Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

  1. #1

    Default Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    I'm using a D90 & am thinking of getting the small SB400 flash. Since I also have the small Canon 270EX flash, I tried using it on the D90, & it works. I'm glad because I don't have to buy a Nikon flash. But I didn't use the combination for long because I don't know whether they are made for each other.

    Can anyone tell me whether it is ok to use a Canon flash on a Nikon body (D90) in the long term? Will I lose any function? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Here are my guesses:

    High Speed Sync (Shutter speed 250 and above)
    i-TTL BL (balanced compensated flash)
    Master/Remote commander wireless control

  3. #3
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    not sure but i don't think you have ittl....
    nikon is renowned for its flash system... and using a nikon flash ensures full compatibility.
    that's some food for thought
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chowm4 View Post
    I'm using a D90 & am thinking of getting the small SB400 flash. Since I also have the small Canon 270EX flash, I tried using it on the D90, & it works. I'm glad because I don't have to buy a Nikon flash. But I didn't use the combination for long because I don't know whether they are made for each other.

    Can anyone tell me whether it is ok to use a Canon flash on a Nikon body (D90) in the long term? Will I lose any function? Thanks.
    I do have a D90 and a 270Ex as well, It never came to my mind to try them on together! Okay,...go back tonight and try......
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacroMarlin View Post
    I do have a D90 and a 270Ex as well, It never came to my mind to try them on together! Okay,...go back tonight and try......
    my dad bought a Nissin 622 Mk II for his Canon, can this be used for D90 too??
    any one used this before?? thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Beware that the voltages of the flash may be incompatible with the camera. The flash may fry the camera. Be warned...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    I tried putting the 270 onto the D90, fitting is uncomfortably tight, ...mission aborted!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    I've been shooting with the Canon 270 flash on my D90 longer than before, & so far they are working well together, except that the Canon flash would turn off if inactive for more than a min. I had to turn off & turn on again. A bit irritating, but otherwise it works, & photos turn out nice to my taste. Will shoot more over the CNY holidays.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    I do agree that the 270Ex (on my Canon) is an excellent small fill-in flash. An excellent substitution for the camera flash, which is often too harsh and positioned too low, for both the Nikon and Canon.

    Never get the chance to play with the SB400 for comparison though...
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chowm4 View Post
    I've been shooting with the Canon 270 flash on my D90 longer than before, & so far they are working well together, except that the Canon flash would turn off if inactive for more than a min. I had to turn off & turn on again. A bit irritating, but otherwise it works, & photos turn out nice to my taste. Will shoot more over the CNY holidays.
    How about the E-TTL ? Is it still working ?

    Hmm.. interesting
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Did some more shooting over the CNY holidays. Found out that my D90 doesn't recognize the Canon 270 flash, that means no TTL. But the photos turned out nice & histograms show good exposure, esp. with the diffuser on. I guess the Canon flash (or any other brand) works on Nikon cameras but manually. I'm happy with the results. These are my last words on this thread.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Beware that the voltages of the flash may be incompatible with the camera. The flash may fry the camera. Be warned...
    voltage will not be an issue with the newer flashes. old vintage flash is highly dangerous though.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Can use Canon flash on Nikon camera?

    i think this is the first time i've heard this being asked haha! usually its the other way around..

    you'll be able to use only manual iirc.. no long term "effects"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •