Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86

Thread: how do i start out?

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Thanks again for the valuable advises...really appreciated.

    So how did you manage your finance during those days when you have a family to feed, your monthly expenses and at the same time expand your business/equipments? $100+ to $200+ can be a nice starting rate during those days as things are still affordable but as for today the price hike is killing many people.
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  2. #62

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Thanks again for the valuable advises...really appreciated.

    So how did you manage your finance during those days when you have a family to feed, your monthly expenses and at the same time expand your business/equipments? $100+ to $200+ can be a nice starting rate during those days as things are still affordable but as for today the price hike is killing many people.
    My clients will pay my service in advance, hence I will already get paid and use those money as my finance... remember limitation and work around solution.

    I work really hard though... some months, I could rack about 17 hours a day for a 3-4 month straight... so it was tiring.

    I raise my pricing not because I want to make more money, but to drop the number of shoots every month so I don't burn myself out and feel uninspired from overwork and it is for my client sake, I prefer to create something special for them hence, can't do when I am overwork.

    So, I tend to pace myself a little so I can achieve balance between family and work. I would average about 20 full days work a month. My full day is about 8-10 hours a day. Of course, that is me officially working, but I work on my business aspect almost every second of my waking hours.

    My business model based on boutique style which aim for personalised service and not mass market solution. This is not the best model to be in if you are aiming simply for the money...

    Eh... I think we digress a little too far already.... I hope TS don't mind.

    Maybe I should create a sharing session in my studio monthly to have a chat with those who is interested. PM me if you are interested.

    Regards,

    Hart

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    My clients will pay my service in advance, hence I will already get paid and use those money as my finance... remember limitation and work around solution.

    I work really hard though... some months, I could rack about 17 hours a day for a 3-4 month straight... so it was tiring.

    I raise my pricing not because I want to make more money, but to drop the number of shoots every month so I don't burn myself out and feel uninspired from overwork and it is for my client sake, I prefer to create something special for them hence, can't do when I am overwork.

    So, I tend to pace myself a little so I can achieve balance between family and work. I would average about 20 full days work a month. My full day is about 8-10 hours a day. Of course, that is me officially working, but I work on my business aspect almost every second of my waking hours.

    My business model based on boutique style which aim for personalised service and not mass market solution. This is not the best model to be in if you are aiming simply for the money...

    Eh... I think we digress a little too far already.... I hope TS don't mind.

    Maybe I should create a sharing session in my studio monthly to have a chat with those who is interested. PM me if you are interested.

    Regards,

    Hart
    Oops....I have hijacked this thread? Sorry....I thought everyone is discussing about "Starting up" so I joined in.

    Hart > I have PMed you. Thanks for sharing....
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  4. #64

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Agetan,

    I'm impressed at your unselfish sharing and your openness about your not-so-great times.

    I don't think it's digression at all. What you've shared are all very relevant to someone who is thinking of starting out.

    I really appreciate all your sharing. I want to thank you for what you've done just by sharing.

    Most people would think that you need to be fully equipped with all the technical knowledge before you start out, but you dispel the myth.

    You've given others courage (whether or not they step out to do the actual thing is another matter) and belief that it is possible to start out with a passion just through your sharing.

    You live by your dream and that's truly an inspiration! It's refreshing to read your story. I hope you continue to share. There's just too few professionals who are willing to share. I am not sure why but photography seems to me a very old-fashionedly selfish industry. They always say women are narrow-minded and small-hearted, but photography sure topples these 'theories'. haha ... I hope I don't get bombarded just becos I said this.

  5. #65

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
    Agetan,

    I'm impressed at your unselfish sharing and your openness about your not-so-great times.

    I don't think it's digression at all. What you've shared are all very relevant to someone who is thinking of starting out.

    I really appreciate all your sharing. I want to thank you for what you've done just by sharing.

    Most people would think that you need to be fully equipped with all the technical knowledge before you start out, but you dispel the myth.

    You've given others courage (whether or not they step out to do the actual thing is another matter) and belief that it is possible to start out with a passion just through your sharing.

    You live by your dream and that's truly an inspiration! It's refreshing to read your story. I hope you continue to share. There's just too few professionals who are willing to share. I am not sure why but photography seems to me a very old-fashionedly selfish industry. They always say women are narrow-minded and small-hearted, but photography sure topples these 'theories'. haha ... I hope I don't get bombarded just becos I said this.
    Thanks and glad that you find it useful.

    Many others didn't share their view not because they are selfish. People have different reason for doing and not doing something but please don't think the well established Photographers are not willing to share. They may be busy with their work so please mind what you say. I generally don't appreciate negativity.

    Take care and please spare a thought for others...

    Regards,

    Hart

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    So....can I ask more?
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  7. #67

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Thanks and glad that you find it useful.

    Many others didn't share their view not because they are selfish. People have different reason for doing and not doing something but please don't think the well established Photographers are not willing to share. They may be busy with their work so please mind what you say. I generally don't appreciate negativity.

    Take care and please spare a thought for others...

    Regards,

    Hart
    U are the BEST... I tin I need to pay u a visit... I also wish to start out...hehe

    When free Lim Kopi??

  8. #68

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    @sumobear - Please shoot if u have any relevant questions.

    @LX3chua, I am not the best lar... Just got spare time on hand so can Share some info. Sure anytime u are free lor... There are lots of other that have valuable insight then me.

    Hart

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    @sumobear - Please shoot if u have any relevant questions.

    @LX3chua, I am not the best lar... Just got spare time on hand so can Share some info. Sure anytime u are free lor... There are lots of other that have valuable insight then me.

    Hart
    Er...I am not shooting lah...just asking and seeking for advises :P Haha...

    So do you have any experience when you first started taking photos of children as a service? Like doing the art direction? I am sure children are not easy clients....

    What do you think of the market competition right now? Everyone is posting their services online and cutting the rates. Some can even do it for free to get shots into their portfolio. Is the photographer who charges cheap at risk or the competitors at risk?
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  10. #70

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Er...I am not shooting lah...just asking and seeking for advises :P Haha...

    So do you have any experience when you first started taking photos of children as a service? Like doing the art direction? I am sure children are not easy clients....

    What do you think of the market competition right now? Everyone is posting their services online and cutting the rates. Some can even do it for free to get shots into their portfolio. Is the photographer who charges cheap at risk or the competitors at risk?
    No I don't have much experience with children photography. Well, you fake it till u have it... Sometimes you might have to do that when you start. As long as you can show confident and have good images, then you probably ok.

    @competition: I did mention abt never stay still... U change and change and hopefully your peer don't catch up with you. It's a healthy competition to push you get better. Some choose to lower the price and some choose to increase their value. The choice is yours.

    Hart

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    No I don't have much experience with children photography. Well, you fake it till u have it... Sometimes you might have to do that when you start. As long as you can show confident and have good images, then you probably ok.

    @competition: I did mention abt never stay still... U change and change and hopefully your peer don't catch up with you. It's a healthy competition to push you get better. Some choose to lower the price and some choose to increase their value. The choice is yours.

    Hart
    Thanks Hart!
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  12. #72

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    I tend to shoot in 1 location only per session. I take taxi or bus or mrt when I first started until I save enough for a mini van. I may borrow my dad's car very occassionally when he don't need it. I could pay up to $1500 in transport fees a month so buying my own mini van solves the issue.

    Normally, there won't be any changes to the location. If I do pre-wedding, my clients will take me in the car. Same apply to wedding shoot. I will just go to 1 location and drive around by one of the bridal party car. Of course recently, I have been driving my van doing shoots but only 1 location per shoot.

    The thing is, know your limitation and work around it and most importantly charge for it.

    Regards,

    Hart
    saw your van at a basement carpark in paya lebar for consecutively a few days.. tere for shoot?

  13. #73

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post

    @LX3chua, I am not the best lar... Just got spare time on hand so can Share some info. Sure anytime u are free lor... There are lots of other that have valuable insight then me.

    Hart
    True but not all ppl wanted to share like u do...

    Beside I am Ah Chua> excel-glsi

  14. #74
    Member Radiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan
    @sumobear - Please shoot if u have any relevant questions.

    @LX3chua, I am not the best lar... Just got spare time on hand so can Share some info. Sure anytime u are free lor... There are lots of other that have valuable insight then me.

    Hart
    Ermmmm.....sorry to sidetrack a bit........Agetan, do you conduct lessons on Child Photography........I would love to learn
    Will also equip me with knowledge if I ever want to start out
    Canon User

  15. #75

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    saw your van at a basement carpark in paya lebar for consecutively a few days.. tere for shoot?
    I don't remember going to basement carpark in pay lebar, it could be my wife doing grocery shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lx3ChuA View Post
    True but not all ppl wanted to share like u do...

    Beside I am Ah Chua> excel-glsi
    I know you are soap drinker...
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    Ermmmm.....sorry to sidetrack a bit........Agetan, do you conduct lessons on Child Photography........I would love to learn
    Will also equip me with knowledge if I ever want to start out
    Yes, I do private 1 on 1 lesson on anything you would like to learn within my knowledge. PM me for more info.

    Regards,

    Hart

  16. #76

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    One last thing that I forget....

    How desperate are you to make your business work? I mean really....

    The problem that I can see here in Singapore is most people are quite "comfortable" especially those doing photography and able to afford the gear.... (I may get flame on this, but hey... I am stating the obvious).

    There is no real motivation for to get it "work".


    I guess the real reason why I made my work, I was desperate... I know everyday, my children is growing up and more money is needed to put them to school, etc...

    I don't believe if one give it all and understand the way to market themselves right while having an unique product would fail.

    Regards,

    Hart
    I think hardwork also need to come with some luck isn't it? Even if you are out offering free photos sessions, not everyone will hire you eventually.

  17. #77

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by photocrazykia View Post
    I think hardwork also need to come with some luck isn't it? Even if you are out offering free photos sessions, not everyone will hire you eventually.
    Well, it will depend on how unique is your work and if you have make enough research to identify your market.

    People anyhow go and offer free shoot without knowing if those portfolio is something is needed to put them on the next level or simply being exploited for their work.

    Everything in business require research and don't expect to be spoon-fed for information that you can simply find out with an email or phone call. I refer to your post about "how to get your name out there". If you need to know certain thing like sgbride or wpja or things like that, how difficult to just send them an email to find out?

    I believe the info posted on this thread gives many who is thinking of starting out some food of thought and I say many many times, you need to actually do something to make things happen and if one thing don't work then something need to be done to make it right.

    If you don't know your target market, how can one formulate the marketing strategies? Without the right marketing strategies how to make sure people even know about you?

    People always wanted to get more work, but what have they done other then praying they get job?

    Business depending on luck alone is pretty scary, the harder you work, the luckier you get to be honest.

    Regards,

    Hart

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Hi Hart...

    I believe anyone can be a photographer since cameras and workshops are cheap and easily available nowadays but may I know what is the criteria to be a Children Photographer? I have answered questions like "Do I love children?...Do I love to play?...Am I technically ready?..."
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

  19. #79

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Hi Hart...

    I believe anyone can be a photographer since cameras and workshops are cheap and easily available nowadays but may I know what is the criteria to be a Children Photographer? I have answered questions like "Do I love children?...Do I love to play?...Am I technically ready?..."
    Those are the right question to ask... Have you found the answer? But most importantly why would you like to be a children photographer?

    One thing for certain for children photography is, be prepared to work with challenges that every children is different and none of them will follow instruction. If fame is something that you are looking for, you won't find it at this genre.

    If you are good, come and talk to me... By show me the portfolio... And hey, I may expand my Bambini's team.

    Regards,

    Hart

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: how do i start out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Those are the right question to ask... Have you found the answer? But most importantly why would you like to be a children photographer?

    One thing for certain for children photography is, be prepared to work with challenges that every children is different and none of them will follow instruction. If fame is something that you are looking for, you won't find it at this genre.

    If you are good, come and talk to me... By show me the portfolio... And hey, I may expand my Bambini's team.

    Regards,

    Hart

    I know what you mean and that is what I love about children....No rules and just be happy!!! I wish kids can stay as kids forever....be in the Neverland!

    Am I getting emo? Haha...
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •