Thread: ND Filter

Default ND Filter

Hi All,

I am looking for a ND filter. Could anyone please advice which type of ND filter should i get? ND4 or ND8? IS it common that we use ND filter during sunrise & sunset shooting?

Also there is 2 type of ND filter. The round type that mount on the lenses and the square type.. which is better?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: ND Filter

First ask yourself, what do you need ND for?
    ND simply cuts the amount of light, without significantly changing the colors. The most common uses of ND is to drag the shutter, either
    a) slow the shutter below X-sync in order to shoot at large aperture with flash strobe, or
    b) slow the shutter so much to get a minute-long exposure in daylight.

As for sunrise and sunset - maybe, for case (b) above. Graduated ND may be useful in reducing scene contrast at sunrise/set though.

Circular filters are screwed-on. Square filters need to be mounted on a bracket in front of the lens. Usually the filters are not coated so reflection can be strong.

1. Depends on what you need. Already discussed to death.
    2. Not necessarily. Depends on your style. You might choose a GND as well. Discussed to deat.
    3. The better one is the one you know how to use. Also already discussed to death.
    Alpha

Smile Re: ND Filter

Might to use Variable ND Filter , also if you want to .

http://www.lightcraftworkshop.com/site/page1000.html

Quote Originally Posted by grantyale View Post
    First ask yourself, what do you need ND for?
    ND simply cuts the amount of light, without significantly changing the colors. The most common uses of ND is to drag the shutter, either
    a) slow the shutter below X-sync in order to shoot at large aperture with flash strobe, or
    b) slow the shutter so much to get a minute-long exposure in daylight.

As for sunrise and sunset - maybe, for case (b) above. Graduated ND may be useful in reducing scene contrast at sunrise/set though.

Circular filters are screwed-on. Square filters need to be mounted on a bracket in front of the lens. Usually the filters are not coated so reflection can be strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Depends on what you need. Already discussed to death.
    2. Not necessarily. Depends on your style. You might choose a GND as well. Discussed to deat.
    3. The better one is the one you know how to use. Also already discussed to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by biskandar View Post
    Might to use Variable ND Filter , also if you want to .

http://www.lightcraftworkshop.com/site/page1000.html
    Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I will do more research on my side and get the correct filter. Looks like i need to get GND instead of ND4/8

Quote Originally Posted by weisiong View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I will do more research on my side and get the correct filter. Looks like i need to get GND instead of ND4/8
    only you can answer that question once you know what you intend to shoot, and the circumstances/conditions that you'll be shooting in.

Try to read up more about the pros and cons of the different types of filters.
    Exploring! :)