Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    15

    Default Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Hello..
    I am very new here.
    Any of you know/use Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85 and the image quality?
    For landscape photo, not for portrait. In fact I don't need the smaller F number of Tamron but the price is cheaper than CANON EF-S 15-85 but I am not sure its image quality.
    I am using Canon EOS-450D.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Cheers

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    There are dozens of reviews online. Go to photozone.de and start reading.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    There are dozens of reviews online. Go to photozone.de and start reading.
    thanks for your sincere suggestion but I want users' inputs. Hope you understand.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrymm View Post
    thanks for your sincere suggestion but I want users' inputs. Hope you understand.
    What user input do you want? Something like "Hey, takes great pictures" and stuffs? Review sites are there to make a neutral assessment of the lens, using standard techniques and measurements. Only this will give reliable and comparable results which allows cross-comparison with other lenses.
    Just read what Tom, Dick and Harry write about focus system of the Tamron (hint: use 'Tamron' in the Search function). Great variety ranging from "Whoa, so noisy 'lah!" up to "Usual Focus motor noise" and even stuffs like "slow focusing speed". Happy reading.
    EOS

  5. #5

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrymm View Post
    thanks for your sincere suggestion but I want users' inputs. Hope you understand.
    Users will always be biased towards what they purchased. You will not get a fair opinion. You should read the reviews in order to get a more neutral assessment, then be an adult and make up your own mind. Then you can make your own opinion of the lens.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Users will always be biased towards what they purchased. You will not get a fair opinion. You should read the reviews in order to get a more neutral assessment, then be an adult and make up your own mind. Then you can make your own opinion of the lens.
    Many thanks. I can understand that. I have gone through several review sites, found that both have good and bad points. That's why I came here where most of you guys have tons of experiences and hoping something different. anyway, again, thank you very much for your time replying me.
    Cheers..
    HMM

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    TS, in the end you just need to answer one question:

    Do you need large aperture more or larger focal length range more?

    Your answer will be clear.

  8. #8
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrymm View Post
    Hello..
    I am very new here.
    Any of you know/use Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85 and the image quality?
    For landscape photo, not for portrait. In fact I don't need the smaller F number of Tamron but the price is cheaper than CANON EF-S 15-85 but I am not sure its image quality.
    I am using Canon EOS-450D.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Cheers
    The Tamron 17-50 is a very good performer which is good value for money.

    I haven't seen many photos from the 15-85, I think, but it should be quite a decent lens as well.

    For landscapes, if you are planning to eventually pair your camera with an Ultra Wide Angle (10-20, 12-24, 11-16, etc), then I suggest you go with the 17-50. If not, then perhaps the 15-85 will be better as you have the flexibility of going wider.

  9. #9
    Member tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back home in Singapore
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrymm View Post
    Hello..
    I am very new here.
    Any of you know/use Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85 and the image quality?
    For landscape photo, not for portrait. In fact I don't need the smaller F number of Tamron but the price is cheaper than CANON EF-S 15-85 but I am not sure its image quality.
    I am using Canon EOS-450D.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Cheers
    I used the 15-85mm for a short period b4 I pass it over to my dad. It is a good walkabout lens. My copy is sharp and the AF is fast (imo), not noisy and pretty solid to feel. My dad likes it, I don't. Y?

    Somehow I always feel that it is not wide enough when I am composing landscape photos, partially because I use the 10-22, and 5mm really do make a lot of difference for a dramatic landscape shot.

    IMHO, If u are into landscape photo, and have the $, go for the 10-22.

  10. #10

    Default

    Also just ask do you need longer reach / zoom. 17-50 non vc is a good lens. No need too carry over that it is a non canon lens

  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Get the 17-50! Its cheap and its awesomeness! Steady steady pom pi pi!

    Ok, did that convince you?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    I'm one of happy user of 15-85mm. the IQ is superb. You can check at my blogspot. http://bsentosa.blogspot.com

    The marina bay is the one, and the fireworks is the one that I shoot using 15-85mm.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    Get the 17-50! Its cheap and its awesomeness! Steady steady pom pi pi!

    Ok, did that convince you?
    So you really know about the lens? you use it?
    Thanks.
    HMM

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Anyone know about Tamron 17-50 or CANON EF-S 15-85

    Quote Originally Posted by be2st View Post
    I'm one of happy user of 15-85mm. the IQ is superb. You can check at my blogspot. http://bsentosa.blogspot.com

    The marina bay is the one, and the fireworks is the one that I shoot using 15-85mm.
    Hello, many thanks for your time replying me. And love your blog site, its beautiful.
    Most probably I will go for it.
    thanks again.
    HMM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •