image.. any suggestions pls? thanks..

Default Re: Fuji Finepix HS10

Quote Originally Posted by lupindaterd View Post
    hello.. as a newbie, i want to start with a decent point and shoot camera with megazoom lens.. i'm thinking of buying a fuji finepix hs10 or the powershot sx30is. i called bally photo and quoted me S$535 (or S$585 i can't remember ) for the hs10.. if i go for the hs10, i'm quite hesitant to buy from this shop due to a quite number of bad comments i read.. for the sx30is, any idea about the price? i prefer the camera with a better quality image.. any suggestions pls? thanks..
    S$585 is much cheaper than what I paid for my HS10. And don't worry about getting conned: because a superzoom camera like the HS10 does not have replaceable lenses or 'kit lens', it is VERY unlikely that you will get any surprises once you open the box.

That being said, I am a HS10 user myself, and i think it's a rather decent camera for a newbie/enthusiast/prosumer, if i say so myself. Still, you might want to take note of the following quirks the camera tends to exhibit:

- at the widest angle (28mm), vignetting is painfully obvious, but it only shows itself when you are shooting against a pure white background and positioning your lens 10cm away from the subject at Macro mode. soft spots are present at the corner, but this issue happens very randomly, and not often at all.

- no hotshoe cap (you stingy Fujifilm, you)

- images can be either over-sharpened or under-sharperned, depending on your luck with the camera. For myself, i found that setting the HS10 to normal sharpness produced images that were a tad too sharp for my liking, while other users from around the world claim that the only way to get usable images was to set the camera sharpness all the way to 'HARD'. Like i said, luck of the draw.

- image quality is fine as long as you don't intend to print large images at 100% crop. At 100% crop, the IQ looks a little pixelated.

- a bit of learning curve on navigating the menus.

- autofocus is a little slow in low-light conditions, but that is to be expected from bridge superzoom cameras,

- and last but not least, why get the HS10 when Fujifilm has already released the HS20EXR? It's essentially the same as the HS10, but with EXR technology for better low light performance and a spec bump from 10mp to 16 megapickels IIRC, along with TTL metering and a more powerful processor for faster burst modes.

One last thing: the HS10 and SX30IS are not point-and-shoot cameras. They are every bit like DSLRs in that they offer users a huge degree of manual control over the camera, but with the convenience of a single megazoom lens as opposed to having to change lenses. Lastly, don't expect their image quality to come close to DSLR standards. Granted, they take exceptional photos when used by skilled hands, but a DSLR will still win them hands down.
    Last edited by Etna-sama; 25th January 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: Fuji Finepix HS10

yes, i knew about the HS20EXR but it will only be available sometime this coming March .. as i will be traveling to europe next month, i want a "better" camera than the one i have now which i bought 3 yrs ago

thanks for your inputs!