Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

  1. #1

    Default Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies


    Marina Bay Sands by gyverchangphotos, on Flickr

    1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like some feedback on the composition, exposure, contrast etc. Whether it is a striking image or just another normal photo of MBS

    2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    A nice post-card quality photo of MBS.

    3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    It was quite a sunny but cloudy day, the skies are quite dark. After this shot, a few moments later the skies turn even darker.

    4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

    The color of the skies are nice and the reflections of the hotels are visible but the water seems to give a dull combination.

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

    U need to be a little careful with metering a scene like this.... the sky's blown and other parts of the image looks over exposed in your effort to meter the buildings

    it tough under high-noon conditions..... try a much earlier or later part of the day .... perspective wise, the buildings seem to be slanting a little.... this and a couple of perspectives have been shot almost to death ..... try something different ....again u have little choice but to move around and work with the composition

    best wishes
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    U need to be a little careful with metering a scene like this.... the sky's blown and other parts of the image looks over exposed in your effort to meter the buildings

    it tough under high-noon conditions..... try a much earlier or later part of the day .... perspective wise, the buildings seem to be slanting a little.... this and a couple of perspectives have been shot almost to death ..... try something different ....again u have little choice but to move around and work with the composition

    best wishes
    yup, i agree, near first light or last light would be good. or after last light also can, but theres a short time frame for that
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  4. #4

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

    and did u do do much editing? exposure looks a bit......weird....
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  5. #5

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

    seems like horizon is a bit lower on right side, do note the exposure of the skies... HDR could "solve" this perhaps?
    Playing with M43.

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands Against The Skies

    Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    ... HDR could "solve" this perhaps?
    Bingo !

    wanting a great sky AND a perfectly lit subject in a single exposure especially in your situation is tough especially after you've blown out the sky ..... the dynamic range of the sensor will not be that wide ..... thats when decisions will need to be made ..... where do you want your exposure bias to lean towards ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    U need to be a little careful with metering a scene like this.... the sky's blown and other parts of the image looks over exposed in your effort to meter the buildings

    it tough under high-noon conditions..... try a much earlier or later part of the day .... perspective wise, the buildings seem to be slanting a little.... this and a couple of perspectives have been shot almost to death ..... try something different ....again u have little choice but to move around and work with the composition

    best wishes
    Thanks for the reply, been waiting for once since last week.. How do u use the metering correctly? Never ever take much account to metering, I only care about the iso, aperture and shutter speed so far.

    If there is a Greyish day like this, doesn't that mean that it's totally a wrong day to take photos?

    Or there are other things to focus on? Usually I'll carry on taking photos and enhance them after that..

    Thanks for your feedback.. Been trying to find a better angle to capture MBS..

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628

    yup, i agree, near first light or last light would be good. or after last light also can, but theres a short time frame for that
    Yep, the lighting will look best either before sunset and after.. But I can't find time nowadays, and it have been raining.. Thanks for the feedback!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628
    and did u do do much editing? exposure looks a bit......weird....
    Yep, I did editing, especially trying to make the skies blue but I think I failed miserably. There was too much details lost Coz of over exposure due to the sun behind the grey clouds..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119

    Bingo !

    wanting a great sky AND a perfectly lit subject in a single exposure especially in your situation is tough especially after you've blown out the sky ..... the dynamic range of the sensor will not be that wide ..... thats when decisions will need to be made ..... where do you want your exposure bias to lean towards ?
    To Akatsuki and Ed, thanks for the suggestion.. I did think of making it to a hdr, but I thought that hdr is getting a little common nowadays, and I know I can never get a nice detail and scene out of the water because it's so grey. Moreover, I only have one raw exposure of this picture, don't think I will get a good hdr out of it..

    Thanks for all your feedback guys! Appreciate it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •